Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Concealed Weapons

fiddletown

New in Town
I carry whenever I legally can. I'm partial to a strong side hip holster -- inside the waistband type. My current choice is a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2.

IMG_4998_2-1.jpg

I find I can conceal my pistol quite well under a jacket or, in hot weather, a light vest. Here I am in Sedona, Arizona wearing an H&K P7M8 in a Milt Sparks VM2.

IMG_0213e-1.jpg

And here I am at class in Phoenix wearing that set up.

IMG_0296_2.jpg

IMG_0295a_2.jpg

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Papa Smurf said:
Very nice!! What model Kel-Tec is that? I have a P11 and I am looking for a shoulder rig just like that! Where did you get it?
Mine is the P11 as well. The rig, which I am quite pleased with, is the Detective Carry from Kirkpatrick Leather, although were I ordering one today I would be very tempted to get the Comfort Carry or the HD-Carry instead to avoid the strap that goes under the off-side arm. Still, a great product, well made, and a very nice price.

p51

One Too Many
I need to get a the rig on and get some photos, but I have a original 1940s shoulder holster, civilian made for a M-1911, I guess for a cop. It's a classic look and from time to time I've wanted to wear it with my WW2 war correspondent re-enacting impression, but there's no historical data to suggest anyone ever did that, so I don't.
With my Springfield WW2 pattern 1911 (with original WW2 bakelite grips) or my 1943 Remington Rand, it's certainly at home with that rig!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Can anyone recommend a good brand of the integral holster leather jackets? Or brands to avoid?

Yes, its a terrible time of year to ask. But I am stymied for summer concealed carry options so I might as well contemplate the other seasons.

Summer is just... I don't know. I don't think I can.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I meant like a leather jacket

I don't have a windbreaker that would cover that kind of massive change to body contour? I mean maybe a guy's windbreaker that's more square-cut? A shoulder holster is pretty much inherently not concealed by any standard I am used to on myself.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Richard Warren said:
I've got plenty of guns, but it still amazes me that people continue to live any place where they think there is any sort of reasonable chance they might need one for self defense.
You mean like panet Earth? lol

This isn't the place for politics, friend. Find yourself a nice gun-bashing forum and give everyone there a big hug from me.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Slim Portly said:
You mean like panet Earth? lol

This isn't the place for politics, friend. Find yourself a nice gun-bashing forum and give everyone there a big hug from me.

This isn't the place for politics. If you'd like to talk about gun related politics and non-vintage guns or holsters, find yourself a nice gun forum.

This is not a political statement it's philosophical.

As long as you have people you have the capacity for bad things to happen.

Some people acknowledge this and make preparations others prefer the bliss of ignorance.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I believe the proper room for "philosophy" is the observation bar. If you would like, you can take this tangent of the discussion over there. This thread is for vintage weapons and holsters.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
COOL Concealed GUNS

up196 said:
A 1930 vintage Colt's Detective Special (square butt) in a Lawrence #7 shoulder holster. The straps criss-cross in back, unlike more recent copies which loop around the shoulder above the holster and have a cloth strap going around the other arm and up behind the neck.

The same revolver, out, with the padded "C-clamp" for the cylinder visible.

A 1933 vintage Detective Special (first year for the round butt) with an Audley belt holster patented in 1914, having the metal trigger latch:

Same as above, illustrating how the latch catches the front of the trigger to secure the gun in the holster.

An Audley concealment holster, 1914 type, for the Colt's Pocket Hammerless.

The same as above, illustrating the belt loop. Pistol is a .380 made in 1921; ideal for meetings with Major Strasser.

Two "rear pocket" holsters, the top one is from Greenblatt's in New York, bottom one is an Audley (1907 patent) holding a .32 S&W Hand Ejector. Guns are held in place by a "lip" of leather which catches the cylinder and have to be twisted, grip toward the body, to allow drawing.

The Greenblatt holster in the pocket holding a Colt's Army Special, where it would be concealed by the suit coat or Police Uniform jacket. The slot just below the top of the holster is for a strip of leather, missing here, which would come down and attach to the button on the uniform pants.

The Colt's Army Special shown above was made in 1922. For any who are railroad buffs, it belonged to the Union Pacific Railroad.

I don't have a Berns-Martin type, but both the belt (the "Speed Draw") and shoulder models (the "Muzzle Up Shoulder Holster") are now made by Rusty Sherrick. His web site is www.c-rusty.com

Never read this thread before, but past FL member had some TERRIFIC stuff!

Solid Citizen :D

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Very nice collection!

I love the pistols, but I have to say that the gunleather you have really stands out from the typical holsters we see today!

I would love to try to reproduce some of those, but I'm not one for leatherwork.

Damn SC...those make me want to pick up some vintage shooters!!!

shortbow

Practically Family
Thanks to mod and other posters for keeping this on track. I've mostly given up on the firearms display board 'cause they haven't managed to do that over there.

I come here for refuge. If I want controversy all I have to do is open a newspaper.

Vintage, vintage, vintage.;)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
This may be a reach, since I don't know the 'vintage' of this rig, but the whole shoulder-holster thing always makes me think of the old detective movies/shows.

Scored this set-up for $27 over the weekend. It accommodates one of my Barettas plus two extra mags.

Impractical for real world use for this civilian, but dang, it was too cool to pass up! :)

DSCN2791.jpg

DSCN2801.jpg

DSCN2803.jpg

DSCN2804.jpg

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
DSCN2803.jpg

Gene, I'd ditch that silver bracelet holder and adust the pistol side up 2 holes to get that rig right for you. I'm trying to imagine how the dude that had that set-up was, cause I know you are tall. Guy must have been a bear!

SCO2177

New in Town
I guess the AE Nelson Leather Co. website came back from whatever place it was hiding out in cyberspace. I ordered on of their "Untouchables" shoulder holsters for the vintage 1931 Colt Government Model that I just purchased. When the holster shows up in 6 weeks I'll post some pictures of the set-up.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
rmrdaddy said:
Gene, I'd ditch that silver bracelet holder and adust the pistol side up 2 holes to get that rig right for you. I'm trying to imagine how the dude that had that set-up was, cause I know you are tall. Guy must have been a bear!

EXACTLY what I'd do... if I were really going to use this thing. It's a display piece. Too hot in Fla for jackets most of the time, darnit. :)

And YES to the "bear" bit. I did adjust the back strap down to fit me. It was at TWICE the length I require. :eek:

Mickey Caesar

Familiar Face
up196 said:
A 1930 vintage Colt's Detective Special (square butt) in a Lawrence #7 shoulder holster. The straps criss-cross in back, unlike more recent copies which loop around the shoulder above the holster and have a cloth strap going around the other arm and up behind the neck.

The same revolver, out, with the padded "C-clamp" for the cylinder visible.

A 1933 vintage Detective Special (first year for the round butt) with an Audley belt holster patented in 1914, having the metal trigger latch:

Same as above, illustrating how the latch catches the front of the trigger to secure the gun in the holster.

An Audley concealment holster, 1914 type, for the Colt's Pocket Hammerless.

The same as above, illustrating the belt loop. Pistol is a .380 made in 1921; ideal for meetings with Major Strasser.

Two "rear pocket" holsters, the top one is from Greenblatt's in New York, bottom one is an Audley (1907 patent) holding a .32 S&W Hand Ejector. Guns are held in place by a "lip" of leather which catches the cylinder and have to be twisted, grip toward the body, to allow drawing.

The Greenblatt holster in the pocket holding a Colt's Army Special, where it would be concealed by the suit coat or Police Uniform jacket. The slot just below the top of the holster is for a strip of leather, missing here, which would come down and attach to the button on the uniform pants.

The Colt's Army Special shown above was made in 1922. For any who are railroad buffs, it belonged to the Union Pacific Railroad.

I don't have a Berns-Martin type, but both the belt (the "Speed Draw") and shoulder models (the "Muzzle Up Shoulder Holster") are now made by Rusty Sherrick. His web site is www.c-rusty.com
That trigger latch doesnt look like it would be safe for the carrier. You'd have to put your finger awfully close to the trigger to release it. I guess the holster manufacturers back then didnt have to be as liability shy as today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto