Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Barbour jackets

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen, let's talk Barbour!
My father seems to be obsessed with this British waxed jackets, and I never understood why. Lately though, my curiosity sparked (mostly after i saw his one after a rewaxing treatment), and I decided to do a little research about their history. I found some infos online, and everything is really interesting, but what I still can't figure out is: when did Barbour start to make their iconic hunting jackets? The Beaufort and the Bedale came out in the early 80s, and as for before I only found references about their belted motorcycle jackets. I'm pretty sure some of the green hunting ones were around in the 70s though. Could those be Gamefair models?
Some differences about the early models seem to be: the main round zipper puller unmarked, zipper marked AERO, studs not anodized and covered in green plastic caps, no handwarmer pockets, no lining in some cases.

Last edited:

MikePotts

Practically Family
I wore Barbours most days in the UK through the '70's and early '80s I had the 'Durham', which was a short, unlined drawstring waist jacket with a permanently attached hood. A couple of 'Gamefairs' - 3/4 length, lined, I don't remember the early ones having handwarmer pockets but I could be mistaken. There was a 'Solway Zipper' - VERY heavyweight material, brown, stood up by itself!. A 'Northumbria' that I don't remember much about at all. I presently have a Beaufort and whatever the new model of the Gamfair is called - but they seldom get any use here in Texas, Ciao!

MP

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Barbour makes great products, but I get the sense they're one of those companies that is happy to revise its history to suit current marketing objectives.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
In the late 80's I was in Ireland and noticed that waxed jackets were by far the most commonly used garment for rainy days. So I finally got one, though they seemed awfully ugly to me. :eusa_doh:
I did my research and learn about Barbour. Found a catalogue of their products and there they were about eight or ten different models (I can't remember). A few of them were those stated in the preceding posts (Bedale, Beaufort, Northumbria,... ) I went for a Northumbria,but the seller redirected me to its sister lighter-weight model, considering the Northumbria was way too warm for Irish or Spanish climate. I can't remember the model, but its disctintive features were length +3/4, lower portion (i.e.:what exceded of 3/4) lined with waterproof nylon, 2 detachable interior waterproofed pockets (presumaly to store game), hand warmer, bellow pockets, cotton linning (opposite to the North. which was woolen lined).
I used and abused it as an outdoors working garment, so much that today I can`t wear it without being mistaken for a beggar or a tramp.
Funny enough, in the last years those garments have become a fashionable item, worn by urban people even (or mostly) on warm sunny days as a sort of "elegant" overcoat to go shopping or on bussiness.[huh]
ogrove_24abr1990.jpg

Thats me some years ago on one of these days of field work on a Galician beach (Northwest of Spain), note the soaked jeans (bad idea) caused by overflowed wellies

Last edited:

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I had a 'Solway Zipper' very early 80's followed by a "Border" which I still have (at least 24-5 years old - getting on a bit) and I have a Durham which I keep in the car. I do have a quilted shooting gilet also Barbour and again 27 years old but in poor health I am afraid.

I did have a second hand waxed motorcylce jacket early 80's but I cannot remember if it was Barbour or Belstaff.

Would like to hear the full history of the jackets though.

Hal

Practically Family
...note the soaked jeans (bad idea) caused by overflowed wellies
Just as likely to be caused by run-off from the Barbour! Jacket-length waterproofs are not much good without overtrousers, and Barbours are no exception. And the more efficiently waterproof the jacket is, the worse this problem is also.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Last edited:

Flightengineer

Practically Family
I have the same question. I got from my father Border, I want to ask if anyone tried to wash Barbour wax jackets (in a washing machine) or try to dry cleaned (yes, I know that Barbour does not allow it, and all the same?)

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
In the late 80's I was in Ireland and noticed that waxed jackets were by far the most commonly used garment for rainy days. So I finally got one, though they seemed awfully ugly to me. :eusa_doh:
I did my research and learn about Barbour. Found a catalogue of their products and there they were about eight or ten different models (I can't remember). A few of them were those stated in the preceding posts (Bedale, Beaufort, Northumbria,... ) I went for a Northumbria,but the seller redirected me to its sister lighter-weight model, considering the Northumbria was way too warm for Irish or Spanish climate. I can't remember the model, but its disctintive features were length +3/4, lower portion (i.e.:what exceded of 3/4) lined with waterproof nylon, 2 detachable interior waterproofed pockets (presumaly to store game), hand warmer, bellow pockets, cotton linning (opposite to the North. which was woolen lined).
I used and abused it as an outdoors working garment, so much that today I can`t wear it without being mistaken for a beggar or a tramp.
Funny enough, in the last years those garments have become a fashionable item, worn by urban people even (or mostly) on warm sunny days as a sort of "elegant" overcoat to go shopping or on bussiness.[huh]
ogrove_24abr1990.jpg

Thats me some years ago on one of these days of field work on a Galician beach (Northwest of Spain), note the soaked jeans (bad idea) caused by overflowed wellies
Your jacket was probably a Border ,as described in the Ebay guide
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Vintage-Barbour-Wax-Jackets-their-Accessories-/10000000175942168/g.html

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
That would be my father.. lol

Did anyone ever succesfully wash the jacket (in a washing machine) or had it dry cleaned without ruining it?

As for the history, I found this interesting links:
http://www.barbour.com/us/barbour-history
http://www.barbour.com/all-about-wax
I still have an ancient Border which I successfully washed in the bath in lukewarm soapy water.The lining needed it more than the outer cotton shell which by that time was full of holes and covered with leather patches so there was really nothing to lose.

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
I have a Moreland that is over 25 years old and in very good condition. I bought it by leaving my credit card number on an answer machine in a shop in England. I also have the liner for it. It came with a tin to re wax it. I've never done it and did wear it a lot for shooting years ago. I could probably reproof it myself. I wonder what the cost would be, to have it done professionally. Mine doesn't need any repairs, and isn't crying for wax. I know I paid between $2-300.00 for it years ago. The quality is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I have the same question. I got from my father Border, I want to ask if anyone tried to wash Barbour wax jackets (in a washing machine) or try to dry cleaned (yes, I know that Barbour does not allow it, and all the same?)

I'd expect it to survive but if its a warm wash it then it will wash all the wax out of it.

I recently picked up a pretty dirty Bedale that was more dirt than wax. I washed it off with warm soapy water and eventually stuck it into a warm bath. It came out fine though it needs waxing now as hot water does remove the wax.

Rewaxing is pretty strightforward and there isn't much that can go wrong, I've found for me its best done on a hot day in the summer outdoors. I had a twenty or so year old Border and that looked like new once it was redone.

I think places were charging around £40-50 for rewaxing last time I read a thread on it.

Gav

Practically Family
Barbour do re waxing and repairs. I think re waxing is £30 inc shipping in the U.K.
Doing it yourself is fairly straightforward, a hairdryer to melt the wax in, a good even coverage, and don't over do it

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Dear l0filectronic,
Can you show this Bedale photo after washing?
Was removed only the dirt or wax too?
Thank you for your answers!

wdw

One Too Many
With regard to re-waxing, I bought a couple of second hand Barbours recently and rewaxed them myself. One tin per jacket at £10/tin. It was messy, but took about an hour and the jackets were dry in a couple of days.

Apparently it takes 6 weeks or so if you send them to Barbour.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
That would be my father.. lol

Did anyone ever succesfully wash the jacket (in a washing machine) or had it dry cleaned without ruining it?

As for the history, I found this interesting links:
http://www.barbour.com/us/barbour-history
http://www.barbour.com/all-about-wax
I sent mine to dry cleaning after many years of use and re-waxing, and I got it completely ruined, some threads became very fragile as well as the fabric at worn areas. The job was done by a dry cleaner that advertised as "barbour (like) cleaners" although they warned me about the possible bad results so I took the risk and lost the bet. No one to blame but me

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
I know that Nordstrom's sells Barbour, as well as other high end fashion items for the well to do. Their customer service is excellent. I wonder if they have a source to reproof. There are also some high end stores that sell the brand. My guess is that they provide the service, for very very particular clientele. The kind that wear the jacket as a fashion statement only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPD

New in Town
Just spent two hours this weekend re-proofing my Vintage Beaufort (1992)

Before re-proofing

image.jpeg

After picture:
image.jpeg

I think this was the first time it was waxed since purchased. I picked it up used from an add in the classified site for $120. been wearing it since beginning of March and love it.

I watched a couple utube videos to see how to re-proof a Barbour and it was easier than i taught. So much so that unless you need repairs, I recommend DYI vice paying over $60 with shipping to get done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112