Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAF N-3B parkas - Let's talk about them!!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
It's actually a much different design:

f603c7c658349a3b98297b90b41ceb81.jpg

Edward

Bartender
The Star Wars one, is longer than I remembered, but it hs been twenty years since I last watched it. Looks like the Alphas I've seen that claim to be repros of something RAF from the sixties.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking at a vintage (late 1950s - thanks Atticus) N3B parka which is in good shape. It does have fading on the shoulders and hood. For those of you with experience, what impact does fading have on the nylon? Is the nylon more brittle or damaged? or is the fading just a cosmetic thing?

ingineer

One Too Many
Doc;
cosmetic, nil impact, prob just washed.
those old ones turned purple though with sunlight.
the hallmark of senior crew, shellback in navy terms, a good thing

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Doc;
cosmetic, nil impact, prob just washed.
those old ones turned purple though with sunlight.
the hallmark of senior crew, shellback in navy terms, a good thing

As ingineer posted the fading is from UV exposure on the nylon, it can be especially apparent in the blue Korean War era jackets which go a purple/lilac colour. I handled an original Albert Turner B-15C a couple of years ago which had this slightly on the shoulders and upper arms but the nylon felt exactly the same as the rest of the jacket. I think the only thing affected is the colour pigment in the nylon and not the structural integrity of the nylon itself.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Okay, thanks for the comments, guys. The coat I'm looking at appears to be decent... tag and USAF logo are in very good shape... this one is sage green... photos don't show the extent of the fading, but the seller is not an English speaker so there's little point asking. I ran the coat past Atticus and he says it's 1953 to 1958, probably closer to the earlier date. I took the opportunity to urge him to write a book or an article on nylon flyers jackets, but no dice, ha ha

Here's the coat, which is listed on France e-bay. I'm tempted but I reckon someone will bid it up at the last moment and I don't want it that much.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/ou0dcqmxl/]
38045753.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Speaking of Star Wars and coats, Hans Solo has a new coat in Force Awakens. Looks quite functional for cold weather.

Jx4Q6Bz.png

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
N3B arrived today, it's a Greenbrier from 1990, excellent condition. The construction and component quality is amazing, much better than other USAF stuff, and it's insanely heavy and thick. I have a huge Cdn Forces parka which is their (now obsolete) extreme cold parka, but this N3B is even heavier. I got a Medium - although I haven't tried it on yet, it measures too short for me, not helped by the thick padding. I should have gone for a Large and I'll keep an eye out for one. If anyone is interested in this one, let me know please.

UPDATE: I tried this coat on this morning and it juuuust fits... but yeah, a larger size would be better so that I could layer (although I suspect you could wear one of these coats over nothing more than a t-shirt and you'd be fine). These are definitely Regular length garments, not much good for Long people.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I have a couple Vintage no-name non-military knock-off N3-B parkas here up for grabs and pretty much at garage sale prices, one sage-ish and the other Blue-ish if someone was interested...a little small though, Snug in the back and arms a little for me and Im smaller than you lot Im betting, I can post pics if you wanna see.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
N3B arrived today, it's a Greenbrier from 1990, excellent condition. The construction and component quality is amazing, much better than other USAF stuff, and it's insanely heavy and thick. I have a huge Cdn Forces parka which is their (now obsolete) extreme cold parka, but this N3B is even heavier. I got a Medium - although I haven't tried it on yet, it measures too short for me, not helped by the thick padding. I should have gone for a Large and I'll keep an eye out for one. If anyone is interested in this one, let me know please.

UPDATE: I tried this coat on this morning and it juuuust fits... but yeah, a larger size would be better so that I could layer (although I suspect you could wear one of these coats over nothing more than a t-shirt and you'd be fine). These are definitely Regular length garments, not much good for Long people.

Sorry to hear that it's a smidge small Doc. Sounds like the large would be a better fit. The one thing I've realised down the years is that a parka shouldn't be fitted or trim, you need some room to move and even layer if the weather is especially extreme. That extra room also traps air which will warm and provide extra insulation.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Greenbrier..one of my favourite manufacturers across the board..shame it didn't fit :-(

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Wore mine recently and FINALLY looked at the label, it's a "Viet Nam Era" Southern Athletic. As I said in another thread, it was minus 8 with windchill and never felt a thing. Well made and absolutely bullet-proof.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points