Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Uncontested - The Champ"

navarre

Vendor
This little fella just showed up on my door step. I have one with similar brim sculpting like this but it has worn down on the front of the brim, where as this one is in great shape. Could use a new feather but not too shabby.

Note the sculpted lines in the brim. This is similar something Tonak still produces.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
My recent champ won on eBay.
Both Alan and moontheloon feel it may be 40s-50s era.
$30
Just love the color of the ribbon and the fading it has undergone.
The felt feels like the felt on my Stetson whippet. Not as lightweight feel as on my Dobbs fifteen but very nice nonetheless.

Last edited:
My first Champ, and it's a sought after hat for me - an inky blue Homburg. Apologies in advance, as the lighting and my poor photography skills do not get the color of this hat right. It is the "so blue it's black" variety of blue. Wonderfully constructed, great felt, easy to work with. I gave it a steam bath last night, brushed it and put a center dent and some pinches in it.

5 3/4" open crown
2 1/2" brim (not counting curl, which puts it at almost 3")

Mid-50s?

One drawback that's sort of an advantage for me. The hat is a 7 3/8, but fits my 7 1/4 head pretty well as the sweatband has shrunk a bit. The affected area is the front of the sweatband where it met the original owner's forehead. You can see the shrinkage there and, unfortunately, it's a bit stiff in this area and there is one crack present, which doesn't go all the way through. I have given it one Lexol treatment and will likely retreat it soon and baby it. Comes the day it needs a new sweat, I will need to re-block/re-size it or stuff the sweatband. But for now, I'm a happy hat guy!

On to the pics!

Picture3.jpg
Picture4.jpg
Picture5.jpg
Picture6.jpg
Picture7.jpg
Picture8.jpg
Picture9.jpg
Picture10.jpg
Picture11.jpg
Picture12.jpg

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
My first Champ, and it's a sought after hat for me - and inky blue Homburg. Apologies in advance, as the lighting and my poor photography skills do not get the color of this hat right. It is the "so blue it's black" variety of blue. Wonderfully constructed, great felt, easy to work with. I gave it a steam bath last night, brushed it and put a center dent and some pinches in it.
Jim you have a real nice hat!
The Champ homburg in blue is astounding

buler

I'll Lock Up
Seeing this thread bumped reminded me of this mint blue Champ I haven't posted yet. I can't even bring myself to snap the front brim. It's such a perfect, preserved hat that I want the first owner that it fits to have the honor. Although now that I've edited these pics I'm seeing a couple of brown spots on the felt. The box it came in was full of brown flakes from a deteriorated liner tip. The blue felt is such a great color. The pictures are close, but of course, not a perfect representation.

B

DSC_1724 (1024x730).jpg
DSC_1721 (1024x619).jpg
DSC_1722 (811x1024).jpg
DSC_1725 (1024x482).jpg
DSC_1718 (1024x811).jpg
DSC_1719 (1024x616).jpg
DSC_1720 (1024x701).jpg

My first Champ, and it's a sought after hat for me - an inky blue Homburg. Apologies in advance, as the lighting and my poor photography skills do not get the color of this hat right. It is the "so blue it's black" variety of blue. Wonderfully constructed, great felt, easy to work with. I gave it a steam bath last night, brushed it and put a center dent and some pinches in it.

5 3/4" open crown
2 1/2" brim (not counting curl, which puts it at almost 3")

Mid-50s?

One drawback that's sort of an advantage for me. The hat is a 7 3/8, but fits my 7 1/4 head pretty well as the sweatband has shrunk a bit. The affected area is the front of the sweatband where it met the original owner's forehead. You can see the shrinkage there and, unfortunately, it's a bit stiff in this area and there is one crack present, which doesn't go all the way through. I have given it one Lexol treatment and will likely retreat it soon and baby it. Comes the day it needs a new sweat, I will need to re-block/re-size it or stuff the sweatband. But for now, I'm a happy hat guy!

On to the pics!

View attachment 62959 View attachment 62960 View attachment 62961 View attachment 62962 View attachment 62963 View attachment 62964 View attachment 62965 View attachment 62966 View attachment 62967 View attachment 62968
This is a great find, congratulations. Are you going to do a simple center dent or the new fangled mullet 'Berg. Like the color.

Jim -- glad you tried that on before you sold it! Nice find!

Guess I should add this to the thread (forgot to do it over the summer). Doesn't fit me, but fits my wife (and looks great on her). Love the pug...

30885344564_567e0eeceb_z.jpg

30885357974_6431b706e9_z.jpg

30885351684_a8aa2d3bc9_z.jpg

31580101732_2a964f63ea_z.jpg

31580094632_685874efb2_z.jpg
Nice straw Bob, with the arctic blast hitting the nation right now (it is 27 on my deck right now) there are probably more than a few teary eyes, longing for their boxed up May 15th hats right now.

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me of this mint blue Champ I haven't posted yet. I can't even bring myself to snap the front brim. It's such a perfect, preserved hat that I want the first owner that it fits to have the honor. Although now that I've edited these pics I'm seeing a couple of brown spots on the felt. The box it came in was full of brown flakes from a deteriorated liner tip. The blue felt is such a great color. The pictures are close, but of course, not a perfect representation.

B

View attachment 62982 View attachment 62983 View attachment 62984 View attachment 62985 View attachment 62986 View attachment 62987 View attachment 62988
OMG I love this hat!! My head it to rotund for it. Maybe I need cranium reduction surgery (kind of like a big boob...) to be able to fit into these wonderful "miniatures".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto