Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vacuum Coffee Pots

storman113

Familiar Face
Recently picked up a glass Cory vacuum coffee maker. I already had a medal Sunbeam. These were popular in the 50s. Have read that coffee from a vacuum pot is suppose to be the best method for brewing. The water temp is just below boiling. I do notice a difference even though my taste buds are almost gone. The Mr Coffee units are definitely easier to use and clean.

I like to use the glass when I’m sharing as it’s really fun to watch the process. The Sunbeam is easier as it has an automatic shutoff and built in warmer.

As the water in the bottom unit heats, it builds pressure. At some point it forces the water into the upper chamber to mix with the coffee. As the lower chamber cools, a vacuum is formed as there is less water than when started. This pulls the now coffee through the filter back into the chamber.

If you run across a Sunbeam unit, check the cord, it's different than most and that the filter is complete with the fine mesh lower screen.

Cory Vacuum pot and hot plate
Cory1.jpg

Ready to go
Cory2.jpg

Pushed into upper chamber
Cory3.jpg

Sucked back into lower
Cory4.jpg

Ready to enjoy
Cory5.jpg

Sunbeam pot
Sunbeam1.jpg

GI Joe

Familiar Face
See, this is what I love about this site. I'm casually scrolling through these pictures, "Uh Huh, that's interesting" and I get to the last pic and "Holy Cow!" it's the coffee pot my Mom & Dad used to use when I was a kid! Never had any idea that this is how it worked.

Thanks for the memory, Storman113!

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Vacuum pots make great coffee. I have one of the ones made by bodum and I love it. The coffee is similar to French press-type coffee , but richer, smoother, less bitter and without any grit.

I will say, however, that because the resulting brew tastes so clean, one is really rewarded by starting with fresh coffee beans (not the stuff that has been sitting in a warehouse and then on a supermarket shelf for who knows how long) and ginding them just before use.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here's a coffee pot I inherited from my late mother in law. It's a Flavor Seal, and the bottom says NICRO. I tried it out last night with just water, and it worked like a charm. Apparently you don't even need a filter with these babies. I'm dying to have enough people at my place to warrant making a pot of coffee now. The lower vessel doesn't have a hinged lid, which most others I've seen on the web seem to have. Maybe there's a separate lid which is lost. Whatever.
Nicro1.jpg

Nicro2.jpg

Nicro4.jpg

e5yju7yb.jpg

Unknown age or maker. Came from my grandmother's house.
sy2egysu.jpg

This one came from my Aunt. It's from Sears, late 50s.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Edit - just realized these are percolaters, and probably in the wrong thread. But since it doesn't seem to have seen any action in a while I'll just leave 'em. Someone else feel free to delete if they feel it's necessary.

Last edited:

HandyGoober

New in Town
Here's a coffee pot I inherited from my late mother in law. It's a Flavor Seal, and the bottom says NICRO. I tried it out last night with just water, and it worked like a charm. Apparently you don't even need a filter with these babies. I'm dying to have enough people at my place to warrant making a pot of coffee now. The lower vessel doesn't have a hinged lid, which most others I've seen on the web seem to have. Maybe there's a separate lid which is lost. Whatever.
Nicro1.jpg

Nicro2.jpg

Nicro4.jpg
We had one growing up worked great. Went with a sibling and now gone to only memory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21