Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

083117_navajo.jpg

Two pieces that fell to earth around the same time - left, a Navajo Arts & Crafts Guild bracelet, c.1950... right, a sikhote-alin meteorite that was observed as it fell in Russia in 1947. The ring is not native - it was made a few years ago by a jeweler in Vancouver.

fiftyforfifty

Sponsoring Affiliate
083117_navajo.jpg

Two pieces that fell to earth around the same time - left, a Navajo Arts & Crafts Guild bracelet, c.1950... right, a sikhote-alin meteorite that was observed as it fell in Russia in 1947. The ring is not native - it was made a few years ago by a jeweler in Vancouver.

Ring is really very unique

Hey guys,

New to the board. I have a small collection of native American jewelry, attend the Santa Fe Indian market yearly and am always looking for collectibles. Here is a cuff and ring that I wear quite often. View attachment 86719 View attachment 86720

Welcome to the Lounge redlinerrobert! Those are beauties. Looking forward to seeing more of your collection.

redlinerobert

One of the Regulars
Thanks Alan, you have some impressive pieces as well from what I see here!

I noticed a photo that you posted, it appears to be from the Santa Fe Indian Market, three people in it, one gentleman wearing a fantastic necklace with images on it and what look to be claws, also wearing a matching belt with conchos that have similar images. I remember seeing him last year at the show, and wanted to take a photo with him but the moment wasn't right.

I have a concho belt that I bought last year from one of the shops there in Santa Fe. It has some great stones in it. Will post a photo later.

I noticed a photo that you posted, it appears to be from the Santa Fe Indian Market, three people in it, one gentleman wearing a fantastic necklace with images on it and what look to be claws, also wearing a matching belt with conchos that have similar images. I remember seeing him last year at the show, and wanted to take a photo with him but the moment wasn't right.

Thanks... if I remember correctly the photo you refer to, I believe it was posted by HowardDye.

No worries... it was a memorable photo. I've been to Santa Fe only once for a short visit but did make time to visit some wonderful collections of native art.

Hey @alanfgag (or anyone else that can help). Do you have a Native American Hallmark book that might list "S T"? Trying to find the artist that made a bracelet/watch-band. Definitely Navajo, purchased in Gallup, NM around 1980.

ST_Hallmark.jpg

The online site for hallmarks appears to have an error as it lists Sammy Smith as the holder of that hallmark, but I've seen him listed as "S/S" (which makes more sense). Also, this doesn't seem to be his style as he does more inlay work.

Sammy.JPG

Searching on "S T" for Native American jewelry brings up street abbreviations, an apparent abbreviation for "sterling", saints and all sort of crap (including references to Sammy Smith that are most likely based on the hallmark ID referenced on http://www.art-amerindien.com/signature_indian_native_marks_mz.htm#s

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hey @alanfgag (or anyone else that can help). Do you have a Native American Hallmark book that might list "S T"? Trying to find the artist that made a bracelet/watch-band. Definitely Navajo, purchased in Gallup, NM around 1980...

Barton Wright's book Hallmarks of the Southwest show a small Gothic print "S T" used by a Navajo silversmith named Slim Turner beginning in 1977. A quick search turned up some work, but I didn't find a work with a photo of the hallmark.

That beaded bolo is spectacular!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points