Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Surely, my cheaper trenchcoats seem to be made of gabardine-styled twill, too (same texture). But, off course, it's cheaper polyestre (59%)/cotton (41%)-twill and not comparable to the original textile.

Marcoaerometric

New in Town
Surely, my cheaper trenchcoats seem to be made of gabardine-styled twill, too (same texture). But, off course, it's cheaper polyestre (59%)/cotton (41%)-twill and not comparable to the original textile.
03397ec44f091e2d105ca2185ef37832.jpg
88389ee7f49b7b4b535fbdcde0e597b4.jpg
c4801f2895c1e965d272e54d946d1b98.jpg
6835f84b194fa0a3bb87cffdbe6eebc3.jpg

Some ideas?

Marcoaerometric

New in Town
They are very close. I don't know why but the Burberry is more soft and feel better. It's crazy that there isn't one company that can use a good fabric ( more coat and less plastic mac ) for a good price. Trench is a special cloth. Long last and durable.

But:
1. german storebrand, well made mainstream-raincoat-fabric 59% polyestre/41% cotton >>> https://www.breuninger.com/paul-trenchcoat/1000185390/detail.cmd?variant=1000185390_07011
2. Burberry Brit, well made 100% mainstream-cotton, but just based on the SAME imported mass-market-models, as you can see >>> https://www.breuninger.com/luxus/herren/luxus_herren/search.cmd

3. And then the expensive Burberry ones of upper-(first)class, with their authentic water-repellent (and probably breathable) Gabardine-fabric.

What would you choose?

I would choose my storebrand-trenchie, again. :D

Marcoaerometric

New in Town
But:
1. german storebrand, well made mainstream-raincoat-fabric 59% polyestre/41% cotton >>> https://www.breuninger.com/paul-trenchcoat/1000185390/detail.cmd?variant=1000185390_07011
2. Burberry Brit, well made 100% mainstream-cotton, but just based on the SAME imported mass-market-models, as you can see >>> https://www.breuninger.com/luxus/herren/luxus_herren/search.cmd

3. And then the expensive Burberry ones of upper-(first)class, with their authentic water-repellent (and probably breathable) Gabardine-fabric.

What would you choose?

I would choose my storebrand-trenchie, again. :D
Yeah 1700 euro are too expensive...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Try as I might, I haven't been able to find original suits that fit me, although I did once find a beautiful cream tux for £20 that fitted like a glove.
But this coat is so perfect. I bought it a couple of years ago and was so excited by the find that I posted it here, but not on this thread, or I think not on this thread. The quality and the zipped in lining make it an absolute steal at £70, the vendor even threw the brolly in for an extra £10. The only frustration is that all the identity labels are missing, if they were ever there. There's no evidence of removal, no tiny fringe hidden in the seam, a mystery.

Hal

Practically Family
I tell you, today, I'm seeing once more, that it's absolutely correct, to got both, classic simple raincoats AND trenchcoats. These days, with this bad cold and moist wind, I'm really happy, to have the high popped collars on my trenchcoats, which got up, over my chin until mouth-level...
I haven't found the posting you seem to be answering (who is the "you" whom you are telling?) but your assertion that both styles of raincoat are desirable is undoubtedly right. The classic simple single-breasted raincoat is best for light rain and summer wear, while the trench-coat is for more "serious" rain and should ideally have a detachable warm winter lining. In my view, a trilby/fedora goes well with both these styles, but a cap only with the former.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi guys!
My Traditional Rainwear trench is just arrived after 35 days from the order.
The fabric's quality isn't the best for something like 520 euros.
Same for the stitching especially on the buttons.
Fortunately mine has no issues on the lining.

The worst thing is the comunication...in a polite expression...they ' re not professional.

After a quick look , the Burberry is on other level.

Anyone know what going on with TRW? Their website has been down for at least 2 weeks...have they gone out of business?

I bought one from them a few years ago which is great and was going to get my wife one...

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Glad to see this thread resurrected. Am a big fan of the classic trench coat. In fact, I wore mine to work today. I'm not sure my coworkers know what to make of it. Most of my colleagues are more the minimalist hipster type. I sometimes feel like Stacy Keach's Mike Hammer character from the TV series, who walks around 1980s New York dressed liked he just stepped out of a 1940s film noir movie.

Stacy Keach Mike Hammer.jpg

Hal

Practically Family
Glad to see this thread resurrected. Am a big fan of the classic trench coat. In fact, I wore mine to work today. I'm not sure my coworkers know what to make of it.
Surely it depends on whether you wear the coat (and, I hope, an accompanying hat) for practical reasons (temperature or rain); or for a purely stylistic reason when the weather does not suggest the wearing of a coat and hat. In my experience, people don't react in the former case; for related reasons I don't wear a trilby/fedora without a coat. On this rainy island trench-coats are relatively frequently worn; they are certainly acceptable as spring/autumn topcoats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto