Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage (c.1910-1920) Unblocked Panama Hat

Warbaby

One Too Many
When I first joined the lounge last fall, I posted a query about this vintage unblocked Panama (625 WPI) - should I have it turned into a hat or keep it as is?

Art Fawcett suggested, "...please...don't touch it!!! What you have right now is of more interest and historical value than if you had a hat made from it. Panama's are easy to get thanks to PanamaBob, but this is "something different".

I've thought about it and I agree with Art - I can't bring myself to hatilize it. But I'm a user of vintage stuff, not a collector, so I'm putting it up for sale or trade. I have no idea of its value and don't want to put it on eBay, so I'm open to offers - either cash (of which I am always in short supply) or trade (I already have Too Much Stuff, but I'll consider a trade if it's something cool that I can use).

PanamaHat1.jpg

PanamaHat3.jpg

PanamaHat4.jpg

GWD

One Too Many
I, like you would get much more enjoyment out of it if it were a wearable item. It's tempting to make you an offer and "hat" it in secret.

But I can respect it's historical value and won't. Good luck!

Warbaby

One Too Many
Since the hat is completely unshaped, there's no telling where the band would go since it would depend on the brim width. In any event, I'd prefer to see the hat go to someone who'd keep it as it is, rather than have it made into a hat.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
Since the hat is completely unshaped, there's no telling where the band would go since it would depend on the brim width. In any event, I'd prefer to see the hat go to someone who'd keep it as it is, rather than have it made into a hat.

Okay but then you might have to put it in the PanamaBob Authentic Montecristi Memorial Museum..:D [huh]

JEEP

Practically Family
I would really like to add this one to my collection - I too believe it should be left as it is.

But, I am quite out of funds et the time being. I do have a lot of neat stuff though - is there anything in particular you might be interested in?

/Jakob

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Gee, what an amazing thing...I agree with Art, this needs to be kept as an artifact. I wonder if any museum might have an interest in it, or if they are perchance more common than I suppose. From the looks of the pamphlet accompanying it, turn of the century or a bit later.

No offer from me but I wish you luck in getting it to an appreciative home. Thanks for letting us see this!

- Bill

DerMann

Practically Family
[Indiana Jones Mode]
IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM

*takes punch to face*
[/Indiana Jones Mode]

In all seriousness, it is an artifact of the hat industry, and as such, it ought to be preserved.

Warbaby

One Too Many
*bump*

I can't believe no one has jumped on this rarity yet. Several loungers have expressed an interest, but no offers. C'mon guys, surely there's a Panama hat collector among you who absolutely must have this hat.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah Warbaby you handsome guy you, I'll figure out something to trade with you. Let's smooze and end your suffering.

Just too cool to be made into a hat.

Vintage Betty, endless collector of useless things. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21