• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Vintage cars, golden era photo shoots

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by chanteuseCarey, May 18, 2010.

1. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

The Daylight

I see now, they are new! Actually, I have been as close as you can get without being under the train. For the Eisenhower centennial in ABILENE, KANSAS, we first chased the Southern Pacific Daylight steam train with a squadron of WWII airplanes. Then after we landed, we were taken to the depot in the back of a DUKW. We stood at attention close enough to reach out and touch her if we wanted to, as the Daylight, full of WWII veterans pulled in to the station! Every one was either dressed in WWII cloths or their best I Like Ike 50s outfits, we were in our Ike Jackets naturally.

2. Wow, the Daylight... A childhood favorite of mine... still a lovely train and always will be!

Neat story, I enjoyed it!

3. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

I should add one more thing, even though I am not into trains, if they ever get one of the Big Boys 4-8-8-4 running I will make a special trip to see it! Preferably climbing a grade at speed!

4. GHT

GHT My Mail is Forwarded Here

Some of you have been most complimentary about my old MG. In fact some of you have owned an MG and some of you would like to. Well I can tell you this, you're in good company.
    hrh mg.jpg Philip enjoys driving and does it fast! He has his own tiny M.G which he is very proud of – he has taken me about in it, once up to London, which was great fun. The then Princess Elizabeth, in 1947

5. sola fide

sola fide One of the Regulars

Recent pics of my 38 Town Sedan as I'm washing her. She sat the garage for two years, but finally have her on the road.

IMG_4974.JPG IMG_4816.JPG

tonyb and BobHufford like this.
  6. GHT

Fab-u-lous! I love the car and I love the colour. How I would like to say that this is our car, sadly not, but it is a contemporary of your's. One that's crossed the pond(note which side the steering wheel is,) and is now garaged at a very good friend of ours. (The lady is my wife, Tina.)

422746836.JPG 422746839.JPG 422746840.JPG

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Zombie_61, sola fide and BobHufford like this.
  7. sola fide

sola fide One of the Regulars

Wow, very nice

8. GHT

The amount of admirers for MG cars knows no bounds.
    mg tattoo.jpg

9. 1930artdeco

1930artdeco A-List Customer

I was lucky enough to go to the Concourse De Elegance this year in Monterey, CA. Besides drooling at all of the cars I fell in love with ......

Mike

Attached Files:

10. GHT

It's easy to see why you fell in love with that beauty. Hope I'm not going to make an ass of myself here, but is that a Cadillac? It certainly looks like one. Tell me though, from what I can see, there's only one occupant in the car and he's not on the side I would have expected. Is it right hand drive?

11. 1930artdeco

1930artdeco A-List Customer

GHT, that is a mid 30's Packard touring car. I ended up helping a gentleman replace his wheel after it fell off after our Gatsby event in Oakland. That wheel tire combo weighs more than two of my Model A wheels-or at least it felt like it. It is left hand drive, just hard to see the driver.

Mike

12. GHT

Good grief, I really should have known that.
    packard.jpg

Now you will understand my love of the MG. In the 1930's they came up with a system that they called 'The Jackall.' It meant jacking all the wheels up. There was also a way of jacking up a single wheel, a pair of wheels or all four wheels. You simply turn a dial in the jackall box, insert the cranking handle and turn.
    jackall.jpg [/QUOTE]