Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U. S. Wings sale

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Still no jacket, still not shipped. You are on your second jacket???

I'd better call them up.

I hate calling.

Hi Scotrace,

I'm in the same boat with you. I ordered a jacket from Wings on the 28th of March. This past Monday I called to see if it had been shipped. It had not. Lisa (I think) answered the phone and told me that she had a "stack" of clearance jacket orders on her desk that had not been processed. She asked me to call back today (Friday) to see if she had made any progress toward getting my jacket to me.

I've yet to call.

Atticus

scotrace said:
Still no jacket, still not shipped. You are on your second jacket???

I'd better call them up.

I hate calling.

As long as we're rubbing it in ... My recent experience indicates that a Monday morning UPS Ground pickup in Stow, OH will arrive at a Seattle-area residence late afternoon/early evening Friday. Going the other way took from Monday to the following Monday. Much to their credit, U.S. Wings received my return jacket Monday morning and shipped out the replacement that day. So yeah, the delay in getting yours is looking more and more like something has gone wrong somewhere along the line.

Atticus Finch said:
Hi Scotrace,

I'm in the same boat with you. I ordered a jacket from Wings on the 28th of March. This past Monday I called to see if it had been shipped. It had not. Lisa (I think) answered the phone and told me that she had a "stack" of clearance jacket orders on her desk that had not been processed. She asked me to call back today (Friday) to see if she had made any progress toward getting my jacket to me.

I've yet to call.

Atticus

Huh. More than three weeks now and still no merchandise? That's not the only inconsistency with this deal, as a look through this thread makes clear.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
tonyb said:
Huh. More than three weeks now and still no merchandise? That's not the only inconsistency with this deal, as a look through this thread makes clear.

Now hold on. :)

I am not complaining. I was looking to see if anyone else had the same experience and what they were finding out. Now I know.

If someone has the generosity to offer me a goatskin Indiana Jones leather jacket at a price that is below what is possible for a used jacket on the secondary market, I'm sure as heck not going to complain about a little delay (or a little crooked stitching). It's a gift horse, and I am looking solidly away from the animal's mouth! :)

Bebop

Practically Family
You are right, Scotrace. When you sell jackets at such a good price to a bunch of people that are really into having more than just one good jacket, there is bound to be stacks of orders that get filled at different rates. I think it would have been even a longer wait if this sale would have gone down in the fall when a lot of people are searching for jackets when they see cool weather coming.

scotrace said:
Now hold on. :)

I am not complaining. I was looking to see if anyone else had the same experience and what they were finding out. Now I know.

If someone has the generosity to offer me a goatskin Indiana Jones leather jacket at a price that is below what is possible for a used jacket on the secondary market, I'm sure as heck not going to complain about a little delay (or a little crooked stitching). It's a gift horse, and I am looking solidly away from the animal's mouth! :)

Well, they did have the generosity to offer me an Indy jacket at a bargain price. They advertised online that they had 'em, and they emailed me saying they had one for me in my size. But when I called they no longer had 'em, the woman said, so I settled for an A-2. I'm still quite happy with the deal (or trust I will be, once the jacket arrives). Still, people who ordered after I did were able to get Indy jackets in my size. Inconsistent? I think it's fair to call it that.
I'm not accusing anyone of any real wrongdoing here, although the case can be made that there is at least a certain level of confusion around that place. I don't know what sorts of challenges the people at U.S. Wings are up against in filling these orders. But I can say that they've been quite pleasant, both over the telephone and via email. When they sent me a women's jacket they acknowledged the error right after I brought it to their attention (on a weekend, even) and offered me a couple of perfectly reasonable alternatives for making things right. Why they couldn't offer me an Indy when they had them for other people remains a mystery.
But what the heck, I'll probably be happier with the A-2 anyway. If the sleeves are a skosh too long (which they indeed may be, seeing how I'm kinda between sizes and I figured it was better to err in the larger direction) those knit cuffs will keep 'em out of my soup.

UPDATE: It has arrived. It is just fine. The XL hangs a bit loose on my 6-foot, 195-pound frame. I'm guessing that an L would have fit OK, but the XL isn't so large as to make me look like I borrowed my big brother's jacket. There's room enough for a sweater under it, and, as I've already observed, I'd much rather it be too large than too small.
The snaps on this one are better than the snaps on that women's model they first sent me. (In other words, they haven't fallen apart, and don't look like they will.) The leather has a nice grain and feel and the pieces seem to all fit together the way they should. If there's anything the matter with this one, I have yet to find it. So yeah, I can now say that I got a good deal.
Now, how many of you guys have snipped off that "Made in China" tag?

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
OK - You caught me

After trying it one - out came the scissors. BUT, I didnt even notice that it has hand warmer pockets!!! Not authentic but I actually wanted their model with them. Everything else is just capital!!!

Prairie Shade said:
After trying it one - out came the scissors. BUT, I didnt even notice that it has hand warmer pockets!!! Not authentic but I actually wanted their model with them. Everything else is just capital!!!

I'll fess up to doing the same, and I'm also tempted to remove that label (or whatever it's called) near the right inside pocket that tells of the "old leather" finish.
Speaking of pockets ... did you notice that little pen pocket (I think that's what it is, anyway) hiding under the left patch pocket flap? Nice touch, eh? But I won't likely be putting any pens in mine. Over the years I've seen too many pens, ballpoints and rollerballs, leak their ink onto shirt pockets.

Technonut

Practically Family
Copied from my post at another forum:

I resigned myself into getting along without one of the U.S. Wings vintage cowhide jackets on sale, due to the fact that Wings dropped the ball on my order a COUPLE of times, and there were no more large vintage cows to be had... :cry:

Well... Life can be strange, and sometimes, things do work-out. A very nice change of events brought a vintage cow jacket to my door. \:D/

The jacket has a soft, heavy, hide that really has a nice drape IMO. The pocket flaps are somewhat wider than my Wings goatskin, but I think they will scallop nicely when I get the time.. The fit is very good, and I like the way the jacket feels.

Anyway, here are some pics... This is the way the vintage cowhide looked when the jacket arrived.. I DO plan on taking some brown Pecard to it soon... It should give the jacket a brown Raiders look, while still having a nice drape..

Well, I DID take the brown Pecard to the jacket... It may not be to everyone's taste, but I like it... :) Here are few "before" pics of how the jacket arrived:

VintageCow002.jpg

VintageCow005.jpg

VintageCow010.jpg

Here are some pics of how it looks now:

USWVCM001.jpg

USWVCM002.jpg

USWVCM003.jpg

USWVCM012.jpg

The brown Pecard WILL wear-off over time, making the jacket look more interesting until it goes back to it's original, light vintage brown.. The seam contrast is NOT as noticable in real-life as it shows in the pics.

Technonut

Practically Family
griffer said:
Scottrace, SORRY!

Technonut, that Pecard treatment looks AWESOME! I will do the same to mine....

Where'd you pick that stuff up?

Thanks griffer.... :) It did take some time. I used a couple of small tack sponges, Q-Tips, (to cut-in around the seams) and paper towels..

I picked-up the brown Pecard here:

http://www.pecard.com/store.php?crn=211&rn=431&action=show_detail

Enjoy your vintage cow.... :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Was supposed to be in from the warehouse and could be picked up today. But.

Still Not King.

They close in 45 minutes. Even if they called now, It'd take me an hour to get there. Drat. Cool weather this weekend here too!

And I factored in the Easter Holiday this time. :p

It's been so long now, Scott, that I've forgotten which model you have on order.
Gotta like those vintage cowhide Indys, eh? I'm sufficiently pleased with the goat A-2 that I ordered an Indy in antique lamb, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone with the cowhide, especially after seeing on another forum that some of those lambskin jackets have two-piece back panels. Oh well, the pictures still indicate that they're good-looking jackets, and for all of a hundred bucks, it's hard to go wrong.

If it's the same hide as my goat A-2, you'll be happy with it, I bet. It may not pass muster with committed leather jacket aficionados (whose ranks I may join some day), but to my unsophisticated eyes it still looks a darn sight nicer than most jackets that cost twice as much or more.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Still waiting as well...

When Michaelson first posted about the sale from US Wings I promptly emailed and 3 days later received a reply. So I phoned up and was told that between my choice of G-2 and Indy Jackets that there was only a G-2 available in my size. So I received the G-2 in an adequate amount of time and I was quite pleased with it (very comfy jacket). A couple of days after I received the G-2, I called US Wings up again and was told that Indy Jackets were available. I ordered one in Horse ( I already have leather jackets in goat, cow, and lamb). I too have been patiently waiting. So, not wanting to be annoying I waited to call after these many weeks this past Friday. Lisa said they just received a big shipment in and that the orders would be going out shortly. So...late Friday I noticed that my account had been charged by them finally (but for some odd reason, charged twice..I will call customer service Monday to figure this out). Hopefully the arrival of the Indy Jacket won't be too far from now. My only concern is this size. Most of your guys say that the sizes run large, but the XL's are spot on. I wear a size 48 and according to their sizing chart and reccomendation I ordered a XXL. About a week after ordering I called up wanting to downsize to an XL (my normal size usually..except with my other US Wings jackets). Lisa told me that the sizes were running small so that I shouldn't worry. Just anxious...sorry for venting so much, but my wife just doesn't get the whole jacket obsession thing. Hope all is well with everyone and their orders.

---Scott

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

Tina at U.S. Wings tells me that my Indy jacket is now on its way. I also received an e-mail from UPS informing me that it had been shipped. They say that it should be at my office tomorrow. To say the least, I am very excited about this jacket's pending arrival.

Just this week I saw a goatskin, U.S. Wings Indy jacket sell for $145.00 on e-bay. With shipping, the total was about $160.00. It made me feel pretty good about the hundred bucks I spent for my brand new jacket.

Atticus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana