Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tourist cabins, auto and motor courts

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Formula-wise it's the same as it was a hundred and twenty years ago -- a basic white soap whipped with air to make it float. Even the perfume is the same. But size wise, the bar you get in the store today is half the size of the bar you got in 1940.

My grandmother made soap in the backyard using an old black kettle pot.
The aroma was heavy. I loved the odor.
Today, available at a rustic shop are products that simulate handmade things
from the past.
Most items are what I call “bric-a-bac”. They look good at first but fall apart or
cannot compare with the originals.

Btw: On Sundays my grandma would wear a black shawl, dress and granny
shoes, the ones with black laces.

If I was to see her on the street and I didn’t know her....she would’ve
scared the “beejeesus outa of me”! :(

I had just seen Disney’s "Snow White”.
snowwhiteoldhag.jpg

But,I had no fear of her because she loved me dearly,
When I had a cold, she would prepare breakfast for me in
a round wooden tray with bacon & eggs, toast and honey
and chocolate malt flavored drink and served it to me in bed. :)

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You can still buy a 44-BX microphone built to the same specifications as one built by RCA in 1938 -- except it's no longer built by RCA, which hasn't built a microphone in forty years. A technician in California reverse-engineered an original unit and created the necessary tooling to resume production back in the '90s, and has been at it ever since. They are very very expensive, but all of the parts directly interchange with the original RCA models.

R44_version_matrix_01.jpg

Gorgeous Golden Era iconic mike. While it technically meets "our" criteria, in truth, it's really a reproduction made to original specs versus even a "legacy" company still making the mike.

I know from some friends of mine that are car buffs that they can buy some parts for their cars that are made the same way as the mike - made exactly to original specs by small companies or one-guy operations oriented to buffs - but that doesn't really feel the same to me as a company (or legacy company) still making a product - the same way with the same materials or ingredients - for sale in a modern competitive marketplace (not just to niche fans).

We have probably a dozen vintage lawn chairs at the farm (and a few more in town). Always on the lookout for more...

37052812726_d13369f717.jpg
37052813026_f73de2f10e.jpg

Back on topic ... here's a still operational motor court in Springfield, MO.

37461018.jpg

Just read of a person referring to these types of chairs as "candybouncers." It's the first I'd ever heard that word, but it seems to fit this application, and another I can think of, but this is a family joint, so ...

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
l
Gorgeous Golden Era iconic mike. While it technically meets "our" criteria, in truth, it's really a reproduction made to original specs versus even a "legacy" company still making the mike.

I know from some friends of mine that are car buffs that they can buy some parts for their cars that are made the same way as the mike - made exactly to original specs by small companies or one-guy operations oriented to buffs - but that doesn't really feel the same to me as a company (or legacy company) still making a product - the same way with the same materials or ingredients - for sale in a modern competitive marketplace (not just to niche fans).

Ray-O-Vac 2 cell battery flashlight comes
close.
IMG_9869.JPG

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
As much as I love those old flashlights I could not be persuaded to give up my led lights to go back to them. Now if I could adapt a modern set of leds into that case, I'd be in like Flynn.

Best of both worlds!
Instead of kerosene which was originally used to light my 1900s bicycle lantern.
I installed small led light unit inside the compartment.
It’s brighter, easier, and safer.

: 3e191a7600fa11ab3adf29ae31200955.jpg

I have not had a chance to actually see any of it. It looks good on the website and the price is only slightly higher than what we have looked at. My wife's birthday is next month, so I may have to roll the dice on a piece or two.

Hey Fingers, I determined that I do indeed have a good place for one of these chairs. I just now ordered one from Torrans, a "Parklane" model in green. The model regularly retails for $112.99, but it's $50.99 on closeout, plus $18.64 to ship it UPS Ground to my zip code. So almost 70 bucks. I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

3fingers

One Too Many
Excellent. That price, even with shipping, is far less than the cheapest version offered by the local branch of the Evil Empire (Walmart ).

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

Just for laughs, I checked eBay: original RCA ribbon mikes are for sale but, as Miss Lizzie noted on the quality repros, they don't run cheap.

Excellent. That price, even with shipping, is far less than the cheapest version offered by the local branch of the Evil Empire (Walmart ).

Further reading reveals that Torrans's chairs are manufactured in China, on exclusive tooling owned by Torrans, with what they say are heavier-duty materials than was used in the originals BITD. They also note that their products are not sold through Walmart or Target or any of the big-box home improvement warehouse stores. Similar-appearing stuff there ain't their stuff.

Again, I'll let you know what I think of it once I have it assembled and plop my rump down on it.

3fingers

One Too Many
Further reading reveals that Torrans's chairs are manufactured in China, on exclusive tooling owned by Torrans, with what they say are heavier-duty materials than was used in the originals BITD. They also note that their products are not sold through Walmart or Target or any of the big-box home improvement warehouse stores. Similar-appearing stuff there ain't their stuff.

Again, I'll let you know what I think of it once I have it assembled and plop my rump down on it.
I had assumed that the chairs were imported since there was no claim made on the site of being of U.S. manufacture. Disappointing, but it is the way of the world it seems. If only people would have rejected Jack Welch's Chinese toasters.

I had assumed that the chairs were imported since there was no claim made on the site of being of U.S. manufacture. Disappointing, but it is the way of the world it seems. If only people would have rejected Jack Welch's Chinese toasters.

UPS dropped off chair today. Well packaged, no damage. Fairly easy assembly. An entire second set of hardware and instructions was included, so I got even more nuts and bolts I'll probably never use.

Quality is, well, not bad. Tubing and the stamped pieces (seat and back) seem plenty sturdy. No "oil canning." Thoughtful design. Provision made for draining water where it would be likeliest to collect.

Is it as good as the ones made BITD? Hell, I dunno. But at the closeout price, I'm confident I got a good value. Anyone with half a critical eye would know from 20 feet away that it isn't an original vintage piece, because it's shiny new, for one thing, But it is a design dating from 1946, according to Torrans, and I got no reason to doubt it.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
UPS dropped off chair today. Well packaged, no damage. Fairly easy assembly. An entire second set of hardware and instructions were included, so I got even more nuts and bolts I'll probably never use.

Quality is, well, not bad. Tubing and the stamped pieces (seat and back) seem plenty sturdy. No "oil canning." Thoughtful design. Provision made for draining water where it would be likeliest to collect.

Is it as good as the ones made BITD? Hell, I dunno. But at the closeout price, I'm confident I got a good value. Anyone with half a critical eye would know from 20 feet away that it isn't an original vintage piece, because it's shiny new, for one thing, But it is a design dating from 1946, according to Torrans, and I got no reason to doubt it.

The metal "double" glider lawn chairs
available from Torrans looks very similar to my originals.
I read that they are using the same tooling as 1946.

These chairs are made to last.

The metal "double" glider lawn chairs
available from Torrans looks very similar to my originals.
I read that they are using the same tooling as 1946.

These chairs are made to last.

I like that they sell parts. They say their replacement tubular cantilever frames work for most chairs of that type made BITD.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points