Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Underwear help

colleency

One of the Regulars
Hi! I haven't posted here yet, but I'm wondering where you get your underwear. I'm making a '30s gown, Vintage Vogue 2609, and I want to make sure that I have a smooth line under my dress.

Do you wear a girdle or other shape improver? If so, where do you shop? I'm in L.A., so I should be able to find something.

If this is a subject that has been discussed to death, I'd love a pointer to the link.

Thank you!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
For a reproduction girdle, I highly recommend shopping at www.girdlebound.com. The Rago collection is very nice and I have worn them under a variety of materials. Whether or not you choose to wear a girdle is up to you. If you plan on wearing stockings, I would choose a girdle over a garter belt, as you end up with a 'firmer' overall line ;)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
GREAT topic, colleency! The thing that makes a gal look even better who's got the period dress going on is to have the proper foundation garments. Thanks so much for the link, Jitterbugdoll!

And I know the boys aren't allowed to come in here, but Boys, stay away from that link, or you're going to find purses and other objects hurled in your direction!

zeus36

A-List Customer
Lauren Henline said:
And I know the boys aren't allowed to come in here, but Boys, stay away from that link, or you're going to find purses and other objects hurled in your direction!

You know, of course, that by telling us to stay away from something, we are gonna have to take a peek..... ;)

Lauren

What are you doing in the Powder Room, anyways? Especially under the "Underwear help?" Looking for trouble...

Remember the sign on the door? "No Peeking, Boys!" :p

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
Get going Zeus! I don't want to talk about unmentionables in front of you boys!

Anyway, can anyone point me in the direction of a foundation-maker that stocks girdles bigger than a D-cup? I've googled and googled, and there's plenty of good corsetieres out there, but they only stock common sizes. I can't find anyone locally with the experience to custom-make girdles, etc. & patterns I have the same problem as with websites. (One or two sites have larger sizes, but they're larger all over, not just in the bust.)

I've looked at all those lovely patterns, like the Vintage Vogue ones in the other thread, but I'm reluctant to go to the expense and effort of making something without the proper foundation garment to go with it - I'd have the wrong silhouette, and I'd just have to refit it again when/if I got a girdle!

Sorry if I've brought this up before, but it's really nagging at me... :(

colleency

One of the Regulars
Angelicious said:
Anyway, can anyone point me in the direction of a foundation-maker that stocks girdles bigger than a D-cup?

The Rago Shapette Body briefer from the site above says, "Please add 2 dollars for sizes 40 to 46 and an additional dollar for all DD cups. Inquire for availability of sizes up to 46 and DD cups."

MJCalloway

New in Town
I have a question regarding girdles. It seems that when purchasing one they go by your cup size. I'm a lot smaller up top than I am on the bottom and I'm concerned that the girdle might be too small. How does girdle sizing work exactly?

Snookie

Practically Family
I have one more question to add to the pile. I'm planning to wear a 30's bias style for my wedding, and I definately want to wear a shape improver. However, I'm concerned that any boning, garters, etc. will be lumpy under the dress (especially since it's white -- highly reflective!). Is that a common problem? How can I avoid it? Should I just try on a bunch and test them, or are there features to look for?
Thanks!

colleency

One of the Regulars
Actually, wearing a foundation garment with boning will help your dress look smoother. You can get a tighter form fit, and the boning shouldn't really be a problem at all. If you were to wear a slip that started at the waist with no foundation garment, you'd be more likely to have lumps and bumps, even if you are slender.

Also wearing a foundation garment will cause you to carry yourself a little differently. You'll look slightly more elegant in your carriage.

Snookie

Practically Family
Elegance is great! I'm all for it. I have my eye on a couple from girdlebound.com, and I'll probably get one soon and give it a shot.

You mentioned a slip, and that made me wonder -- should I wear a half-slip between the dress and the girdle, or is that redundant? What is more period/effective?

Thanks for your help. I've been looking forward to wearing this dress but very intimidated about achieving the right "line".

Lauren

I know it's not period, but if you have a David's Bridal by you they carry a special girdle like open bottom all in one that is by Felina. It has no bones that show on the outside and hooks and eyes up the back. Makes me think of The Women... when the girl was running around in the girdle at the fashion show from room to room saying repeatedly "Our new one piece lace foundation garment. Zips up the back with no bones." Except it's not lace, it doesn't have boning, and it hooks and eyes. So basically it's not like it at all. Who let me in here? jk

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
The Women...my favorite movie. So many great lines,such as the one lauren mentioned. "Jungle red"or"Any ladle that dishes gravy is sweet to me".

Okay folks,sorry for the disruption...now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Storm-in-an-E-cup

Angelicious said:
Ah, thanks for the thought, but I'm looking for an F. :eek:
I'm glad it's not just me, I finally gave up looking for an all in one girdle as they all seem to be about 34" up and I'm a 30E which is a challenge to find in modern day sizings too!!. What I have gone for recently is a high-waisted girdle so that you can still pull your waist in but then you can fit the top half separate without having to worry about being too big/too small for an all in one. Some of the high waisted ones really do go up high enough to hold you in almost as good. I do dream of finding a shell pink satin all in one that fits with circle stitching around the bust though!!!!!!!!

PS.....Lauren, I loved your post about hurling purses at male intruders!! LOL!!

D

Deleted member 259

rubyredlocks said:
The Women...my favorite movie. So many great lines,such as the one lauren mentioned. "Jungle red"or"Any ladle that dishes gravy is sweet to me".

Okay folks,sorry for the disruption...now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

My school put on that play last year, I was the ASM - It was the production from hell (you try putting 23 women on stage with double the props and triple the costumes!) But the play itself was fantastic!

That's our cast - But I was too busy running around to jump in the photo.
Thewomen.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto