Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True or False: Red Lipstick Ages Women Over 40?

Does red lipstick age a woman over forty?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on the individual and application

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Brooksie

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
with all my vintage 40s clothes, as well as with my really strong bright colored modern clothes too. Best I think for the 40s era as its what the women primarily wore back then. I don't feel it ages me at all, in fact I look better in it than with no makeup and no lipstick. But you gotta have the right red for your coloring, ex. see my pic attached wearing my vintage-inspired 90s does 20s hat.
362986368.jpg
The other shade I wear besides the orange-red is a favorite one I describe as a bright geranium rose pink. Occasionally with my pastels I'll wear coral, or add a bi of the coral over the geranium pink.

I never do glossy, nude lip, or shiny look. The glossy stuff looks good on our almost fifteen yo daughter! Se wears the same orange-red as I do when she wears her vintage clothes. I agree that the nude or even worse yet, brown liner with nude lipstick really ages women. There is a 40+ yo gal in choir that wears this who is a Winter season. Gosh, I wish she'd try a nice matte lipstick in one of her better blue-red shades-she'd look so much attractive, and younger.

Hi CC - I think that strong red lip color looks fab on you... I very much have enjoyed your posts and love seeing your hair, make up and clothing choices.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Inky said:
I will be 49 in three short weeks. When I wear lipstick, it is only reds. I don't wear heavy or sparkly eye makeup, that does age my eyes more. My hair is dyed an unnatural red and I don't give a hoot about looking my age or any other age, I just like to look the way I feel happiest. Last night at an English Beat show (and boy was Dave Wakeling still hot!) not one, but two men said I was either pretty or beautiful, so I guess whatever it is works, lol. I like to think it's just being confident. So wear what makes you feel good about you and don't worry about rules.

And you can call me Baby Jane if you want when I'm *really* old and wear too much make up :D

3496665271_792427b363.jpg

Inky your bold hair and striking looks demand a lip color such as this! Looks great.

Lillemor

One Too Many
For those of you who are near or over 40 who've posted photos of themselves on here - you're all aging beautifully and I think you can all certainly find some shade of red that will suit you even if your lips are thinning. I agree with those who say that darker shades of red can be aging.

My lips aren't thinning yet but I'm not in my puberty so I'm finding that the deeper, matte shades I favored in my teens age my features in general and make my complexion look sallow/ashy.

I think I've noticed a slight lightening of my complexion, hair and eyes this year. I've also begun to prefer bright colors over deep ones.

Brooksie

One Too Many
My lips have always been thin sad to say but I look on the bright side, I can carry off the flapper look and victorian look very well because of it.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Victorian?

Brooksie said:
My lips have always been thin sad to say but I look on the bright side, I can carry off the flapper look and victorian look very well because of it.
Didn't only bad women wear any paint in that era? I would look Victorian if I left it off...

Brooksie

One Too Many
Yes women did not wear lipstick in the victorian era and my lips are even thinner looking without lipstick then with it - hence the comment I can do a victorian look - I guess I forgot to add the part about without the lipstick. Most of the pics that I see of the victorian women (especially the post cards they all have these little pursed lips). :eek:fftopic: Sorry that was all a little off topic ... Back on topic - I feel like I look younger and more vibrant with color on my lips and my favorites are the reds.

swinggal

One Too Many
I have just turned 40 and still wear red lipstick. I wear more on the blood/morone side of red these days, but will wear bright red on occassion.

I think it the whole overall look that makes people look old. I keep the rest of my make-up to a minimum though, eg 40s style. All the ladies over 40 here are stunning :)

swinggal

One Too Many
I have just turned 40 and still wear red lipstick. I wear more on the blood/morone side of red these days, but will wear bright red on occassion.

I think it the whole overall look that makes people look old. I keep the rest of my make-up to a minimum though, eg 40s style. All the ladies over 40 here are stunning :)

photo.php

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been wearing red lipstick every day since I was 15, I am not about to stop because I am almost 50!

It makes me look old to look drab. I need the color!

zendy

A-List Customer
Just wanted to add

that all of you ladies over 40 are absolutely beautiful, and the red lips suit you all so well. I only hope that I can be as stunning in years to come.

PixieGirl

New in Town
My mother is 47 (shhh...don't tell her I told you) and she wears a classic red lip to work everyday. She keeps the rest of her face very clean and people are always asking her if she was a teen when she had me. lol I think as long as it's the right red for your coloring, a red lip can only make you look amazing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ