Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TV series set in the Golden Age

A.R. McVintage

Mentioning Carnivale again. A superb show with only a couple of historical inaccuracies as far as I remember, but otherwise a fantastic recreation of Dustbowl America and a superb cast with timeless looks that make them all feel as if they walked out of Dorothea Lange photographs.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jake_fink said:
Apple Pie? Set in 1930s dust bowl town with Rue Maclannahan, Dabney Coleman and Jack Guildford. A Norman Lear show that misfired.

The Waltons was on for a long time. I couldn't stand it even as a kid.

Nope, not that one.:( This show had Peter Scolari, who later played in Busom Buddies and Adrian Zmed. They were cab drivers (I think) in Washington D.C. :rolleyes: Hmmmm what was the name??????

Haversack

One Too Many
Another two series which have an appeal are the BBC's _All Creatures Great and Small_ and A&E's _Nero Wolfe_. (although the later continued into the 1960s.)

Haversack

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jake_fink said:
... The Waltons was on for a long time. I couldn't stand it even as a kid.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you about "The Waltons". That was one of my favorite shows. I recently got several years of episodes on DVD and my children and grandchildren watch it all the time. I think (and backed up by my grandmother and parents) the show did a really good job capturing life during the Depression years (at least in our area of the country).

Flivver

Practically Family
I also enjoyed "The Waltons" and am collecting the DVD seasons as they are released.

I particularly like the way they moved the series through time from the early 1930s to WWII, and tied many of the stories to the events of the day.

My Dad grew up on a farm in the 1920s and 1930s. He really enjoyed this show...I think because it brought him back to his youth.

Marty M.

Vendor
Great call.

Tomasso said:
Jeeves & Wooster

Jeeves and Wooster ranks #1 and Lord Peter Wimsey (Ian Carmichael) is #2 for me. As a matter of fact I show them a lot on our large flat screen at the shop.
Marty Mathis

Marty M.

Vendor
Tuppence is still tops.

BegintheBeguine said:
Tommy & Tuppence in Partners in Crime. My mod friends and I loved the 1920s fashions when this was first on in the 1980s, I'd watch a show and whip up a dress like hers to wear out the next day. :)

Great call. I don't remember the lead male actor but the lead actress was the lovley Francesca Annis. And she's still lovley (sorry I'll stop).
Marty Mathis

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Marty M. said:
Jeeves and Wooster ranks #1 and Lord Peter Wimsey (Ian Carmichael) is #2 for me. As a matter of fact I show them a lot on our large flat screen at the shop.
Marty Mathis

YES!!! I love that show and the books on which they are based. The sets and clothing are amazing. People cannot believe that it is the same Hugh Laurie that now plays Dr. House.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Though an "internet source", I obtained the entire "City of Angels" series on DVD. It is "Rockford Files" set in the 1930's. Very entertaining.

It makes sense it is a lot like Rockford since it was created and written by Rockford creators Stephen J. Cannel and Roy Huggins.

I wish they would do an official release of the series but I heard there is virtually no chance, or interest from the studio, to do it. But yet, you can buy every f*****g season of "Charles in Charge."

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Brian Sheridan said:
Though an "internet source", I obtained the entire "City of Angels" series on DVD. It is "Rockford Files" set in the 1930's. Very entertaining.

It makes sense it is a lot like Rockford since it was created and written by Rockford creators Stephen J. Cannel and Roy Huggins.

I wish they would do an official release of the series but I heard there is virtually no chance, or interest from the studio, to do it. But yet, you can buy every f*****g season of "Charles in Charge."

I thought Larry Gelbart had something to do with it, no?

Also, what's the quality of the discs? If good... what/who is the source. :D

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Both 'Untouchables' series...

I particularly liked the latest one. The actor who played Capone did a great job I thought!

Untouchables.jpg
UntouchPRBW.jpg
WmForsyth.jpg

Untouchgang.jpg

-dixon cannon

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Home Front was one of my alltime favorites. I wish it was available on DVD.
I loved Nero Wolf and I liked AMC's The Lot but theire never were very many episodes of that. AMC also had one called Remember WENN but I never saw that one.

Mr. John Smith

New in Town
Tales of the Gold Monkey & Young Indy

Mike in Seattle nailed it with "Tales of the Gold Monkey". Personally, I loved the entire "Young Indiana Jones" series. The best stories were the ones set during and just after WWI!:fedora:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
deadpandiva said:
Home Front was one of my alltime favorites. I wish it was available on DVD.

Have to agree with you there! I think I taped the entire second series on VHS, but I really wish I had the first season. Hopefully they'll release it soon.

Hubby and I have been watching Hogan's Heroes - I got him the second season for Christmas. They're hokey and silly and not at all accurate, but enjoyable all the same.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Mr. John Smith said:
Mike in Seattle nailed it with "Tales of the Gold Monkey". Personally, I loved the entire "Young Indiana Jones" series. The best stories were the ones set during and just after WWI!:fedora:

I loved Young Indiana Jones - though I liked the ones where he was a teenager or young adult as opposed to when he was a kid.

I also loved how they incorporated all those great historical figures - I remember Pablo Piccasso (sp?) in one episode, and Archduke Franz Ferdinand in another.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
jake_fink said:
The HBO Philip Marlowe series in which Powers Boothe made such a good Marlowe was shot in LA and England and then entirely in Toronto. Most of the locations here (T.O) have been torn down or hopelessly remodeled. The show was often so-so, rarely as good as the idea, the theme music or the lead seemed to hint at.

boothe+as+marlowe.jpg
I just finished watching season 1 of that series and thought it was outstanding, great acting and great pacing. Last night I watched the first episode of season 2 and thought it was awful, so I'm naturally wary of how the rest of season 2 will go...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff