Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Dictator.jpg

1928 Studebaker.
1928 Studebaker Dictator Series GE Six Sport Roadster, a rakish machine of the late-vintage era. The scene was situated in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, USA.
The Studebaker tourer is of course very interesting, but equally so is the building in the background, a roadside gas (petrol) station, complete with various old-style, and very tall, pumps. The pump to the right of shot towers over the Stude, and resembles the outline of a lighthouse, while a smaller pump beyond the car has a globe on top. Two more imposing gas pumps can also be seen to the left, just beyond the car's radiator mascot.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Charles Nash was head of the Buick company before he left to strike out on his own. He bought the Jeffery car company and renamed it Nash. His cars did resemble Buicks including the overhead valve engines. Later straight eight Nash Ambassadors were larger and quite expensive. But Nash also made smaller six cylinder flathead models. All were solidly in the medium priced field.

Nash cars were of excellent quality, up to the minute in design and offered value for money. But they seem to have had little to excite car collectors or historians.

Not to quibble but I am pretty sure the car is the larger Advanced Six. Notice the length of body behind the roof. You can even see the chrome strips between the roof and rumble seat.

Last edited:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Again, thanks for all the insight. Ot might help my friend identify the owner of the car.

Around here, some people long gone are still remembered for the kind of car they drove. I ran into a man in his late 90s a couple years ago that remembered my Granddad. Now, my Granddad died in 1932 (the man who remembered him would have been around 10 years old when my Granddad died). As I was talking to him, he said "I remember your grandfather drove a big four door Oldsmobile." In fact, my Granddad was driving a 1927 Oldsmobile four-door sedan at the time of his death. Apparently, that car itself was enough to cause a 10 year old boy remember.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
All the above lug talk reminds me of something I think about and amazed by all the time: life has so much complexity and variance that documenting it all accurately is a monumental task.

While none of us are probably surprised by that - as we live it daly - when you step back from the statement it almost seems odd. Doing is much harder and more complex than just documenting, but sometimes it seems that humans are better doers than documenters.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
It is very possible. If you look at the picture of the sedan, you will see it has 4-lug wheels. Note, the brochure is for a 1925 Nash Ajax Six.

http://www.autolit.com/Store/1925-1926-nash-ajax-six-sales-brochure.html

View attachment 106918

So apparently, there were different lug pattern wheels available at least for that year.

The Advanced Six used six bolt wheels inn1924,25and 26, wheels which were shared with many cars, including the short wheelbase Packard Six.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Fading Fast,I agree doing is much harder.

And I believe it was motivation that made me take a empty canvas and create from memory an image of my mother's home which she loved so much but had no photos of the place. She treasured so much she had it hanging
in her living room. Sadly, it now hangs
in my home.

And I'm glad that the guy with the Brownie stood on the side of the car.
Otherwise, we wouldn't be here exchanging ideas, images and
information with one another.
I'm having a grand time with all of
you guys! :)

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Ajax was a low priced companion car to Nash and was later renamed the Nash Light Six. It was a six cylinder car on a 108" wheelbase selling just above the low priced 4 cylinder cars like Chevrolet and Dodge. Then they had the larger more powerful 112" wheelbase Special Six and top of the range, also a six cylinder car but with overhead valve engine and a 127" wheelbase the Advanced Six.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Ajax was a low priced companion car to Nash and was later renamed the Nash Light Six. It was a six cylinder car on a 108" wheelbase selling just above the low priced 4 cylinder cars like Chevrolet and Dodge. Then they had the larger more powerful 112" wheelbase Special Six and top of the range, also a six cylinder car but with overhead valve engine and a 127" wheelbase the Advanced Six.

I recall that the Advanced Six and the Special Six used Nash- built engines. Didn't the Ajax use a bought-in engine, something like a Continental Gold Seal Six?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
All the above lug talk reminds me of something I think about and amazed by all the time: life has so much complexity and variance that documenting it all accurately is a monumental task.
Have you ever heard of the seventeenth century English Diarist, Samuel Pepys? He did just that, over, I think it was a two year period. Click on the link and you will learn more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points