Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Very nice! Looks to be an old ring.

I have a couple of new pieces. The bracelet is made by Sam Roanhorse (1815-1983), younger brother of Ambrose Roanhorse (I have posted other pieces by AR earlier in this thread). Excited to have this - a beautifully designed and crafted cuff that employs stamping, filing and repoussé.

samroanhorse1.jpg

samroanhorse2.jpg

samroanhorse3.jpg

samroanhorse4.jpg

Also purchased this small Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild ring:

nacg_ring1.jpg

nacg_ring2.jpg

navajo071415.jpg

kyboots

Practically Family
Thanks RJR... and thank you for posting these pieces Dickie Teenie.

There is quite a bit of information online about turquoise, the mines it has come from and value, which is all over the board. Here is one discussion that attempts to show characteristic pieces from many of the more well known mines. There are other sites which attempt to differentiate grades/qualities/characteristics/value. Here is one such page. A google image search will help you appreciate the magical "zat" of individual stones which is another quality altogether.

The Sleeping Beauty mine appears to have stopped production. Its turquoise is known for nice color and relative freedom from matrix.

Thanks Alan.

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
alee.jpg

I have a couple rings but this is probably my most valuable piece and even at that I don't know a lot about it. I was wanting a cuff bracelet and my wife picked this up for me as a gift at a quirky little jewelry shop in Pittsburgh a few years ago.
It's stamped by "Albert Lee". heavy, pretty much solid bar silver with silver wire wrapped and soldered around it.

I do not know the maker of this ring, nor the turquoise origin for sure (it was advertised as candelaria) but I thought it was a handsome stone and setting. Likely from the 1970s or later.

candelaria1.jpg

candelaria2.jpg

candelaria3.jpg

Quick question for those who might know. Recently my girls got into mom's jewelry (as little girls will do) and in the process broke her squash blossom necklace. I think most of the parts have been found, but my question is where to get it repaired. Is this something any jeweler can do, or would it be better sent to someone who makes or specializes in Native American jewelry, and if so, any suggestions? Thanks for any input.

I agree with Bob's wife. Most of these are strung on silver fox tail chain which can give up the ghost when its time is done. I had a local jeweler re-solder a chain that broke near the clasp. If the chain is broken elsewhere, it might need replacing.

Thanks, Alan. The chain is broken in two places, and some kind of new fastener is going to have to be installed. I will look locally for a craftsman who can perform the work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points