Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Waistcoats

Jeffrey S

New in Town
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I am getting married this year and my groomsmen party is dressing in jazz era/30's tuxedos. Classic peak lapel black tie. I wanted traditional waistcoasts, either single our double breasted, flat waistline, with a deep horseshoe front. Does anyone know where these can be found of a good quality (not waiter-uniform quality)? I've looked for quite sometime, and the only I could find was through Dobell but it is sold out. I've reached out to see if they will restock but would love some help if anyone knows a traditional black tie companies.

http://www.dobell.co.uk/wilvorst-100-wool-black-tuxedo-waistcoat/

Brooks brothers only has a backless, more white tie version, and Charles Tyrwitt has very low stock of their horseshoe waistcoat.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
I see great, fully-backed brocade 20s/30s ones at vintage shops pretty regularly. I would check there or Etsy. Unfortunately, the terms "new" and "correctly-made formalwear" and no longer synonymous – although Gentleman's Gazette has wonderful, new, fixed-length grosgrain bowties, proper shoe laces, hoes, etc. if you're looking to cap off the look correctly.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I see great, fully-backed brocade 20s/30s ones at vintage shops pretty regularly. I would check there or Etsy. Unfortunately, the terms "new" and "correctly-made formalwear" and no longer synonymous – although Gentleman's Gazette has wonderful, new, fixed-length grosgrain bowties, proper shoe laces, hoes, etc. if you're looking to cap off the look correctly.
I agree. You can also find some vest on eBay but you have to look and find them when they are there, as some times nicer vests do not last long.

Good luck!

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I am getting married this year and my groomsmen party is dressing in jazz era/30's tuxedos. Classic peak lapel black tie. I wanted traditional waistcoasts, either single our double breasted, flat waistline, with a deep horseshoe front. [...]

I don’t know what your budget is, but here are all the sources for black u-fronted waistcoats that I could think of:
Oliver Brown—£195
evening-waistcoat.jpg

Ede & Ravenscroft—£175
81076_WAISTCOAT_SS16_BLACK_FR_1024x1024.jpg

Magnoli Clothiers—$205
extra-image-990.jpg

Waistcoats Direct
—£93
mr_u_black.jpg

Tom Sawyer Waistcoats—£66.66
scoop-evening-wcoat-lge.jpg

Don’t forget, though, that in ’20’s and ’30’s, it was common for a white waistcoat to be worn with black tie, especially if one was wearing a full-dress shirt and stiff collar.
Examples:

IMG_3324_D.JPG

from The Furies, 1930:
1930_The_Furies_movie_Getty.JPG

Nat Pendleton in Manhattan Melodrama, 1934:
hqdefault.jpg

I lifted this one from another thread on the Lounge:
whitewaistcoat_zpsdbba680a.jpg

William Powell in The Thin Man, 1934:
dinner+dress+back+Nick+and+Nora+Myrna+Loy+William+Powell+Thin+Man.jpg

thinman8.jpg

The dance scene (set in 1928) from It’s A Wonderful Life, 1946: