Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ventile

Stephen.B

New in Town
Great jacket Paddy, sad that everything comes down to profit margins. Ventile is expensive, add the labour of making them in the UK which also bumps the cost up. I think there might be a sea change in the near future due to the rising costs of garments manufactured overseas, the dark satanic mills could be making a comeback!

Otter

One Too Many
Great job..! The sand coloured one should look outstanding ! But the navy is impressive. I'm a long time lover of Ventile Fabric (& the similar Grenfell fabric). I had a jacket from Survival Aids in Cumbria for many years from the early 80s! Now have a Barbour ventile coat (not making them anymore due to the expense and low profit margins on them. Built like a tank!). See pics of the Barbour.
View attachment 11419
View attachment 11420

Not often you run into someone who had one of the Survival Aids jackets! I used one for UK climbing back in the 1980's. Problem with gentile is it absorbed water and became heavy and stiffer, especially as it froze as you got to higher altitudes. Less of a problem in the cool dry Alps. One time I managed to split a pair of Karrimor wax cotton mittens across the palm by doing that. The SA jacket survived well, but I have to say the performance is not a patch on modern goretex like fabrics, but very good for its time.

wdw

One Too Many
I hear you, Otter. I had a navy Survival Aids double layer ventile jacket in the late 80s. I'll never forget one winter walking up the Cairngorms in rain to above the snow line, then having it freeze like a board on me. That was a horrible, miserable day and the jacket took days to dry out.

Another poor aspect was the arm material splitting along the glued seams. I've now been using Paramo for years for winter walks and that's a revelation in comparison, being everything ventile should have been.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I've got a Nigel Cabourn Ventile smock that I picked up in a sale last year. It's been my go-to jacket for the last few months.

Coke.jpg

That's not my hat. :D

Otter

One Too Many
WDW, interesting go know that, I have to replace my technical waterproof as something small and squeaky gnawed its way through the collar and out the hood. I was leaning towards one of the Berghaus XCR jackets, but any recommendations on the paramo? I have one of their reversible smocks for warmth and it can be quite useful.

wdw

One Too Many
Otter, I'm a complete Paramo fan. After ventile, I used goretex for years, sweating like a pig, until I discovered Paramo. It's in a different league entirely, hugely more breathable, versatile and much quicker drying, albeit heavier.

The theory is you wear a layer less and wear all day, so don't carry in your pack. I wouldn't wear anything else in the hills in wet climates like Scotland.

My main recommendation would definitely be to buy their waterproof trousers as well as a jacket, as you'll feel completely bulletproof in heavy wind and rain. I couldn't believe the difference the first time I used it in anger. I've had a lot of their gear, from standard weight to the newer lighter weight, and am back to standard now, as it's more robust.

For those who don't know, Paramo's claim to fame is that you could fill their waterproof gear full of pinholes and you'd still stay dry. It's like magic. Try doing that with goretex.

Last edited:

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Good to hear about SA - I still got some of their silk base layers and shirts. Rohan used their own excellent polycotton to make Ventile-lite jackets (Pampas) in the 80's/90's - not taped but super comfortable.
Private White VC have an extensive range of Ventile Jackets ( http://www.privatewhitevc.com/online-shop/mens/outerwear/ventile-jackets.html#/page/1 ) including some nice looking fly front Raincoats. All made in UK's Cottonopolis (Manchester) Looking forward to visiting there soon. They've got an established store in Lambs Conduit St (London) and an imminent opening in Mayfair

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21