Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's supposedly a coat worn by Bogart, although it doesn't match any I've seen in photos of him on-screen and off-screen. It looks like it was probably an auction photo but I can't find any additional info. Whatever the truth, it's a really cool vintage Aquascutum.

I picked up this US Air Force Topcoat today.
Custom Tailored Air Force Officers Gabardine Trench Coat by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN7206 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It was custom tailored in St Louis Mo during October 1951 for a captain recalled for Korean War duty. It photographs a deeper blue that it appears in life. I'll post more about it in the overcoats thread most likely.

Michael

Spectacular, Michael! Gives me flashbacks to my youth, when my father and his family were in the salvage business. They did a lot with all manner of military surplus, so we had BALES of those, as well as heavier colder weather versions with sterling silver buttons, Army topcoats, officer's hats...

OMG, if I knew then...

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Spectacular, Michael! Gives me flashbacks to my youth, when my father and his family were in the salvage business. They did a lot with all manner of military surplus, so we had BALES of those, as well as heavier colder weather versions with sterling silver buttons, Army topcoats, officer's hats...

OMG, if I knew then...
Dayam. Yes, if we only knew. I remember when I first started visiting thrifts in the late '60s they were full of 1930s and 1940s suits and coats and all other manner. And I'm sure hats galore too. And the army surplus stores were full of actual surplus.

Michael

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wait a second. That's not how you wear a trench coat.
I've noticed that trench coats are quite trendy in women's fashion lately. I hope they make a comeback with men. Then again, nah. I like standing out.

2726.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I've noticed that trench coats are quite trendy in women's fashion lately. I hope they make a comeback with men. Then again, nah. I like standing out.
I don't think long, traditional trench coats are coming back for me, it's going to be short/slim for the foreseeable future. I guess it makes the old ones stand out better.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Custom Tailored Air Force Officers Gabardine Trench Coat by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN7206 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It was custom tailored in St Louis Mo during October 1951 for a captain recalled for Korean War duty. It photographs a deeper blue that it appears in life. I'll post more about it in the overcoats thread most likely.

Michael

Michael A, I dig the olive shoes you are wearing. Cork sole? This type of shiny plastic finished boots with cork or crepe sole are my favorite, so hard to come by on ebay. The go by brands like Bearfoot, HyTest & Outdoorsman. If you have a source of NOS ones like this let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Michael A, I dig the olive shoes you are wearing. Cork sole? This type of shiny plastic finished boots with cork or crepe sole are my favorite, so hard to come by on ebay. The go by brands like Bearfoot, HyTest & Outdoorsman. If you have a source of NOS ones like this let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks regius. The boots in the coat photos are Red Wing Iron Rangers in Amber Harness leather. I think they do have some form of cork composite sole.
Michael

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I'm trying to figure out what brand this coat is but maybe it's vintage or something.

The lining looks like the traditional Burberry pattern, as does the button placement, but I'm no expert on these.

Looking that up, I thought this was a graphic to show the availible colours but no, its seems this is an actual two tone coat you can buy...

Attachments

• 4c10c3d786df3e9270670f5597c000968cc86f7e.jpg
    4c10c3d786df3e9270670f5597c000968cc86f7e.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 856

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The lining looks like the traditional Burberry pattern, as does the button placement, but I'm no expert on these.
Yeah, you're probably right. I've seen vintage Burberry and Aquascutum coats in old movies from the 1960s and the "house check/lining" which each uses were never in evidence, the vintage coats seems to have some bland patterns like the one in that photo. So I guess the association of B and Aq with specific check patterns is a relatively recent branding thing.

Benproof

A-List Customer
Custom Tailored Air Force Officers Gabardine Trench Coat by Michael A2012, on Fli

Michael

Crikey Mikey! How many coats have you?!

It's interesting seeing the design differences of the US vs British air force: yours has side slanting pockets and full fronting belt. The material looks lighter than some of your other coats? I guess the weather in the Korean war was different that that designed for back home. The British air force coats had horizontal pockets (with cover flaps); sewn in half-belts sometimes, rarely loose belts; buttons were tailored according to rank in silver, brass or stay-brite silver in later generations and the airforce blue distinctive - barely changing for decades. One touch I like about the British coat is that there is a storm collar flat - to lock up the collar - does the US version have this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk