• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Ulster overcoats

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by mattmaybloom, Mar 21, 2016.

1. mattmaybloom

mattmaybloom New in Town

Hi guys,

This is my first thread, I really love this forum! I've seen old pics and magazine pics of old fashioned ulster coats, however I never really see them now. I'd love to get my self one, I think they're incredibly sharp.

If you guys own these coats post pics, I'm eager to see real examples. Also do any coat makers make them now? How can I track one down and will it be crazy expensive?

Here are some pics I've found

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to hearing from you guys,
    Matt

2. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

mattmaybloom likes this.
  3. mattmaybloom

mattmaybloom New in Town

Great read, thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4. mattmaybloom

mattmaybloom New in Town

Anyone else?

5. What's your size, I mean your actual chest measurement?

Here are some of my overcoats. The rightmost in the collage is an Ulster in the 30s-40s sense of the word.

- Starting from the left, #1 and #2: early 20s, narrow shoulder
    - #3 and #4: early/mid 30s, narrow shoulder but with the shoulder seam running differently, plus hourglass cut
    - #5: CC41, shoulders have more built-up and are beginning to get wider
    - #6: the military-type CD Greatcoat, 1952
    - #7: 1948 dated Lampaka belted back Ulster by Howard Clothes (currently for sale in the Classifieds, size c. 37-39)

[​IMG]

Another Ulster, a 1937 dated belted back Ulster with reverse pleated back by Stein Bloch, grey check with blue overcheck:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A similar 20s model:
    1924. Washington, D.C., Alfred Stern, director of Washington's first radio exposition

[​IMG]

Hal likes this.
  6. mattmaybloom

mattmaybloom New in Town

I'm a 48 R, that's what my raincoat and overcoat are

7. mattmaybloom

mattmaybloom New in Town

And I love 7 top, absolutely adore it

8. 48 American/British or European size? US/UK 48 means 48" chest. EUR 48 means 38" chest.

9. mattmaybloom

mattmaybloom New in Town

Ah sorry, yes American size, I'm a new yorker

10. I see, big fellow. :) Vintage overcoats in that size do turn up, but you need patience and persistence in searching for them. A repro is of course a good alternative if you can find one. If and when SJC makes an Ulster it should be worth it.

11. mattmaybloom

mattmaybloom New in Town

I'm starting to think even if I could find one I wouldn't be able to afford it

12. mattmaybloom

mattmaybloom New in Town

Hey guys, sorry to revive an old thread. Just wanted to let you know that I finally found one! A couple of questions though, it does not have a belt in the back but it does have cuffs, patch pockets! contrast stitching, ect... so is it still technically an ulster with out the belt

Also it can button both ways in the front but it has an inside button only on one side instead of both, is that normal. If so why have it able to button on both sides if there's only one jigger button?

Thanks,
    Matt