Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson cafe racer fit for riding

estranged

New in Town
Hi guys. I got Vanson model B leather jacket. How do you guys think it fits me? I actually intend to use it for riding motorcycle, and i think i might need one size smaller. When i sit, it sticks into my throat, but overall it's pretty snug, but again it's hard to tell as it is too stiff now, i can fit couple sweater underneath, so it's not that tight. But i also intend to use body armor underneath and i assume it might be quite thick.

8AMtTRv.jpg

dmPdWtf.jpg

01flhr

One of the Regulars
If its uncomfortable its not right in my opinion. Theyre made to have only a tshirt underneath. If you can fit more than 1 sweatshirt under it id say its too big. Have you talked to vanson about fitting armor? I dont use it so im not familiar with how it should fit. I would suggest though to look at their jackets that are made for armor and cut for armor.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
It looks OK from here but the pic is pretty far back. I don't know that they are made to ONLY have a t-shirt underneath. There's times on a bike when a t-shirt doesn't cut it. If worn with a sweatshirt ( a regular sweatshirt...not a big heavy thermal type ) it should fit on the tight side. With a t-shirt it should be a little looser. IMO if it's really tight with a t-shirt...it's too small. If it's not tight with a sweatshirt it's too big. Hope this helps......

estranged

New in Town
Well the problem is that the leather is so thick and non flexible at this moment that it's hard to tell if it is tight or not. But indeed i can fit several sweatshirts underneath, but they it gets really tight.

@01flhr, I don't live in very hot climate so having a sweater underneath is definitely a must. Now regarding armor, i am talking about those armored suits like Alpinestars bionic armor, there is no reason why it should not fit underneath the jacket, unless the jacket is too small of course.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
The majority of their jackets are designed for riding. Theyre not made to have layers underneath. I understand the practicality of being able to layer but thats just not the way they do things. Their jackets are made to be comfortable in the riding position too. The reason for the tight fit is so in a getoff you slide instead of tumble. Look at thurston brothers site. Thats how these jackets are made to fit.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Well the problem is that the leather is so thick and non flexible at this moment that it's hard to tell if it is tight or not. But indeed i can fit several sweatshirts underneath, but they it gets really tight.

@01flhr, I don't live in very hot climate so having a sweater underneath is definitely a must. Now regarding armor, i am talking about those armored suits like Alpinestars bionic armor, there is no reason why it should not fit underneath the jacket, unless the jacket is too small of course.
If you can fit several sweatshirts underneath it's too big.............Like 01flhr said ...not more than 1 sweatshirt .

Last edited:

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Tree is right. I like being able to get an underarmour coldgear form fitting top under mine. If i remember riight they make something very similar to the b thats made for armor

estranged

New in Town
Tree is right. I like being able to get an underarmour coldgear form fitting top under mine. If i remember riight they make something very similar to the b thats made for armor

You are talking about model A probably, which has armor, but I think it makes sense to have separate jacket and armored shirt. In that case you can actually use the jacket casually, and still look good away from motorcycle.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
I would call and talk to them. I actually just talked to them about 30 minutes ago about a custom order highwayman. I also found a review on their ar2 with the bio armor too.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
You are talking about model A probably, which has armor, but I think it makes sense to have separate jacket and armored shirt. In that case you can actually use the jacket casually, and still look good away from motorcycle.

Yes, Vanson has a Model A with armour version, called the AR3. I have a customised one and it works well enough, but in this day and age when we're being spoiled for choice in slimmer, more malleable amor pads (D3O, seesoft etc) the Vanson pads are positively thick and bulky. I'm sure they're more than up to the task of protecting me in a spill, but there's no getting around their bulk and stiffness. Many times, for shorter rides, around-town commuting & the like, I just take the armour pads off and wear a softer armoured shirt underneath - Bohn, Knox, Alpinestar Bionic, all work well.

Estranged, now re: your jacket size, going by the pics, especially the side-view one, yes, looks to me like you could perhaps go down a size, particularly since you mentioned you could fit several sweatshirts underneath. whatever it is, the Vanson model B is an awesome looking jacket, and I still wonder why I haven't picked one up myself, gotta rectify that situation soon!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Dude, you're in your pyamas, dress up in the stuff you wear biking and then put on that jacket, you cannot judge the fit of a jacket like that. And only the very fewest people ride only in a t-shirt. Haven't done that not even once in my life. Always either both protection and a sweater or at least one of the two.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Wow, you guys really layer when riding. Ill usually still wear my jacket up to 80 or so degrees. After that, i hate to say it, but im in a tshirt, jeans, boots, and a prayer. A helmet is always a must though. Vanson will do different body and sleeve lengths without the custom upcharge too. That might be a better route for you too

estranged

New in Town
I would call and talk to them. I actually just talked to them about 30 minutes ago about a custom order highwayman. I also found a review on their ar2 with the bio armor too.

Good point, will do that!

Yes, Vanson has a Model A with armour version, called the AR3. I have a customised one and it works well enough, but in this day and age when we're being spoiled for choice in slimmer, more malleable amor pads (D3O, seesoft etc) the Vanson pads are positively thick and bulky. I'm sure they're more than up to the task of protecting me in a spill, but there's no getting around their bulk and stiffness. Many times, for shorter rides, around-town commuting & the like, I just take the armour pads off and wear a softer armoured shirt underneath - Bohn, Knox, Alpinestar Bionic, all work well.

Estranged, now re: your jacket size, going by the pics, especially the side-view one, yes, looks to me like you could perhaps go down a size, particularly since you mentioned you could fit several sweatshirts underneath. whatever it is, the Vanson model B is an awesome looking jacket, and I still wonder why I haven't picked one up myself, gotta rectify that situation soon!

That's exactly my plan, i'd like to get some skimmer armor shirt underneath my vanson, but have no idea how thick they are. If i am with t-shirt and even a sweater my jacket is somewhat too big for riding indeed, but i think it might fit just right with the armored shirt, because that thing has both shoulder, chest and back protection, which will increaste my overall size quite a bit i assume.

Dude, you're in your pyamas, dress up in the stuff you wear biking and then put on that jacket, you cannot judge the fit of a jacket like that. And only the very fewest people ride only in a t-shirt. Haven't done that not even once in my life. Always either both protection and a sweater or at least one of the two.

Well i don't have any riding gear, nor do i have motorcycle, but i have a license and i (almost) have a jacket.

Anyways, i think this jacket looks good on me because it's perfect size for me height (6ft), but you can't see how skinny i am underneath, and at this point i am quite skinny and weight 160lb. Here's few more pics to see:

gN8Qw19.jpg

3dfD1Zc.jpg

FM0Fi5K.jpg

honestly for casual use i'd keep it because it looks cool and it's comfy, not too tight, however i am not sure if it's not too baggy for riding.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember riding down a Greek Motorway jeans, light suede jacket, RayBan's...no 'Skid Lid'..these days even in the height of Summer I've got Knox Armour under everything...Old Age I Guess :) Oh, lovely Vanson by the way

I have a Vanson Enfield that I wear a Knox Armored Shirt under. I also have a vintage Fidelity cafe racer jacket & an AL Dirt Rider. Typically, I only wear the Knox shirt when going on long trips or up in the serious twisties. I like the jackets to fit over a long sleeve thermal with a tshirt over that. On cold days I can wear the thermal with a microfleece over it & the jackets fit snug. I have a Bilt ballistic armored jacket for really hot weather riding as well as perforated leather cafe racer. As your sleeves crease up, they may not be long enough when you stretch for the grips.

bn1966

I have a Vanson Enfield that I wear a Knox Armored Shirt under. I also have a vintage Fidelity cafe racer jacket & an AL Dirt Rider. Typically, I only wear the Knox shirt when going on long trips or up in the serious twisties. I like the jackets to fit over a long sleeve thermal with a tshirt over that. On cold days I can wear the thermal with a microfleece over it & the jackets fit snug. I have a Bilt ballistic armored jacket for really hot weather riding as well as perforated leather cafe racer. As your sleeves crease up, they may not be long enough when you stretch for the grips.

I combine the Knox (shirt, shorts & full back) with Draggin K Kevlar Sweat & Pants :)

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
If I came accross as polemic, I apologize. Didn't mean to. See, here's how I see it:

Jacket is a nice casual fit, indeed not overly "the flash tight" tight, but also not too big or too lose. It fits in the shoulders and I think at its bottom it sits well on your hips. I understand that there's room at the waist area because you appear to have a massive drop from chest to waist, but first, you can use the side straps to get it tighter in the waist, second if you size down, it might get restricting in the shoulders and also maybe too tight at the bottom, at your hips which are much broader than your waist. Last thing, this is the kind of jacket that lasts for decades if cared for properly. You should keep in mind you might gain weight in the coming years. Most people do. I certainly did. Might be muscle, might be fat, but you are likely to gain weight. You're currently very skinny for your height and to your own standard, I understood that correctly? Because if you size very tight now, once you gain weight, you can go and buy a new jacket. (Might be a reason for some here to go for the tight fit but I'm assuming you're not here long enough yet to infected with the virus. :D )

estranged

New in Town

Hmm, good point about sleeves creasing up. I thought that with time jacket will fold over my body and sleeves will actually get longer, no? No jacket is like an armor, but i expect with time it will get more to my body and therefore get longer.

If I came accross as polemic, I apologize. Didn't mean to. See, here's how I see it:

Jacket is a nice casual fit, indeed not overly "the flash tight" tight, but also not too big or too lose. It fits in the shoulders and I think at its bottom it sits well on your hips. I understand that there's room at the waist area because you appear to have a massive drop from chest to waist, but first, you can use the side straps to get it tighter in the waist, second if you size down, it might get restricting in the shoulders and also maybe too tight at the bottom, at your hips which are much broader than your waist. Last thing, this is the kind of jacket that lasts for decades if cared for properly. You should keep in mind you might gain weight in the coming years. Most people do. I certainly did. Might be muscle, might be fat, but you are likely to gain weight. You're currently very skinny for your height and to your own standard, I understood that correctly? Because if you size very tight now, once you gain weight, you can go and buy a new jacket. (Might be a reason for some here to go for the tight fit but I'm assuming you're not here long enough yet to infected with the virus. :D )

Oh don't worry about that, i took it funny :D

But good tips, indeed i weighted +20lb just few months ago when was hitting the gym but now stopped doing that so got skinny again. I just tried putting waist strap maximum tight and in the waist area it good pretty tight, so that's good! The only part which is not really comfortable is sitting, then my collar snaps into my neck, so i am not sure how comfortable it will be riding with this jacket. But maybe with time it will soften up and collar won't be so rough. But on the other hand, getting size down won't make any significant difference in length anyways.

El Marro

With a bit of wear I think the uncomfortable collar problem will go away entirely. I have owned two new Vanson jackets and both of them were extremely stiff when I bought them. So much so that when I would sit down with the jacket half zipped the shoulders would float up around my ears and I felt as if I were wearing a leather straitjacket. After a week or so of steady wear the jackets began to loosen up and conform to my body. After several months of regular wear they were actually comfortable!
As other have said, the jacket looks like a good fit from the photos. Congratulations on the new Vanson!

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
That jacket fits you fine. It's new, and needs to break in. Because it's thick, it will take some time. Just wear it, and don't overthink it. Who wants to see a dude in tight leather? Just chill and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui