Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage beauty tips for when time and money are scarce?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So I got the hot sticks to NOT fall out. I saw a YOUtube video in which a woman did her hair damp with a bunch of hairspray. So the hot sticks didn't fall out. But the curl fell out in a half an hour after I took the hot sticks out into barely there waves. (I waited for my hair to dry.) This is frustrating to me, because it is not like my hair doesn't want to curl- I got 5 days out of my last wet set by leaving it fluffy the first day, and on the sixth day I had beautiful waves that I wore in a scarf. Maybe my hair only sets with water?

I remember my curling iron and my hair not getting along in high school, so perhaps my hair doesn't curl with heat.

I have one last thing to try: setting lotion on dry hair and hot sticks. Then I will move onto steam rollers.

I guess what I need to do is at least set my bangs in a wet set when I feel lazy. I was looking for something to do in the morning when I am too tired the night before... but setting my bangs isn't that much. But it would be nice to have something I can do besides just that.

St. Louis

Practically Family
Sheeplady, have you ever tried rag curlers just in front? I used those in high school and found them quite comfortable and appealingly silly. You just cut a few pieces of fabric from scraps, roughly 3 inches wide and about 8 inches long. Wet down your bangs, put on a little setting lotion, and curl them up with the rags. Tie the ends in a single bow-knot. In the morning your bangs will be curled & should stay that way for days.

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
I have one last thing to try: setting lotion on dry hair and hot sticks. Then I will move onto steam rollers.

I guess what I need to do is at least set my bangs in a wet set when I feel lazy. I was looking for something to do in the morning when I am too tired the night before... but setting my bangs isn't that much. But it would be nice to have something I can do besides just that.

What I sometimes do (albeit usually on pre-curled hair to freshen up a set, I'm not sure how well this would work on unset hair) is to pincurl dry, pat a little bit of water onto the curls, wear a shower cap for five minutes and then let the set dry again. The high humidity and body heat under the shower cap make the water penetrate the set fast and thoroughly, but it still takes much less time to dry afterwards than a regular wet set. Depending on how much time you have in the morning you could try to see with how little water you can get away with and how long it'd take to dry. I've never tried steam rollers but I'd expect the time and result to be similar.

glittergalaxie

New in Town
I have found the best thing for curls for me! I have baby fine hair (and not a ton of it) curling irons work ok but don't last long, regular curlers are too heavy for my tiny hair. There is a product called "Wrap Snap N' Go", that I got at a Walgreens for about $9.99. They are essentially like rag rollers but padded and with a snap. I don't have to use any setting lotion and just put them on damp hair. I get awesome tight curls that can be brushed out. Unless I'm going for the clown fro look.

I use them for up do's sometimes instead of clips actually, so they are multi purpose!

Frk.W

New in Town
That neck roll with a rat + combs or, if I can be bothered, some sort of large pincurl or roll do around the face is my go-to hair for 3d to 5th day pincurl sets, bad hair days and bad weather. Neat, practical, looks allright, if not amazing. I should practice doing different updos more, though.

Sheeplady - this is a very simple sort of faux-bang roll that might be worth trying, to get a short middy to at least do something interesting. I am not good with the more complex ways of doing faux bangs and forehead rolls at all, but this one really is very easy to do. http://bobbypinblog.com/2009/02/my-happy-pomp.html

Annie B

New in Town
I can sew luckily, so will have to dig out my sewing machine etc. Will have to look around for cheap fabric and a simple pattern - if any UK members know places to get cheap fabric that'd be great.

The shoe suggestions are great, I have problems with my back, hips and knees so flats are essential nowadays.

And I love those collars, such a simple idea and look pretty easy to make myself.

I'm pretty happy with anything from the 20's to the 50's tbh, though 40's/early 50's stuff seems to suit me best.

For hair I've been thinking about doing a wet set at night as mornings are the most hectic, but have always used hot rollers in the morning so unsure which type of curlers would be best for overnight?
I think about this often too! I have quite a collection of pictures of everyday people of the 40s for reference and inspiration. After all, they had families and busy lives too! I've found oxford shoes, A-line or pencil skirt and a blouse or sweater suits most days and is quick! I've found pin curls or rag curls the easiest to sleep on. Cheap too! I set my hair every 3 days or so. The second or third day I use a bit of dry shampoo (cornstarch and cocoa powder) at the temples to deal with the oil. I pin the sides up with combs and bobby pins (maybe 2-3 minutes, including combing it out). A bad hair day can be dealt with by a snood or silk or cotton scarf tied attractively over the hair. My daily makeup takes maybe 3 minutes. Brown brow pencil/eyeliner, touch of lip stain and a tiny bit on the cheeks,and cover-up for spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ