Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Wearing this Mark Chee cuff again today... giving the workout to the other arm!

090216_navajo.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
singlehandedly keeping this thread alive...

Applause! I have kept up with the posts, mostly your's Alan and have enjoyed them. We do not own any Native American Jewelry so I can not contribute. I have googled a few of the artists to visit their wares. My wife has both Cherokee and Hopi Native ancestry included in her gene "soup." We have a small collection of other native american items - no jewelry yet.

I enjoy the thread. Best, Eric -

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Hey fellas, I thought this thread would be good for my question.
I recently saw a pair of old, navajo made silver shirt collar tips.
Now all the contemporary ones I see are about 0.25" thick, and you're supposed to stick the collar tip into them, and then stop it in place with a screw. The pair I own are like that.
These vintage ones, however, are flat. They have three little hooks on the underside that you're to sew the collar tips to. I'm wondering, was that how they used to be constructed, back in the day?

Hey fellas, I thought this thread would be good for my question.
I recently saw a pair of old, navajo made silver shirt collar tips.
Now all the contemporary ones I see are about 0.25" thick, and you're supposed to stick the collar tip into them, and then stop it in place with a screw. The pair I own are like that.
These vintage ones, however, are flat. They have three little hooks on the underside that you're to sew the collar tips to. I'm wondering, was that how they used to be constructed, back in the day?

I have seen collar tips that are flat to be sewn on as you describe but I do not own any. These collar tips are c. 1950. They are hollow, with a pin attached that is secured through the shirt collar as a tie would be with a tie tack. It can be a challenge to feed the collar into the opening past the pin, but otherwise, it's a good system.

collartips.jpg

A small ring with three stacked nugget shaped turquoise stones by Hopi silversmith Morris Robinson (Talawytewa) who lived from 1900-1987. Bought this for my wife but maybe she will let me wear it from time to time on my little finger.

threestonerobinsonring1.jpg

threestonerobinsonring2.jpg

threestonerobinsonring3.jpg

threestonerobinsonring4.jpg

I've posted a number of pieces from my collection of Robinson's work previously on this thread - a little recap below. His

morrisbelt1.jpg

robinsonring1.jpg

brassrobinson3.jpg

RJR

Black Friday shopping brought home a few new pieces.

This early cuff (perhaps 1920s) is unmarked ingot silver of good weight with beautiful stamp work.

1920s_cuff1.jpg

1920s_cuff2.jpg

1920s_cuff3.jpg

1920s_cuff4.jpg

Also, these two vintage rings with handsome turquoise cabochons... the green one is massive, but I think might be nice for my wife on a silk cord. Hoping she thinks so too.

sparrow_ring1.jpg

sparrow_ring2.jpg
Great finds,congrats.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
In regards to native silver pieces with a turquoize stone, I've seen two methodes used for stonesetting: one is like the the classic bezel setting, the other has the metal making a zig-zag line around the stone to hold it. Does anyone know if these two methods vary geographically/historicaly between Tribes and Nations?

Nice additions Sheepdog.

In regards to native silver pieces with a turquoize stone, I've seen two methodes used for stonesetting: one is like the the classic bezel setting, the other has the metal making a zig-zag line around the stone to hold it. Does anyone know if these two methods vary geographically/historicaly between Tribes and Nations?

My sense from pieces I have followed and collected is that in Navajo silver work, older pieces in general use a plain bezel to secure stones. There will be exceptions of course. In recent and contemporary jewelry, many methods are used, including hand cut bezel fingers. The zigzag bezel that you refer to is common in Zuni jewelry pieces that use many small stones. The use of this bezel material by Zuni silversmiths seems to go back to the early 20th century.

s-l1600-5.jpg

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Nice additions Sheepdog.

My sense from pieces I have followed and collected is that in Navajo silver work, older pieces in general use a plain bezel to secure stones. There will be exceptions of course. In recent and contemporary jewelry, many methods are used, including hand cut bezel fingers. The zigzag bezel that you refer to is common in Zuni jewelry pieces that use many small stones. The use of this bezel material by Zuni silversmiths seems to go back to the early 20th century.

View attachment 61730
Great! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points