Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

GrrlFriday

New in Town
moussemaker said:
I just found this picture on tumblr :eusa_clap

tumblrl1zihm4fyo1qzi2t4.jpg

I just saw the colorblocked suit on an extra in the movie "Night and Day" with Cary Grant. It was in the rehearsal scene on the big suburban lawn.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
MagsRags said:
I bought a vintage inspired White Stag swimsuit a few weeks ago at one of my usual haunts, unworn. It's totally cute, black, with halter neck, wrapped at he bust and sideseam shirring. When I got home, I did a little online googling and was shocked to find it at walmart.com for $30!
0009661115024_215X215.jpg

They're not available right now, maybe out of stock? But keep an eye out. I'm sure happy with mine. I'd say they run true to size.

I was just coming on here to tell you gals about this suit! Beautiful, I feel fabulous in it. Mine is black, though! The only problem I have is it's a liiitttlee tight (I bought one size too small, oops!) and I have a hard time with support. I have to tie it very tight around my neck (I usually do, so don't let that put you off of it!). It's beautiful and I get plenty of compliments in it. :)

MagsRags said:
I bought a vintage inspired White Stag swimsuit a few weeks ago at one of my usual haunts, unworn. It's totally cute, black, with halter neck, wrapped at he bust and sideseam shirring. When I got home, I did a little online googling and was shocked to find it at walmart.com for $30!
0009661115024_215X215.jpg

They're not available right now, maybe out of stock? But keep an eye out. I'm sure happy with mine. I'd say they run true to size.

These are available on the site now. I just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up!

clubwitsend

Practically Family
I wanted to recommend looking for Rose Marie Reid suits on ebay! I'm wearing one on the right here (with a belt for this pinup photo event I was at), but the styling and construction is fantastic...and ebay tends to have a good number of her suits from the 50s at any given time. Sometimes there's a bargain floating out there!

4744981872_8a29edf8dc_b.jpg

ohairas : that is an AMAZING photo!! so sweet!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I posted some bathing suit pictures from a 1938 catalog on my blog yesterday. :D The pics are huge, so you can blow them up and read them- click on the pics for a hi res copy.

Regarding Rose Marie Reid, I asked my great aunt how she met her husband, and she said she was laying on the beach in Santa Monica in a gorgeous illusion lace style Rose Marie Reid suit she paid a lot of money for. He was walking on the beach and nearly tripped over her, but ended up giving him her phone number. hehe. She said the suit worked.

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Lauren said:
I posted some bathing suit pictures from a 1938 catalog on my blog yesterday. :D The pics are huge, so you can blow them up and read them- click on the pics for a hi res copy.

Regarding Rose Marie Reid, I asked my great aunt how she met her husband, and she said she was laying on the beach in Santa Monica in a gorgeous illusion lace style Rose Marie Reid suit she paid a lot of money for. He was walking on the beach and nearly tripped over her, but ended up giving him her phone number. hehe. She said the suit worked.

What a cute story! And I don't doubt it! Those suits are really built to flatter!!

NicoleAnn

Familiar Face
Dying a swimsuit?

I bought such a cute union made swimsuit at the thrift store today
but I hate the neon color and flowers all over it
would dying a swimsuit work? or will the fabric not take
like if I used black rit dye..
the suit is 85% Nylon
and 15% Lycra

zendy

A-List Customer
I don't think rit is good for those materials. If you love the suit and have some sewing skills, you can draft a pattern from it in the fabric of your choice!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I don't think nylon takes dye! For example, I recently dyed some cotton undies, and the cotton took the dye beautifully, but the nylon thread stayed white and the elastic at the waist turned orange. It sort of looks deliberate, but it isn't something I would risk on a swimsuit I liked!

SheBear74

Practically Family
What about that fabric paint? Not sure how it would turn out, but I've seen it at Joann's, says you can use it on stretch fabrics.

NicoleAnn

Familiar Face
Yeah, and I think the dye would bleed if I went in a hot tub so thats probably a bad idea.
I guess I could try making a pattern, but what about the built in bra?

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Nylon actually takes dye really well - especially if you use 'acid dyes' (dyes that are designed to be used with vinegar and are also good for dyeing wool and silk - which is the opposite of dyes that do well on cotton).

I bet the threads that didn't take on your undies, Puzzicato, were polyester not nylon, which is really hard to dye. There are some new dyes (iDye) that are designed for polyester blends that are promising.

Lycra/Spandex also doesn't dye well but nylon/lycra blends are usually ok since the proportion of nylon is large enough.

That said, I doubt you would ever get good results on a suit made from a print, NicoleAnn. The printed flowers would always look different from the background material, and yeah, the dye might bleed when wet (though acid dyes are much more wash-fast than Rit and another grocery store dyes).

Fabric paint would be difficult to use on stretch fabric since paint (by definition) sits on top of the fabric. Though there are some paints designed to be used on stretchy fabric, those would be better for adding embellishment rather than covering up large areas.

I would think it's either best to learn to love your neon suit or draft a pattern from it. Though if you aren't going to wear it, and it wasn't a big investment, it might be fun/educational to see what happens when you try dyeing it.

And if you're going to be serious about trying to dye it, I would get an Acid Dye and wouldn't use Rit. (You can sometimes find fabric dyes at art supply stores, also quilting/weaving places, and lots online like at DharmaTrading.com)

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
I found this really cute vintage 50's suit at an antique mall for $15! There wasn't any place for me to try it on but I bought it any way and crossed my fingers. It's just a tad big in the tummy area but not really that bad at all and hard to tell!

4805643701_bbea2b5474_z.jpg

I also have these two play suits/swim suits that I got from goodwill the other year.
swim2.jpg

swim1.jpg

NicoleAnn

Familiar Face
hmm, that really helped my decision Magpie
thank you.
i DO wear it, so im going to have to learn to like it.
i dont really want to take the risk.
and i guess i could always buy another suit with the color i want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21