Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman and Open Road

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Looks like an Open Road.

59-1199.jpg

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Appreciate it Scotrace, very interesting to see the bash Truman had on his OR's. I like the one where he is getting out of the car, but I wish I could see the top. I wonder if it is a teardrop with the slight dents or more of a center dent ? The second picture seems to have more of an extreme pinch and the brim is curling slightly.

A

Ande1963

Cool. I really appreciate those photos. I bought my first OR recently, and have been struggling with what to do about the bash. Part of the "keep it as a cattleman crease" argument was that I thought that's how Harry wore his.

I guess that's shot!

By the way, mine is likely from the '70s, and the 3X felt is a little stiff. It's not as soft and pliable as I'd like. I may not keep the hat... I dunno for sure yet. This stiff felt is gonna be hard for me to re-bash myself.

Anj

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Gratuitous plug

:eusa_doh:

I've actually studied it HDRnR, it's a teardrop with forward pinches. He was a small man and had them custom made with smaller dimensions that you would expect to see. Here is my version

HST_3.jpg

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Art, you are the man ! I will try to bash one of mine like that. Ande, I've had the same issues with my factory blocked cattleman OR's, the felt is stiff. I have a Royal Deluxe that is smooth as butter tho.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
TaxMan1 said:
Didn't LBJ use a Cattleman's bash in his OR?

I'm curious also, I couldn't find a good picture. The LBJ Library doesn't have nearly as many pictures as the Truman Library which has thousands.

Fedorista

Familiar Face
hatncoatrack_exb_HSTR437.jpg

Hat described as:

Homberg
Made by Lee, Fifth Avenue, New York
Gold lettering on band opposite label reads: "Made Expressly For Hon. Harry S. Truman."
Felt, leather, plastic. H 12.7, D 33.3 cm
Harry S Truman National Historic Site, HSTR 427

J.B.

Practically Family
lbj43rw.jpg

deanglen said:
Of the cattleman's bashes I've ever seen, the bash on this hat has such narrow side dents and wide crown dent.

dean

deanglen, I have an opinion! :rolleyes:

:eek:fftopic: Although as you know, there are sooooo many versions of the Open Road, but after a lot of thought and researching pictures -- I now believe that the hat that is pictured here with LBJ is not a Stetson -- but rather an obscure short-brimmed, high-dimpled alpine bash Resistol model known as the Deming...

...but of course I'm old, and frequently doze off at the keyboarvzdqkfgermeiottttttttttttttttt

Wait -- I'm back on topic Truman...

As a kid, the bottom on Lucky Strike cigarettes packs had the initials L.S.M.F.T. printed thereon -- "Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco." However, we impudent children liked to tell others it stood for "Lord, Save Me From Truman." :D

A

Ande1963

Art,

Your version is really fantastic. Can I ask how you handled the different proportions that you mentioned Truman had done specifically for his build? Is your model made with with those same proportions?

Anj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ