Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Banana Republic safari jackets

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I just picked up a vintage banana republic safari jacket in primo condition. I was wondering if anyone knew when banana republic got bought out. Its a shame they don't make this type of clothing anymore. It goes great with my brown optimo and my federations.

fedoralover

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
My dad has one of their old Photographer's Vests that he treasures dearly. I don't think they make those any more either.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
They used to be a safari and adventure supply store, now they're a cross between the Gap and Abercrombie and Fitch. Its a real shame, I've been able to pick up a few of their vintage items and they are really sweet. I've got a kaki shirt and a leather jacket that still have the old tags on them. They don't stock any of those type of items anymore.

fedoralover

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I used to go to Banana Republic. I bought a few of those photo journalist vests for work. I now wished I would have bought a lot of other things too. The Gap bought them in 1988 and within a few years they sacrificed the entire safari theme for trendy clothes for twenty somethings.

That is not only stupid....it is also shameful. They could have started a new line (which is what they did anyway) and let someone buy the company who has will do it justice.

This has happened to a lot of companies. Willis & Geiger, Eddie Bauer has gone main stream, Orvis was bought by Ex Officio (sp) and they have added some strange funky items that worry me.

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
Banana Republic WAS great. I have an A-2 that I bought 15 years ago and it still looks like new. Their Expedition cloth shirts were first rate. I was cleanning out my house three weeks ago and found 3 of their old catalogs that I had saved. Great art work!
Regards,
Forrestal

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
I tried to buy all of my clothes at Banana Republic before they went trendy.

Is there ANY outfit out there that's the Banana Republic of our day? Is there any store out there who does the job and fills the niche BR once did?

There is a market for this gear. It's out there?

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I checked out the link to USWINGS that sharpetoys gave and their safari/bush jacket looked pretty good. the price of 60.00 is very reasonable.

fedoralover

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Originally posted by Kentucky Blues
I belive either L.L. Bean or Cabelas (or both) have a few stores in New England.

Regards, Daryl.

Funny how my Head (bathroom) has L.L. Bean catalogs from three years back, my mother in-law is always giving me L.L. Bean shirts, my favorate pants are from L.L. Bean, I'm wearning boots from L.L. Bean and I wrote a review on a Cabela shirt.

I guess I miss the Safari style of B-R.

xcubbies

New in Town
Banana Republic Safari Jacket

The problem with that Safari Jacket was that the washing instructions said 'dry clean only.' A friend had one when we were in Somalia, in the mid-1980s, and the closest dry cleaner was in Nairobi, about 600 miles away.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Old Banana Republic Stuff

A friend worked at a BR in the 80's. He bought up everything he could in his size when there was a closeout (combined with his emplyee discount). He just gave me a large duffle filled with old BR stuff, much of it still tagged, to sell on Ebay. Haven't looked inside it yet.

CoffeeDude

One of the Regulars
You also might want to try Cabela's. They have a few safari items. I've been pretty happy with the the things I've ordered so far. In other words: Safari, so good. :rolleyes:

David V

A-List Customer
fedoralover said:
They used to be a safari and adventure supply store, now they're a cross between the Gap and Abercrombie and Fitch. Its a real shame, I've been able to pick up a few of their vintage items and they are really sweet. I've got a kaki shirt and a leather jacket that still have the old tags on them. They don't stock any of those type of items anymore.

fedoralover

Remember when Abercrombie and Fich was an outdoor/sportsman store?

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Whither Filson?

I'm wondering which way Filson is going to go now that they have been bought. The last catalog I got had a big supplement in the middle with the new Lodge line; lots of stuff that seems more fashionable than their standard fare. The local retailer that carries Filson is also cautiously watching their future releases. Filson has put out that new bomber jacket of theirs in something like five different fabrics already!

Highlander

A-List Customer
I have the Banana Republic Photojournalist Vest. One fine piece of gear. I too wish I'd have went ahead and bought a safari jacket when it was available there. I try to watch E-Bay for one in 44-L.

I have one that is Ram Line or some such, and it looks hokey..

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
old Banana Republic catalogs

I have about a dozen of these I've kept since receiving them in the mail when the store was original. It sucks now; a rehash of the Gap. The catalogs are 6" x 8" and have hand drawn pictures of the clothing and accessories with over the top descriptions. Basically they're done like a journal with color art work. I do remember for sure seeing one of the original stores in 1993 at Union Station in St. Louis. It had a old jeep cut in half and fitted back together on either side of the glass window at the front of the store and a jungle setting. Each store was unique in its decor. Another had the front of an old plane coming out of the wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk