Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uses for Old Stockings and Hosiery

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Tie climbing roses to their supports.
Strap clear plastic domes onto their seed trays when winter sowing.
Put onions inside them and hang in the basement or cellar for storage.
Emergency fan belt.

Other ideas?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
When I was a photographer, we had a similar use for panty hose: a piece of stretched hose could be used as a filter to soften the lines on a print. We'd sometimes do that on photos of officers with bad complexions (though we weren't supposed to). I'd forgotten about that.

Snookie

Practically Family
Stuffing them and making rag dolls.

Stuffing them for your hair rolls.

Using them as stuffing for your duct tape dress form.

Snookie

Practically Family
Paisley said:
When I was a photographer, we had a similar use for panty hose: a piece of stretched hose could be used as a filter to soften the lines on a print. We'd sometimes do that on photos of officers with bad complexions (though we weren't supposed to). I'd forgotten about that.

A friend of mine who knows stuff about moviemaking said they'd do the same thing to soften the closeups of the women. Just stretched it across the lens, and *presto! Instant Glamour.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Here's one from my Girl Scout days; camping soap holder.

Put a bar of soap into the toe, tie the other end to the spigot.
Keeps the soap near the faucet and clean so that 20 girls can wash up for meals...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
you can cut a wide cross section from the thigh to use as a headband (great for holding hair back when washing your face or doing makeup), though this only works for stretchy stockings. also, you can cut skinny cross sections to use as hair elastics that won't cause breakage.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
My mum always tied one leg of old pantyhose to cover the end of the tube from the washing machine where all the dirty water gets pumped out into the drain... it collects lint from the water to prevent it from clogging the pipes. When the leg is full, just tie it off and chuck it, then replace with a fresh one.

You could fill them with sand, tie off some sections as a head and body, and use it as a baby in a play... and then have gritty baby residue all over your stage... on second thought, don't. (Oh, the horror stories of sand-babies!)

I'll sometimes use old stretchy ones to cover my pincurled head up before bed in a pinch if I don't have my headwrap with me.

Shoe buffers.

:) And my favorite: Use old pantyhose to remove deodorant marks on clothes. It really works wonders-- if you get deodorant on your shirt in the morning, bunch up some pantyhose and scrub at those white marks... they come right out!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Joie DeVive said:
Here's one from my Girl Scout days; camping soap holder.

Put a bar of soap into the toe, tie the other end to the spigot.
Keeps the soap near the faucet and clean so that 20 girls can wash up for meals...

Also to collect all the ends of soap bars together to hang near laundry sink or outside so you can wash hands after gardening. My Nana always did this.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
If you put one over the end of the hoover when going underneath stuff you can use it to pick stuff up, rather than just sucking it through!

Also in my book The 1940s Look it recommends cutting them into little "sockettes" to put inside shoes when stockings were scarce (or in my case when it's too hot for them...I'm just not that authentic! :D )

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
If you put one over the end of the hoover when going underneath stuff you can use it to pick stuff up, rather than just sucking it through!

What a great idea. We used to use cheesecloth for that, but a stocking would work much better!! The cheesecloth was hard to keep on and kept shifting.

We also used that to clean dusty stuffed animals. Put them in a clean plastic garbage bag and stick in the "netted" (or stockinged in this case) end of a tank vacuum, or hose attachment. Shake and suck out all the dust without catching loose pieces. :)

missjo

Practically Family
Mend and make do!!!!
I use them to repair my stockings that need fixing!
Cut toes, heels and top band to put them on other stockings, cut bits out to cover holes, etc, etc.

Some of my stockings look like patchwork quilts ;)

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
I just thought of another use...filters for straining liquids. I am making my first batch of rosewater and I needed something to strain out all the dead aphids, so I raided my stocking drawer.

I wonder if they would work as coffee filters?

--Leslie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto