Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unreal!

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Heh, I knew it was one of the two, just didn't know which one. If it were the Dick Tracy Villain, that might explain the rude comments, I couldn't imagine a cap lookin too good on him LOL luckily you don't look like him.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ya know, gents, I finally understand what all the fuss is about. I live in DC where just about everyone is either govt. or a lawyer. I very rarely see people during business hours, not dressed for work. Sure, people dress down on the weekend, but I guess it's not so bad in that context. However, I have just spent the last week in New Mexico. I was pretty amazed to see everyone casual at all times. Even in the nicest restaurant in the resort, most people wore "resort formal", khakis and polo. My husband, who would die before wearin jeans on a golf course, said he was appalled to see many people wearing jeans on the golf course. Several people commented on my wearing skirts at the resort. It happens to be part of my religious convictions, but I've never had anyone say anything about it back home. I guess I never realized how different things were in other parts of the country.
kamikat

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I had just the opposite reaction this summer, kamikat. I went to D.C. to do research at the National Archives, and it was so refreshing to see so many suits, so many people who actually know how to dress! For once, I didn't stick out in my suits.

Brad

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
You know what guys? We are unique, we dont WANT to look like the majority, do we? We dont want to blend it to the grey crowd, do we? Thats why we live our passions through music, fashion, art, automobiles, history, etc. Thats why we look the way we do!!

And I wouldn't have it any other way. I dress for my own pleasure, for the thrill of hunting for vintage bargains, to impress my friends and the people I love and respect. But if Mr Nobody out there, who looks like some two bit wanna be homie thinks Im strange, I dont give two hoots, their opinion means nothing to me.

Celebrate your uniqueness and your creativity - You aren't one of the herd, you are not a sheep, you all look fantastatc!!

STHill

One of the Regulars
Scarlet, my thoughts exactly. I was going to reply earlier, but I was afraid I might come across as scolding. You said it with grace and charm.

Fact is, folks, if we're going to walk around wearing fedoras and vintage fashions, we should be surprised if people don't stare and comment. By dressing the way we do, we're inviting treatment as freaks. Compared to the current norm, we are, in fact, freaks. Embrace it, ya'll. To quote the counterculture of the 60's in a slightly different context, "Waive your freak flag high!"

Strider

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Scarlet Belle
You know what guys? We are unique, we dont WANT to look like the majority, do we? We dont want to blend it to the grey crowd, do we? Thats why we live our passions through music, fashion, art, automobiles, history, etc. Thats why we look the way we do!!

And I wouldn't have it any other way. I dress for my own pleasure, for the thrill of hunting for vintage bargains, to impress my friends and the people I love and respect. But if Mr Nobody out there, who looks like some two bit wanna be homie thinks Im strange, I dont give two hoots, their opinion means nothing to me.

Celebrate your uniqueness and your creativity - You aren't one of the herd, you are not a sheep, you all look fantastatc!!

Originally posted by STHill
Scarlet, my thoughts exactly. I was going to reply earlier, but I was afraid I might come across as scolding. You said it with grace and charm.

Fact is, folks, if we're going to walk around wearing fedoras and vintage fashions, we should be surprised if people don't stare and comment. By dressing the way we do, we're inviting treatment as freaks. Compared to the current norm, we are, in fact, freaks. Embrace it, ya'll. To quote the counterculture of the 60's in a slightly different context, "Waive your freak flag high!"
;)

My sentiments, exactly. I've felt like this for quite awhile now. My goal in life has never been to impress anyone else, it's been to impress me. If I like what I'm doing, or in this case, how I'm dressing, that's what matters. I like to embrace the idea that I'm different, that I don't blend in. When someone looks at me, or something else (I've had people literally laugh in my face over wearing a fedora before) I take it all in stride, really. Maybe why they call me Strider ;). I actually pity the people who laugh, and make fun.

To me, it just shows that they are mindless followers, slaves to what television, movies and fashion say they ought to be doing. Not us! I honestly think that's something we should take at least some pride in. :cool:.

Regards,
Strider

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I absolutely agree with you guys. Trust me, I've looked "different" my whole life: from a Stray Cats style severe Rockabilly look, to the authentic look I now have, people always noticed me. I'm certainly the only guy around here who looks like this, and I like that. I run into people I've never met who say they've seen me around, or remember me from a store I worked in 10 years ago, etc, and it's kinda cool. My girlfriend, who's the exact opposite of any of us here at the Lounge, loves me for who( and what) I am.
My point being (is there a point?!), me being "me" has been, for the most part, a positive experience. But of course I expect a few chuckles here and there, because it comes with the territory !
flat-top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto