Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Black Fedoras

1930s Borsalino

n768896892_1497997_7568734.jpg

hatted

One of the Regulars
What I generally see is either black homburgs, or hats with really wide ribbons and tiny brims. I don't want those. I've always seen those as 'old men's' hats -- it takes less effort to care for them, or whatever (and I always seem to see them on senior citizens). Wide ribbon+tiny brim+black is just a bad combination to my eye. I'm sure some of you out there will disagree, but that's my take.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
From what I've seen over the years is that 99% of the vintage black hats that are available are derbies and top hats. Very few people wore black "soft" hats. The popular colors back then were light gray , beige and similar colors. Even the religious hat market did not start to wear black until 30 years ago. I have two or three black vintage hats from the 1930's . Thats it.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

hatted

One of the Regulars
Hey Steven, since you're at Bencraft, I have a question: How the heck did the brims get so wide on "religious" Borsalino fedoras? I've never measured, but the brims seem to be running 4 or 5 inches (more?). They're just too wide -- fedoras masquerading as cowboy hats.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Hatted, the brims started to get wider during the late 1980's. At that point , the average brim was 2 3/4 " . Today, it is 3 3/4" !!! BUt it seems to be getting smaller lately. However , black is still the number one color in Brooklyn.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
Lefty, that isn't an 1898 bicycle over on the left.
That was my first thought, too. The drop handle bars seem
particularly anachronistic. But who knows.

hatted, please do not post "live" auctions.

My vintage Black Open Road

The original ribbon is gone so I went to Major Moore for a 2 ply ribbon. I also have 2 red thin ribbons to use when football season gets here & I go to the UGA games = Go Dawgs!
BlackORblack.jpg

(the red is deeper red than photos are showing)
BlackORred1.jpg

BlackORred2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana