Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tourist cabins, auto and motor courts

Some call 'em "motel chairs," Bob, so we're still on topic, kinda.

https://www.thespruce.com/brief-history-of-metal-lawn-furniture-2736861

http://www.mensjournal.com/gear/outdoor/the-lost-history-of-the-american-lawn-chair-20150630

https://www.amazon.com/A-History-Metal-Lawn-Chair/dp/098464587X

Quick review of the literature indicates, if the sources can be trusted, that the cantilever style stamped steel lawn chair was produced by one manufacturer until 1996, and was revived by another in '02. Now there are numerous manufacturers producing similar styles in what it's probably safe to assume are varying degrees of quality. I've seen them on offer in numerous places in recent years, ranging in price from quite inexpensive to you-can't-possibly-be-serious.

I read in an interior design rag recently that, contrary to received wisdom, and intuition, the post-War/Mid-Century look is more favored by younger folks (the so-called Gen-Xers, Millennials, etc.) than by people their parents' and grandparents' ages. Don't know if I accept that at face value; don't know that I don't, either.

Last edited:
We have a pair like this where we just clear coated over the many layers of paint (or lack thereof).

3f9709af55b3d50af93cca97d48ce1cc.jpg

We have a pair like this where we just clear coated over the many layers of paint (or lack thereof).

3f9709af55b3d50af93cca97d48ce1cc.jpg

Speaks to its quality that it's still sound and serviceable after what must be decades of use and exposure to the elements. I doubt that the lower-end "retro" versions made these days will hold up nearly so well.

My cursory reading has it that this basic type of chair has been around since the 1930s, but didn't really take off until after the War, when sales exploded along with suburban growth. Got a lawn, Joe Anyman? Gotta have a set of lawn chairs.

Speaks to its quality that it's still sound and serviceable after what must be decades of use and exposure to the elements. I doubt that the lower-end "retro" versions made these days will hold up nearly so well...
Back in the late-70s one of my work supervisors, in reference to "quality", made the comment, "The problem with American-made products these days is that they're made to sell, not to use." The older I get, the more he's been proven right.

Back in the late-70s one of my work supervisors, in reference to "quality", made the comment, "The problem with American-made products these days is that they're made to sell, not to use." The older I get, the more he's been proven right.

It's not just American products, of course. Some consumer products (note the qualifier) are superior to what was made 50, 60, 70 years ago, by many measures, durability and utility among them.

And many aren't. Many people these days have come to regard furniture much as they do clothing -- something that will wear out about the time it goes out of style. Hence the crowds at IKEA and the big furniture discount houses who buy lots and lots of advertising.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
There is a strongly held and cherished belief in some circles that in some vague time in the past, sometime around 1964, when very high quality products were available at rock bottom price (just check the prices in old catalogs) and everyone shopped at Brooks Brothers and wore Palm Beach suits in the summer. Moreover, everyone had always dressed the way they dressed in 1964 and still does, if they have any sense. But I guess I don't because I don't.

As far as lawn chairs go, I think the most comfortable ones by far are the folding kind made with nylon webbing. Aside from the comfort, they're more convenient when you go to cookouts and are asked to bring your own chairs, because nobody has 30 or 40 lawn chairs.

There have always been cheaply made products available at cheap prices because there's a healthy market for things like that. The only difference is, we used to make our own junk. Now we import it. You can still buy American-made products of good or better quality. Prices are high, though. So don't complain about imported products. Buy American if you can afford it. The manufacturers and retailers will appreciate it.

For some reason, British made products don't seem to count as imported for some people.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
If it never went out of production, is it still a reproduction?

If it never went out of production and is built with the same original specs
and material by the company, it is not a reproduction.
Most items over the years have modifications, different material or added features.

I have original Schwinn Phantom bikes that were first built in the Chicago Schwinn factory from the ‘50s. The quality is very good.
They discontinued in late ‘50s.

I also have a “reproduction” Schwinn Phantom bicycle that was built by another company using the Scwhinn tooling and plans from the originals.

Other components of the bike not available were created with modern parts.
This is rare in that over the years this bike which I ride daily has not broken down and is almost as good as the originals that are still in great condition after more than half a century old.

1995 Deluxe Black Phantom (reproduction)
3vwc4.png

Original Green Phantom.
j0b3lz.jpg

Last edited:
If it never went out of production and is built with the same original specs
and material by the company, it is not a reproduction.
Most items over the years have modifications, different material or added features....

We've touched on this topic in several other threads over the years - I wonder how few (and how many we could name) products exist that are truly unchanged (based on 2jakes smart definition) of an original product that is, say, 50 or more years old?

It seems like something is always modified or altered or an ingredient substituted (or added or taken out) or the process "updated" to somehow make even the oldest and (seemingly) simplest products different in some small or large way form how they started out (I'm still angry at Ovaltine for changing).

Edit add: I'll kick it off - what about Ivory Soap, has that ever changed in any way?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^^
That is my sentiments with regards to “Ovaltine”.

Thank you Fading Fast.

No one in the family believes me.

I’m glad some one else shares this and I’m not going “bonkers”! :D

Btw:
I’ve found that if I mix Hershey’s Natural unsweetened cocoa with
Carnation’s malted milk chocolate powder with the right amount,
the flavor comes close to the malted milk shakes I enjoyed at the
local soda fountain at the drugstores from the ‘50s.

But you have to prepare the Hershey’s powder as it will not mix
if added directly.

To stay on topic, I will rent a cabin that has old metal lawn chairs
and enjoy the sounds of the animals in the forest while I enjoy my
drink. :D

Last edited:

3fingers

One Too Many
To go back OT for a moment, we have a couple of old metal chairs that a neighbor put out on the curb some years ago. My grandparents had the same ones. My wife's family had the chairs and a glider when she was a child and she would like to have them again. We have looked at a couple of the reproductionsame and found them of pretty sorry quality. Thin seats and the tubing was like large diameter curtain rods. The search for either vintage or decent quality new ones continues.

To go back OT for a moment, we have a couple of old metal chairs that a neighbor put out on the curb some years ago. My grandparents had the same ones. My wife's family had the chairs and a glider when she was a child and she would like to have them again. We have looked at a couple of the reproductionsame and found them of pretty sorry quality. Thin seats and the tubing was like large diameter curtain rods. The search for either vintage or decent quality new ones continues.

That's a good approach. The right stuff is out there somewhere. It'll show up.

Have you checked out what that Skip Torrans fellow in Texas is making? If so, have you formulated an opinion?

3fingers

One Too Many
That's a good approach. The right stuff is out there somewhere. It'll show up.

Have you checked out what that Skip Torrans fellow in Texas is making? If so, have you formulated an opinion?
I have not had a chance to actually see any of it. It looks good on the website and the price is only slightly higher than what we have looked at. My wife's birthday is next month, so I may have to roll the dice on a piece or two.

I have not had a chance to actually see any of it. It looks good on the website and the price is only slightly higher than what we have looked at. My wife's birthday is next month, so I may have to roll the dice on a piece or two.

That's perhaps the greatest shortcoming of online retailing: the would-be purchaser just can't tell from the images what he would readily ascertain "in person."

I take as a good sign that Torrans states explicitly the gauge of the steel and that the color finish is powder coat.

I'd consider buying a couple of 'em myself, but I already have a more than adequate supply of outdoor furniture -- a few pieces of wicker and several of those folding wood-framed jobs with striped fabric seating surfaces. Over the years I've found several such pieces with still sturdy frames but stretched and even torn fabric. Replacing the fabric is about as simple as sewing a pillow sham, so even I can do a presentable job of it.

The fabrics available today are in some ways superior to this purpose than what was used when that furniture was new. And it still looks "right." I suspect that in the case of the stamped-steel cantilever "motel" chairs, finishes available today are superior to what was used 60-plus years ago.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

I’ve found them at antique and auto swap meets, flea-markets and
garage sales which I go on the weekends around the small towns
in my area.
It is very relaxing for me.

But I have been fortunate that my job requires that I travel all over the
city and surrounding areas for the TV news.
The best source at one time was a friend who worked for the
city code compliance.
He provided me with information regarding abandoned buildings that
were going to be demolished by the city.

I collect old bicycles. I visited an old bike shop from the 30s that was
going to be torn down.
I paid the owner to have a look before the caterpillars did their thing.
I was like a kid in a candy store. So many parts that are no longer available.
It was grand! :)

Last edited:

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I thought we were the only ones who called it a "glider." I doubt that any motel, motor courts or tourist cabins had any, though.

I’ve found them at antique and auto swap meets, flea-markets and
garage sales which I go on the weekends around the small towns
in my area. ...

I saw one in really rough condition at an antique/vintage show I attended yesterday. Quite rusty, and at some point in its life steel bars had been added between the tubing at the rear of the seat and the tubing on the bottom. So it wasn't really a cantilever chair anymore. It was marked 65 bucks. Maybe somebody would use it for garden art.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We've touched on this topic in several other threads over the years - I wonder how few (and how many we could name) products exist that are truly unchanged (based on 2jakes smart definition) of an original product that is, say, 50 or more years old?

It seems like something is always modified or altered or an ingredient substituted (or added or taken out) or the process "updated" to somehow make even the oldest and (seemingly) simplest products different in some small or large way form how they started out (I'm still angry at Ovaltine for changing).

Edit add: I'll kick it off - what about Ivory Soap, has that ever changed in any way?

Formula-wise it's the same as it was a hundred and twenty years ago -- a basic white soap whipped with air to make it float. Even the perfume is the same. But size wise, the bar you get in the store today is half the size of the bar you got in 1940.

Formula-wise it's the same as it was a hundred and twenty years ago -- a basic white soap whipped with air to make it float. Even the perfume is the same. But size wise, the bar you get in the store today is half the size of the bar you got in 1940.

Of course. I bought an Entenmann's cake the other day and - as I do more often now because of FL - I noted the size was 1lb 2oz. Give me a break, first, the cake just felt small versus what I remember it to be and, second, no mind ever first sized a package cake at 1lb 2oz. You know that was probably a pound and half or even two before they started shaving ounces off over time to slightly cheat their customers. It's so obnoxious.

Any other products that haven't changed besides Ivory come to mind?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ