Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using the saucer

Cricket

Practically Family
One more thing, and then I will stop. (This gets addictive)

I found this article from George Orwell (who I love) titled A Nice Cup of Tea.
http://www.booksatoz.com/witsend/tea/orwell.htm

From that article, it looks like George had the same question about "why is it considered vulgar to drink out of your saucer, for instance?"

He even mentions "the Russian style of drinking tea."

Good read about tea though.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
Drinking tea from a saucer is not uncommon but here in the UK it is very frowned upon.I agree that the tea cools faster in a saucer and thus can be drunk more quickly, i think his probably stems from when tea in cafes was served in cups with saucers thus when you got to your table some had been spilled into the saucer and was slurped out first and hey presto it was cool.Sadly the demise of the cup and saucer in favour of the mug has seen this tradition is dying out.I do think that in some countries the phrase will you join me for a dish of tea is used.Must go now feeling dry must make myself a cuppa rosie lee or shall i have a dish.:rolleyes:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Samovar notes

They used to use charcoal to heat them, which is fine except it can kill you in an enclosed room, so one must open a window! I use charcoal briquets... mostly for outdoors.
The body of the samovar is a tube within a tube, the outer tube has water, the inner one fire.
On top, you would keep a small pot of killer strong tea, too strong to drink, and then put your tea in your glass (pronounced gless by my grandparents) and add hot water to bring it to proper strength. Sugar cube between the teeth, or, sometimes, a spoonful of berry jam in the tea.
I have a swell samovar that was a wedding gift, and it says USSR on it, so now it's a collectible!
But I have never drunk from a saucer, I thought it was considered unmannerly - maybe I am wrong...

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
The body of the samovar is a tube within a tube, the outer tube has water, the inner one fire.

That sound a lot like a storm kettle. I've thought about getting one of these for backpacking for some time, now.
kelly1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112