Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Sergei

Gone Home
I am just curious. The above picture does show two gun flaps. However the authentic screen used trench coat sold in 2000 only had one gun flap:
http://www.calparalegal.com/collectibles/BogartCoat.htm

TrenchcoatDisplayed.jpg

TrenchcoatDisplayedCloser.jpg

BogartTrenchcoat.jpg

So was there more than one coat? The poster picture, right below the pictures of the auction coats also show one gun flap.
Hmmm....

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
From my eye, the coat is completely different from the one in the airplane scene. look at the collar.
This may be the coat in the train station scene.

Another detail is that the flaps are not gun flaps, they are rain capes or capes used to keep the water from coming into the seam where the coat opens. If the coat is buttoned up all the way the rain flap covers the seam. Some coats had them on both side same as having the extra material hanging in the back because two layers of material worked better at keeping rain from seaping through.

The coat on display is folded backwards, otherwise you could see how the rain cape works.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's right over left not left over right.

Men's clothes are left over right. Women't are right over left.
They folded it wrong for display.
Look at your shirt.

Okay it's not the one from the train scene. Hmmm.

The train scene one is the same as the Airport one.

Sergei

Gone Home
Duhhhhh.... Now I know. Also the letters on the white board proves it was printed right. So it was "buttoned" wrong. Yikes... But still only one flap.

Fuente

Familiar Face
I need to pause the DVD on the back of the trenchcoat. There is a style called the Split Raglan Shoulder in which the front of the coat has a set in sleeve and the back is raglan. Hickey Freeman of Rochester NY made a single breasted topcoat for years called the Flight Coat which had a Split Raglan Sleeve. Somewhere in a closet at home is a doublebreasted version of the flightcoat that Hickey made for me in the mid seventies.

Rich

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
No need. I've paused the DVD plenty of times. The sleeves are set-in, front and back. (But go ahead! As I recall, the best place to see the back of the coat is the train station scene, especially as Rick [Bogey] walks toward and steps aboard the train.)

The trench coat in the movie is the same in the train station scene and the airport scene. The trenchcoat sold as "authentic, screen-used" is definitely not the trench coat Bogey wore in Casablanca. I suppose it's possible it was used in Across the Pacific or The Big Sleep. I'd have to get out my copy of The Big Sleep to check. It might also have been used for publicity photos for Casablanca, but it's certainly not the one actually used in the movie.

Back in November of '03 I wrote that I thought that it might be worthwhile to try to get someone to manufacture a replica of the Casablanca trench coat made. I contacted a few places, but didn't come up with anyone who seemed very interested. I'm leaning a lot more toward mytailor.com or some other such outfit.

Victor

One of the Regulars
I recently bought a military trench coat on ebay for about $25 puls shipping. It was brand new and stated the size as 46. This coat is black and has one "gun flap". It seems to be a sturdy and good looking coat but when it arrived it was a 46S! Now I am six feet tall and have always had pretty long arms so was quite dissapointed with teh length though the shoulders and chest fit perfectly. I didn't want to get a refund so took it to a tailor and had them lengthen teh sleeves and inch and that seemed to solve the arm problem though the wrist straps are now an inch higher up from teh wrist (probably no big deal). I wasn't sure about the propper length as this coat comes to maybe an inch below my kneecaps but from looking at your pictures it looks like bogies was the same length.
' Now just trying to decide what hat goes best with a black trenchcoat.My brown Indy doesn't work at all with this coat. A black or charcoal fedora seems to be the ticket. Time to get a new hat before winter is over.......

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Marine Trench Coat?

I was sitting in an airport a few months ago and saw a Marine wearing a trenchcoat. Anyone know where to get these besides @ the surplus stores? I can't seem to find one near me.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Are you sure it was actually USGI?

From what I recall, trenchcoats are historically a private-purchase garment in the US military. My 1943 Officer's Guide even informs new officers not to purchase the things because they are not an offical part of the uniform.

Maybe the Marines are different though.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
In order for the Marines to cut some corners in the 80s, the got rid of the green raincoat and wool overcoat and issued a khaki greenish trench coat. The current issue coat serves two purposes, rain coat and cold weather dress coat.

Matt, the coats you currently see are either leftovers that holdouts are wearing or, the wool coats are still athorized in some cases. Mostly for units that are still athorized to wear the green barracks cover, like the Marine Band and Silent Drill Team, etc...

Ghosty, just join the USMC and they will be happy to give you the trench coat.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I used to wear one but I am sort of afraid now that if I wear it people will think I am trying to be Bogart just like that guy in the other thread was afraid everyone thought he was Indiana Jones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points