• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Unappreciated masterpieces?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Blackthorn, Jan 28, 2014.

1. I think it's somewhat underrated too - though I must admit I'm no expert on The Shadow. Agreed that it's no masterpiece, but it's one of better comics/pulps-adapted films that followed in the wake of the success of the 1989 Batman (along with The Rocketeer, Dick Tracy, The Phantom, etc.) The production design and costumes are lovely - Miller has never looked better - and Alec Baldwin's good. And there's an interesting early film role for Ian McKellen.

To add a very late comment to the Road To Perdition discussion, if you think seeing Daniel Craig as Connor is strange, check out Infamous - the other film about Truman Capote and Harper Lee and the writing of "In Cold Blood". Craig plays one of the killers!

(I like both Infamous and Capote equally - they make a fascinating compare/contrast - though there's no question Phillip Seymour Hoffman's Oscar-winning performance goes deeper than Toby Jones' more broadly caricatured take on Capote. All the different takes on the same characters - Sandra Bullock vs. Catherine Keener as Lee, Jeff Daniels vs. Chris Cooper as the sheriff, etc. - are fascinating.)

GGinMP, Blackthorn and Zombie_61 like this.
  2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn My Mail is Forwarded Here

I loved that movie, too, and still watch it once a year. I had hoped there would be sequels. As I walked by my bookshelf earlier this week I saw that I still have 7 paperbacks of The Shadow, from when I was a kid in the sixties. I keep them out of sentimentality. That was a fun movie!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  3. Blackthorn

In Bruges
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The first time I saw it, I thought it had great scenery and a few funny lines. Since then I've seen it twice more, and I'm blown away by the writing and characterization. It goes from side-splitting comedy to heartbreak in quick succession, and then back again, time after time. I love how they have Colin Farrell as a complete imbecile beside Brendan Glesson's intellectual hit man. There is a lot more depth in the movie that can only be seen by viewing several times. And the movie has never gotten the respect that it deserves, therefor it's...an unappreciated masterpiece.

Touchofevil likes this.
  4. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Totally agree. A wonderful film - MacKay effortlessly inhabits Welles: the voice, the genius, the energy, the narcissism. Extraordinary.

5. DNO

DNO One Too Many

The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three (1974)...the original one with Walter Matthau, Martin Balsam and Robert Shaw.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. Benzadmiral

Benzadmiral Call Me a Cab

Saw it on TV some years ago, and was very pleasantly surprised by the mixture of humor and action. Seems to me I read the novel back in '73 or so, but don't recall any humor to speak of. (Could have been because I read it in the Reader's Digest Condensed Books, and they regularly reduced every author to the same basic style. Only one who ever defeated them was Glendon Swarthout with Bless the Beasts and Children.)

7. "People Will Talk"

This is my favorite "not known" Cary Grant movie. He plays a doctor with an otherworldly demeanor and approach to medicine. He is a healer who cares about the patient holistically - way before that was common (as a theory, still not a practice today).

The movie has a light but spiritual touch that carries you along on its thin plot but wonderful vibe. You either buy in or not, but if you buy in - there's a Story-of-Christ echo that is warmly uplifting (says this agnostic who never practiced religion a day in his life) - it's a pleasant and inspiring tale.

N.B. It also has my first or second favorite movie model train scene ("Holiday Affair" is the other one).

Blackthorn likes this.
  8. Nathaniel Finley

Nathaniel Finley One of the Regulars

Thank you so much for the "Me and Orson Welles" recommendation! I watched it with some friends a few nights back and it was magical! I didn't find the love story to be corny at all - it was really appropriate and actually added to the total ambience of the film. And I LOVED the hats!

This movie has inspired a fresh interest in Orson Welles for me - particularly his early work on the stage. Thanks again for mentioning this!

9. Blackthorn