Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Stadium jacket

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
My review of the Vanson Stadium style.

I have owned this jacket for a while now, however it hasn't seen much wear yet, maybe a few weeks. I recently picked it up again and remembered I had wanted to review it here, because first, I think it is a great bargain of a jacket despite a few things I dislike (later more about that) and second, when I researched it before buying it, I couldn't find anything about it, no pictures at all. So maybe this here will help a future buyer.

General:

It is a short jacket, roughly 24" length in a size 40 and it rolls up at the back as most knit bottom jackets do when new, so it's real short. I am 5'9" and I wouldn't want it any shorter. It has 2 handwarmer pockets, two wallet pockets inside and raglan sleeves. It is a very relaxed, "bomber"-style fit. In the fit pictures you will see it fits me very baggy and it is a size 40 while I have a 40" chest and 180 pounds on me. So I am not exactly the most skinny 40" person and it's still baggy.

What I like about the jacket:

-the competition weight cowhide; it promises to break in beautifully, just look at the close up of the grain at the collar which i took.

http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jacketjunkie/media/Vanson%20Stadium/IMG_1882_zps1mgp092q.jpg.html] [/URL]

-the thought-through positioning of the pockets; the outer handwarmer pockets are at the perfect height to be comfortable to use (something which many manufacturers mess up terribly) and the internal pockets are at the right height too. Not at chest height, but much lower, so you can grab into them comfortably. Also, they are very wide, so you have no difficulties getting your sausage fingers in there when trying to grab your wallet or phone. Again, I point this out, because I have made different experiences with most other big players represented and liked here. It's a minor detail but this pocket positioning is actually the reason why I pick this one over my Aeros and even Johnsons when I am in a hurry and want a comfortably usable casual jacket.

The one thing that slightly bother me with the jacket:

-the sleeves are long and I mean, real long. I actually consider having them shortened by an inch.

Summary:

For less than 500 USD it is a real bargain if you like short jackets and if you like baggy jackets. If you want a tight fit, you have to size down. Also, it helps to have arms the length of a gorilla to achieve the best off the rack fit. Because I am fairly sure the jacket was modeled on a bodybuilding gorilla.

Fit pictures:

The back shot is with the jacket opened, it doesn't look as messy when it's zipped up. Generally, I didn't try to pull and put this jacket in the perfect position and look for the pics. I couldve pulled up the sleeves a bit by repeatedly wrinkling my elbows and I could've pulled it straight down in the back but I didn't. This is how the jacket fits if you put it on completly un-selfaware and careless. I included a pic with raised arms to show off the great mobility you have in this jacket. The shoulders and collar don't move up at all, it's very well designed.

http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jacketjunkie/media/Vanson%20Stadium/IMG_1871_zpsp42agath.jpg.html] [/URL]

http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jacketjunkie/media/Vanson%20Stadium/IMG_1874_zpsfbgyjv6p.jpg.html] [/URL]

http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jacketjunkie/media/Vanson%20Stadium/IMG_1872_zpshkba3kwj.jpg.html] [/URL]

http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jacketjunkie/media/Vanson%20Stadium/IMG_1876_zpsrjz9kan8.jpg.html] [/URL]

http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jacketjunkie/media/Vanson%20Stadium/IMG_1878_zpsk4vgw9qt.jpg.html] [/URL]

Hope it helps someone for future purchases. As I said, great bang for the buck and nice utility jacket.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I like Vanson Comp weight jackets... I'm amazed at the price you paid for it though.... Your discussion of the sleeves leads me to believe that you bought it off the rack. But enough of that... I love that style jacket. It's fun, easy to wear and tough as nails at that weight. I've an Ike that used to be my black "go to" but now it's a black Highwayman. Yours fit's you well, cept for the sleeves. Wait till Fall or Winter then she'll grow on you with your wool sweater underneath....

Worf

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. Yeh, the sleeves are too long, but as I said, I'll probably have them shortened by a local tailor and then it'll be good.

My fault on the missunderstanding regarding price. I bought it directly for Vanson about two years ago for 449 USD. They minimally raised the price to 470 USD since.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. Yeh, the sleeves are too long, but as I said, I'll probably have them shortened by a local tailor and then it'll be good.

My fault on the missunderstanding regarding price. I bought it directly for Vanson about two years ago for 449 USD. They minimally raised the price to 470 USD since.

Ah now that makes more sense!!!! Still I think she'll grow on you though if you give her a chance.

Worf

Reactions: RJR

samo

One of the Regulars
Nice fit, and for me it does not seems baggy at all? But i would agree with You about sleeves, they are tad long, but this is easy fix.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Although that particular Vanson model is not exactly my cup of tea, that was a fantastic review, one of the best I have seen in awhile. I concur with shortening the sleeves but otherwise appears to be a very good fit.

BobJ

Practically Family
I may be just another echo, but I think the jacket fits fine - except for the arms being a bit long. Take care of that and you'll have a nice looking jacket you can wear anywhere.

I don't think it's too short at all - especially since it doesn't ride up with every little raising of your arms.

Maybe it's just you, but even though it has raglan sleeves, it makes you look well muscled and powerful across the shoulders. Sometimes raglan sleeves can give you a slump-shouldered look.

How much are you thinking about taking off the sleeves? I had to take two inches off mine, and it made the jacket surprisingly more enjoyable to wear.

Plus, shortening the sleeves will make them more proportional to the body, and showing the knit cuffs will complete the look of the jacket.

Thanks for the review, I enjoyed it.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Nice review, well written and very throughful.

I've not had a lot of sucess with bomber style jackets other than Carhartt utility jackets. To those who can wear & enjoy them, this is a very nice offering. If you ever hope on the motorcycle with that jacket on, you'll appreciate the extra sleeve length! :)

Edward

Bartender
Great review. FWIW, I think the jacket looks great on you - it has the style, look and fit of a 50s civilian jacket loosely inspired by the A2, B15, et al. Vanson do great work; I've consdiered them for a bike jacket, but not too clear on their website whether the models I like can take their armouring...

IXL

One Too Many
Good review! I have two versions of this jacket; the Stadium which you have, and also the Team jacket, which features a knit collar. I find them to be very useful jackets, and the sleeves on both have shortened dramatically since purchase. I'm told that they both look good when worn and are not too short at all. Also, the cut works well when one is wearing a shoulder-holster rig.
A couple days ago I was outside in fields for several hours, with winds constantly in excess of 35mph, and those knits kept out the drafts.
If I were you, I'd wear the jacket a bit before whacking the sleeves and see what happens.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Samo, Fanch, ProteinNerd, BobJ, AeroFan, Edward, IXL, thank you all for your feedback.

I consider taking off 1" of the sleeves but I will take Worfs and IXL's advice and wait til it's proerly broken in.
IXL, I agree, the knits make the jacket surprisingly warm even though the lining is very thin.

Edward, e-mail them. David is very friendly and helpful and I am sure Vanson will find a way to satisfy you. Don't think you can go any better for a bike jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk