Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Chopper - Any owners provide feedback?

ksozay

One Too Many
Searched but isn't much listed for people that own this jacket.

I've been wanting to purchase one off/on since it was released. Wondering how folks that own it, like it. Good daily wear jacket or "only when I ride" type jacket?

Also, noticed that there are two configurations (one with camo liner and one with red liner). Any difference beyond the liner type?

Thanks!

KS

I own one from Paul Cox Industries. Love it. One of my favorite jackets. Ask any questions you may have, I will try to answer.

I have worn it off bike and gotten compliments. I usually ride in it but I ride daily. Probably more of an on the bike jacket though. That said, I wear my jackets when and where I like lol.

If there is anything you want done to it, call Vanson and work through it. One thing is that I believe they now come in S-M-L etc. If the numbers are spot on great, if not, call Vanson for in between sizes or other such tweaks.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Searched but isn't much listed for people that own this jacket.

I've been wanting to purchase one off/on since it was released. Wondering how folks that own it, like it. Good daily wear jacket or "only when I ride" type jacket?

Also, noticed that there are two configurations (one with camo liner and one with red liner). Any difference beyond the liner type?

Thanks!

KS

The red lining is actually a quilted lining. When we received our first batch of Choppers many years ago, we quickly realized that the quilted lining was too heavy for anything but really cold weather. We switched to the black rayon lining for our stock Choppers (the camo was a special edition made with some great fabric that we sourced) and the lighter lining makes this style more wearable throughout the year!

I own one from Paul Cox Industries. Love it. One of my favorite jackets. Ask any questions you may have, I will try to answer.

I have worn it off bike and gotten compliments. I usually ride in it but I ride daily. Probably more of an on the bike jacket though. That said, I wear my jackets when and where I like lol.

If there is anything you want done to it, call Vanson and work through it. One thing is that I believe they now come in S-M-L etc. If the numbers are spot on great, if not, call Vanson for in between sizes or other such tweaks.

The lack of the in-between sizes has always been frustrating :( That's why we had Vanson grade out the in-between sizes for our shop and now we stock sizes 38 and 42 (the "missing" ones) in our Chopper range.

Never had one myself but in all these years, Chopper has consistently been the only jacket ever that I never stopped truly wanting. Was I getting a brand new Vanson, it would be it. Go for it.

ksozay

One Too Many

Thanks Jmax!

How was the break-in? I've got a few of the PLU 3 jackets and one Maverick, the comp weight hide has been challenging to break-in and assuming will be the same with this jacket. I have a little concern that the cross-zip may make this feel like a "straight-jacket" until it's been worn a bit. I would ride in this jacket so stiffness is something I just need to be wary of based on my riding position.

You have the red quilted liner or other? How is the jacket wearing off the bike? Heavy but manageable or "only in the fall/winter" type wear?

Thank you again!

You are like my co-addict best friend. :)

Pretty much the definition of enabler. XD Maybe I should be saying, you don't need that jacket, ksozay, you've got more than enough jackets, most of which are arguably higher grade, the Z150 leather is too stiff and uncomfortable, etc., etc.

Having said that, I'd definitely get one with the red lining. It's what makes this jacket.

ksozay

One Too Many
Pretty much the definition of enabler. XD Maybe I should be saying, you don't need that jacket, ksozay, you've got more than enough jackets, most of which are arguably higher grade, the Z150 leather is too stiff and uncomfortable, etc., etc.

Having said that, I'd definitely get one with the red lining. It's what makes this jacket.

You're right, I definitely don't need another jacket. Which means I should probably get it.

dannyk

One Too Many
I have a Chopper in size 36 with the black liner that I got from Carrie at Thurston. It’s sylish enough to be a daily wear jacket but being Vanson Comp. weight it certainly is heavy. It’s not a jacket you toss on and don’t notice. It fits snug as bike jacket should but not tight. I can move freely without feeling like the jacket is wearing me. The stock 36 comes to right about belt level and the sleeves go slightly past my wrist. For reference I’m 5’8 and around 140lb. Definitely a keeper jacket I’m not going to get rid of it. Comp. Weight being so thick and heavy though it can take a long time for them to wear in and gain any “patina” but when they do they can’t be beat.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
I bought mine from Thurston Bros a few years ago, the one with black rayon lining. It’s their comp-weight leather, heavy duty stuff, designed for riding. I ride a lot so it’s definitely up my alley. Wouldn’t consider it my top choice for everyday casual wear - perhaps once I’m done breaking it completely? Then still maybe not, LOL! I love it, but due to too many other leather jackets in the rotation, I haven’t worn it as much as I should have. And serendipitously here’s what Vanson Leathers posted on their Instagram page today - the Chopper has military grade ballistic nylon lining on the padded sections as added protective layer - stoked to hear this, didn’t know about it till now! Granted it’s not full on ce-level hard pads, but extra layer of unobtrusive protection is always nice to have!

107FD5B7-AEBA-4E5A-843A-480DA21BCFFD.jpeg

Last edited:

You need to post more pics of yours man...that jacket is friggn' killer!

Thanks Jmax!

How was the break-in? I've got a few of the PLU 3 jackets and one Maverick, the comp weight hide has been challenging to break-in and assuming will be the same with this jacket. I have a little concern that the cross-zip may make this feel like a "straight-jacket" until it's been worn a bit. I would ride in this jacket so stiffness is something I just need to be wary of based on my riding position.

You have the red quilted liner or other? How is the jacket wearing off the bike? Heavy but manageable or "only in the fall/winter" type wear?

Thank you again!

Mine is in the octagon so break in not too bad. Not comp weight heavy and manageable. Though I do prefer heavy jackets. I have a number of comp. weight cross-zips and they are a bit tight when new but really do seem to loosen up when on the bike, even when brand new. Vanson is made for riding.

Could not agree more. Man, maybe in my top 5 most beautiful leather jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the riveted detail in the kidney belt...I inadvertently stumbled across this jacket awhile back, nearly shit a brick when i saw @JMax had one.

dannyk

One Too Many
I love my black chopper. But man I LOVE that one. @JMax you have a keeper of all keepers. That’s a thing of beauty.

I love the riveted detail in the kidney belt...I inadvertently stumbled across this jacket awhile back, nearly shit a brick when i saw @JMax had one.

That caught my eye. And the sewn in/attached key ring clip in the pocket. No digging for keys. I tried to get a photo of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana