Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAF N-3B parkas - Let's talk about them!!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Me and Doc Damage have been hashing out some notions Via PM on this topic...we are talking hitting the streets with a hunger for nylon in our hearts and a driving thirst for a bargain.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
May even dig out the N-3A if the weatherman is correct about temperatures here Saturday:)

bn1966

Me and Doc Damage have been hashing out some notions Via PM on this topic...we are talking hitting the streets with a hunger for nylon in our hearts and a driving thirst for a bargain.

Will be sure to keep out of your way, you and Damage & will ensure my House is securely locked up :)

You ain't getting my Nylon!!!!!

bn1966

Actually got to wear the N-3A today :)
photo (22).JPG

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
ha ha, your jackets are too big for Dumpster and me, so you're safe.

I really like N3A details, especially the exposed cuff knits and the longer wind flaps. Given a choice I'd rather have an N3A than an N3B, but only if I could find a good one that didn't break the bank account. Here's an iconic photo (click for larger).

bn1966

Fantastic photo Doc...looks just like me this afternoon...busy training the dogs up at present to deal with you & Dumpster if U turn up in the Neighborhood on a Nylon spree ;-)

bn1966

If U got your paws on my stuff you could sell it on evilBay to fund your own sizing..no way Doc my hound will see you off (if she wakes up)

IMG_0275.jpg

CBI

One Too Many
Been wearing my N-3B and loving it. By ELC B-3 is getting jealous from no use.

CBI

One Too Many
thanks gents.

I am a 43-44 regular, 5'11. The jacket is a size large. A gift from the Misses for under $100.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ excellent gift, practical!

Here's Don D Davies in the credits to Stargate SG1, that television series. He wears an N3B parka for a short period in an episode in the first season.

HPIM2249.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Mid-50s Albert Turner N3B arrived last night and I opened it up today. Canada Customs dinged me erroneously for duties so I guess they can't read the very clear description by the seller - the Great Paperwork War starts (sigh). Anyways, this coat is very nice, no stains, no damages. The wolf fur is missing but that's fine since after ~60 years it would almost certainly have been disintegrating and ratty. Almost the entire hood has UV fading and I can attest that it does make the nylon a bit stiffer, a bit 'drier' if you know what I mean, but still usable of course. The pile is fine. The cuff knits are perfect, so either this coat never met any hostile moths (perfectly possible) or the knits are replacements; not my area of expertise, but I suspect replacements since they seem too heavyweight to be vintage (I have handled vintage original knits on one jacket, so I have a tiny experience with them). Some quick measurements suggest this coat will fit me, thankfully, so I will drop it at the dry cleaners later today (can't take the slightest chance of introducing moths or moth eggs into the house). Thank you Atticus for looking at the original listing!

Last edited:

bn1966

Well done Doc!! I'm made up for you...looking forward to pics of the cleaned Parka :)

LeonardoDiSilvestre

New in Town
The folks who thunk up N-jacket may have looked to proven designs for guidance.

eskimo-and-his-kayak_zpsc49110ac.jpg

AF
Exactly this, the classic design stems from the designers looking at what is the most effective materials to use for a person who is encumbered by the most inclement weather conditions. Naturally they looked to the indigenous people who have been surviving in arctic conditions for millennia. These are the folks who would know what is what, it is not an accident that they have survived in these harsh wildernesses for as long as they have, this is wisdom handed down from generation to generation. The classic fur hood is as practical as it is stylish. I admit regardless of all the hostility that it invites from the anti fur brigade, i am an admirer of real fur, it beats synthetic every time, do you think the Inuit peoples if they had a choice in the matter would use real fur or synthetic? I think i will follow their lead thank you very much. :)

LeonardoDiSilvestre

New in Town
Wolf fur is the best for parka trim because frost and ice won't stick to it. This can be a problem in the high arctic if the moisture from your breath creates frost and icicles around your face.

This may be why someone cut it off, or maybe they didn't need it because they never wore the coat in extreme cold.

Have to agree wholeheartedly with Wolf fur being the best for Parka trim, in my experience that is definitely the case, i do not recall anything beating the Wolf fur trim on my original Parka, an old classic, maybe i am being sentimental for sentimental's sake, but i dont think i will ever find a better Parka than the first one i purchased. I keep looking but no luck so far, Wolf trim is an absolute must though. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk