Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
So.......I tracked down this trench. I found one of these stores in my general area. I called, and they did have the coat in question. I made my way through rush hour traffic. For those unfamiliar with LA traffic....picture the chase scene in The French Connection (No. Not the Saddam/Chirac version) and that will give you an idea.

I arrived at the store, walked in the front door.....and not a coat in sight. Not just a TRENCH coat....but ANY coat! I wondered if I had entered the wrong store. Nope This was indeed the "Burlington Coat Factory. There was no factory, no factory workers AND no coats that I could see.

After walking 2/3 of the way through the building, I finally found some coats. I made my way to the trench coats and tracked down the tranch in question.

Like the photos showed, the cut was closer to THE Bogart Casablanca coat than anything else I have seen. The color too was very good. The price was fantastic.

Unfortunately the quality was not what I had hoped. You see.....I have a super London Fog trench coat. It is made to do-the-deed. I am confident that it will stand up to real weather with flying colors. The "Misty Harbor Original" looks like a costume by comparison. It is a shame.

I passed.:cry:

On the brighter side.....I found a really great tie and shirt that look right out of Tucker. Actually the suit that was on display was perfect for it too.....but they didn't have that in my size.

So....I bought a shirt and tie at a "coat factory"....that was neither. ;)

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Well, Actually, BCF is just an outlet store of many things. I bought my best pants there....and my crappiest fur felt fedora. And I don't know much about trench coats, but mine is more than good enough for me. Maybe you saw a defective one, or maybe London Fog is really that much better. Oh well, glad you got a tie and shirt :D

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
And I don't know much about trench coats, but mine is more than good enough for me.

Hey, You look great in your trench coat and Fedora. I think you got yourself a real Bogie trench and you carry it off well. :D

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
They are fine. I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade.....or raincoat.

I just am lucky to have one of London Fog's top trench coats and I know that when it rains I would be reaching for it instead.

You might want to Scotch-Guard those puppies. That way they should perform well.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Hmmm..... I used to have a London Fog coat and loved it. Great quality. However, the look of this coat is great. Now I'm in a quandry. I suppose I should just go to the BCF and see for myself. There is one in the area and it would be an easy outing to check it out.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
IndianaGuybrush

If you ever have the chance i wear a size 46R I think you are to go down one size of your suit which is 48R. to pick me one up i would appreciate it. Where i live it won't get worn that much. I do like the Bogie style.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
IndianaGuybrush

If you ever have the chance i wear a size 46R I think you are to go down one size of your suit which is 48R. to pick me one up i would appreciate it. Where i live it won't get worn that much. I do like the Bogie style.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If this was directed to me, I'll look into it for you. I'm going to be out of commission for at least a few days, but once I get back on my feet I'll go into San Francisco and check it out. Are you sure about that sizing thing though? I would think you'd go up one size. Let me know.

Mike

rayk

Familiar Face
I've read somewhere that Bogie's Casablanca trench coat was desiged by Aquascutum of London. I have two trench coats by this maker, a single breasted and the classic double beasted, and they are constructed to the very highest standards. This Aquascutum trench coat in 46R (that's you SHARPETOYS) is a tad pricy, but what a beauty.

The other standard the industry, Burberry, is rumored to have had a bit of slide in quality; although, this is second hand information

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
That site is as bad as the guys selling leather hats on E-bay as "Indiana Jones" hats.

The Casablanca trench coat might have been a Aquascutum, but it is nothing like the ones they sell now. The current ones only have one gun flap amoungst other problems. I have heard people claim it was a Burburry too. I have put a lot of time......too much time.....researching this. There are no clear answers......yet.;)

rayk

Familiar Face
Just curious, MK....what is it that you found disreputable about English Hall? I can't offer a defense, as I've never bought anything from them, but neither have I heard that the Aquascutum products that they sell are anything other than genuine. No claim is made on the English Hall site (at least that I've seen) that states that Bogie wore an aquascutum, but only that he favored a similarly styled coat.

I was at one point considering buying from them, but chose the safer alternative of buying from Aquascutum on Madison Ave. I don't want to recommend a site that is not what it claims to be, so I'd appreciate any info that you might have. Thanks.

rayk

Familiar Face
I'd be willing to pay $1000+ for a coat that I found to be of excellent quality materials, construction, and tailoring; however, I'd be very selective before providing that commission. A very high quality trench coat that is well cared for will last you a minimum of 20 years. I've owned quite a few "upscale" trench coats, but very few that were of impeccable quality and styled in tradition.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I would very much like a true Casablanca trench coat.....but not for a grand. I also don't think I .......or most people...need a custom tailored trench coat. I might be willing to pay $300-400.....if a great company like London Fog or Burburry were to make it. You see....I want the coat to be functional and robust. I think a company that has many years of experience making trench coats is the best capable to make what we want. The problem is big corporations usually don't care what a few enthusiasts want. :cry:

Perhaps a better candidate can be found.[huh]

BTW: Who locked the poll?

rayk

Familiar Face
For $1000, one generally can't expect to get a custom tailored coat. Burberry runs about $1000 RTW...unless you are lucky enough to find one on Ebay. I completely agree with MK that a custom tailored trench coat is a bit over the top...more a shibboleth of one of the heavy wallet brigade than a sartorial necessity. But, for what it's worth, I've been buying bespoke clothing for years at prices that are usually considered unreasonable by those who are not hopeless aficionados, i.e. $4000 for a two piece suit, or $3000 for a pair of shoes; but before dismissing such purchases as absurd, consider how much you've paid, or would be willing to pay, for that special hat, and then remember that it's all relative. We're all in this together :D Now where have I heard that before?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Originally posted by rayk
Just curious, MK....what is it that you found disreputable about English Hall? I don't want to recommend a site that is not what it claims to be, so I'd appreciate any info that you might have. Thanks.

It is not that it is a bad coat. It is just that London Fog's top of the line coat is much better.

To my knowledge, Aquascutum doesn't come out and claim their coat was used in Casablanca. Their legal team are not going to make that mistake. I have tried thier coats on.....but I felt they were very overpriced.

I am just a novice on this subject. Our very own Marlowe is the real expert here. I am sure he will pipe in with some profound observations.

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
My first post in this thread was way back in November, 2003. Since, at that time, there seemed to be almost no interest in the project on this forum, I quietly let the matter drop with the prospective vendor.

The vendor that I had in mind is in an especially rainy part of England (somewhat north of Manchester, as I recall) and has lots of experience building custom and semi-custom raincoats. Their usual fare is the mackintosh, which is a raincoat made from a rubberized material to make it waterproof. I don't think that rubberized material would necessarily be required for the "Blaine" coat, but if I/we can get some sort of pattern standardized, you could just get in touch with the vendor and have it made to your own specs. (For instance, say you live in northern Oregon or Washington, and you WANT rubberized material for the shell in order to keep you warm as well as dry, you could order yours that way, whereas I, who live in sweltering central Florida, could order one made of a light cotton twill and have it waterproofed, since I want to stay dry, not warm.)

The reason I contacted this particular vendor is that they make raincoats for people who get rained on. Of course, various features could effect the price of the finished coat--zip-in or button-in inner liners, interior pockets, type of material that the coat's shell is made from, etc.

I think that the important thing would be to get the visual details of the coat all worked out. Then, once a pattern is made, it could be adapted to our different requirements and sizes.

So stand and be counted. If you're interested in paying $600-$1000 or so for one of these things, let me know. (That's jut a ballpark figure. The actual article might cost more or less.) I would love to own a "Blaine coat" that's a REAL raincoat, usable in a practical, everyday way. (Every day it rains, or is cold, or I have to see my lover and her Resistance leader husband off at a foggy Moroccan airport, anyway...)

As to the origin of the original coat(s) in the film "Casablanca," I believe that the design was created by the costume department and built by them (or one or more of their subcontractors). The reason I say this is that I have NEVER seen an identical coat to the film coat anywhere at any time.

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't exactly call myself an EXPERT. I doubt I could come up with a flawless pattern for the coat. But I sure bet I could help a patternmaker get it right. (What I think is right, anyway.) I'd sure like to give it a try...

Have a look at the "Casablanca Trench Coat, How Bad Do You Want It?" thread for more on this subject.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
MARLOWE Wrote

Who live in sweltering central Florida, could order one made of a light cotton twill and have it waterproofed, since I want to stay dry, not warm.

Now thats what i want since i live in Florida maybe with a zip out lining for trips up north. So i'm in lets get the info!!

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
You are being modest. You pointed out many attributes to the coat that I had not noticed. I would say you are the "Patterson" of the Blaine trench coat.

Those familiar with Patterson and his research on the Indy jacket know what I mean. ;)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't know about the web supplier

But I did find (as I posted earlier) a dead ringer for Bogart's raincoat..at Nordstroms...their RACK. It was under $100. It also was a LONDON FOG. .I agree with MK that you can't go wrong with that maker. I quite honestly couldn't pull off the look. It did not really look good on me..and well, my wife was with me...so you know sometimes how that goes:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112