Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Concealed Weapons

NYC Firearms Permits

I have read most of the threads on concealed carry,I do not see any people from NYC posting on concealed carry.I seems most all live in "Gun Friendly" states.What would you people do if you lived in NYC and travelled the subway systems everyday.Do you know what a permit costs in NYC for a pistol ,just to keep in your home that is, never mind carry about 350.00!!In upstate ny the pistol permits are not a problem,my mom has a concealed permit that cost her 40 bucks for life.But there is no need to carry in these small towns,the crime rate is so low.The NRA does nothing for NYC residents!If I lived in a small town the need to carry a pistol around is just plain DUMB....I would like to see some of the hillbillies travel through Bed Sty,or Brownsville without their little pistols,they would wet their pants...............

norton

One of the Regulars
bburtner@moran said:
I have read most of the threads on concealed carry,I do not see any people from NYC posting on concealed carry.I seems most all live in "Gun Friendly" states.What would you people do if you lived in NYC and travelled the subway systems everyday.Do you know what a permit costs in NYC for a pistol ,just to keep in your home that is, never mind carry about 350.00!!In upstate ny the pistol permits are not a problem,my mom has a concealed permit that cost her 40 bucks for life.But there is no need to carry in these small towns,the crime rate is so low.The NRA does nothing for NYC residents!If I lived in a small town the need to carry a pistol around is just plain DUMB....I would like to see some of the hillbillies travel through Bed Sty,or Brownsville without their little pistols,they would wet their pants...............

But why would anybody choose to go to New York city, let alone live there? I can see if you were born there and didn't know any better, or if you couldn't afford to move out, but move there? No way!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A reminder for folks new to Lounge gun threads.

We can talk about the arms, equipment and related activities here but not the politics (or details on terminal effects).

Politics, and firearm's politics in particular, is one of those hot-button issues that can easily raise hackles and divide a board.

"MK", the owner here, and his appointed Mods have been generous in not simply avoiding potential problems by declaring all firearms posts off-topic.

We need to respect that by saving political discussions for another venue.

Feraud

Bartender
norton said:
But why would anybody choose to go to New York city, let alone live there? I can see if you were born there and didn't know any better, or if you couldn't afford to move out, but move there? No way!
And have you been to my city and can tell us firsthand of the horrors you experience or just talking out your a$$? :rolleyes:

Torpedo

One Too Many
Thank you both for the suggestions!

1911, I wonder why are shoulder holsters not allowed in your department?

Here we have no restrictions. In fact, depending on the budget, some classes get an undercover holster in addition to the one you wear when in uniform, and some do not (For instance, In my year, we did not, I just got an old-fashioned leather flapped holster, which has been long superseded by fast extraction plastic models - I have been working for a number of years in plainclothes, so I never received nor asked for a more modern style). If you get assigned to a plainclothes unit, you can buy whatever you find more convenient, even if you were actually issued a concealed holster.

As far as undercover/concealed holsters are concerned, belt styles, either outside or inside types, are largely prevalent; but you can use a shoulder holster if you prefer.

Regards!

carebear

Many police agencies don't like shoulder rigs due to retention concerns and, with the horizontal models, that the muzzle can sweep others ont eh draw. I think that's driven more by perception of a problem and visions of liability dancing in heads than a real problem.

Bianchi's X-15 holster is a vertical rig designed in the early '60s that is based on classic spring clip designs. It's worth a look.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
MY kind of concealed weapon ;)
CANE-SWORD-RATTAN.jpg

But just jumping in here...I've always wondered how accurate guns like this are
chicago_movie.jpg

can they really shoot straight and be that affective being that small? I know they're easily concealed though lol

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
I think those are .38 or .38 Special Detective Models they are a type of last resort personal defense weapon based on close distances the average is 25 yards but in the hands of an experienced shooter can reach out a bit more...not much tho.

Caity Lynn said:
But just jumping in here...I've always wondered how accurate guns like this are? Can they really shoot straight and be that affective being that small? I know they're easily concealed though lol
I think the ladies are holding snub nose revolvers. Snubbies run the gamet as to accuracy. The big names like S&W, Colt, Ruger and Taurus tend to have fairly accurate guns. Occasionally some can come up that are not. The cylinder and barrel alignment has to be right that action not sloppy and the barrel in good condition. Also damage to the crown of the barrel will make for flyers. Guns that were amatuer cutdowns and derringers are notoriously inaccurate, they are given the term "belly gun" because to insure your hits you'd have to practically stick it in the adversary's belly. These guns are noted by shooting at an indoor range and as the distance gets further you will see the bullet has not gone thru straight on but spun sideways creating a bullet hole in the paper that is reffered to as a "keyhole."

I have heard that the Ruger SP101 is well liked and most are pretty accurate, enough so that some detectives will run the qualifying course with them and pass easily.

Still Snubbies are coinsidered a close quarters gun not for shooting the bad guy's gun out of his hand at a hundred feet. (Especially while both he and you are running.)

up196

A-List Customer
Snub Nose Revolver accuracy

Short barreled revolvers, or "snubbies," are no more or no less intrinsically accurate than any other revolver by the same manufacturer. The difference between a 2" and a 4" or 6" revolver is that the longer barrel provides a longer sight radius and is therefore easier to shoot accurately, since the longer sight radius is more "forgiving" about slight sight mis-alignments than is the case with a 2" gun.

I have a 2" Colt's Detective Special that I carry at work and routinely qualify with it on a 25 yard course, firing double action only. Ditto with a 2" S&W Bodyguard. If I do my part, they will put the projectiles where they need to go as easily as a 6" target revolver.

Torpedo

One Too Many
carebear said:
Many police agencies don't like shoulder rigs due to retention concerns and, with the horizontal models, that the muzzle can sweep others ont eh draw. I think that's driven more by perception of a problem and visions of liability dancing in heads than a real problem.

Bianchi's X-15 holster is a vertical rig designed in the early '60s that is based on classic spring clip designs. It's worth a look.

It makes sense, at least the accidental shooting hazard with horizontal suspension models, although I agree it is probably magnified.

Torpedo

One Too Many
GranadaGuy617 said:
Whats more correct for a vintage shoulder shoulder vertical or horizontal?

I believe the horizontal suspension styles to be quite recent, but I hope a more informed lounger chimes in. Certainly weapons compact enough for such a rig have been around for many years.

There were variations on the vertical suspension, like that which holds the gun butt down. Steve McQueen wears one, with a short-barrelled revolver, in Bullitt; reportedly he copied it from the real police detective he based the character on, Dave Toschi.

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Torpedo said:
I believe the horizontal suspension styles to be quite recent, but I hope a more informed lounger chimes in. Certainly weapons compact enough for such a rig have been around for many years.

There were variations on the vertical suspension, like that which holds the gun butt down. Steve McQueen wears one, with a short-barrelled revolver, in Bullitt; reportedly he copied it from the real police detective he based the character on, Dave Toschi.

Sounds like Galco takes credit for the horizontal shoulder rig in 1969 or at least popularizing it.

http://www.usgalco.com/Marketing/Jackass.htm

I've got three or four of their holsters to and really like them.

Les

carebear

From my experience and reading and such I have to vote for horizontal being the new kid on the block in shoulder rigs.

There are even Old West vertical rigs using a cup for the muzzle and a spring clip on the cylinder that date before the turn of the century.

McQueen's upside-down holster is a Ken Null design, one of teh first plastic holsters.

http://www.klnullholsters.com/

It's the "City Slicker".

Good answer on the barrel length question up196.

Trick shooter Bob Munden has broken balloons with a stock 2" .38 out to 200 yds. Elmer Keith and Ed McGivern and a host of others could do the same. It all comes down to trigger control and proper hold-over.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Need a little help - my Google-Fu is usually good but failing me. I swear someone posted a photo of a vintage ankle holster - dyed black - made from the upper leather of an old lace up boot on a thread around here - but for the life of me, I can not find it. Anyone?

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://www.shorpy.com/concealed-weapon-1922?size=_original

http://www.shorpy.com/concealed-weapon-1922

" 'Safety first' is the motto of Miss Mary Jayne of Keith's circuit. Mary Jayne, seated in rocking chair with pistol strapped to her knee, claiming exemption from concealed weapon regulation by saying her thirty-two isn't a concealed weapon in these days of knee-length skirts." National Photo Company Collection, February 14, 1922.

Be sure to read the comments/see the additional photos in the second link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto