Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cop uniforms and gear??

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Ask a retired patrolman. That's your best bet. All else fails, most police uniforms follow the pattern of military uniforms, especially in the '30s - '50s. Ike jackets were VERY popular after WWII, particularly on motorcycle cops.

One detail that most police uniforms have is the bellowed chest pockets. British uniforms have these, so if you wanted to fake it, a tropical tan British commonwealth battle dress blouse and matching pants would work. Swap the buttons, and you're pretty close. Commonwealth uniforms didn't change much from WWII on up to the '80s, so you've got plenty to work with. Dark brown or black are options for winter wear, if you're handy with a bottle of dye.

There's a '30s vintage leather police overcoat with a mouton collar here in the shop. I've had my eye on it, but it's more than I can shell out right now. It does need some reapair, as well.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vintage Police Uniforms

Here is a photo taken around 1939 or 1940 of the Emeryville Police Department. The short guy in the fedora hat and suit is my great uncle, Louis Mann, Chief of Police.

Those were the good old days. I have some more picture of their City Hall, and the patrol cars, but I have to get the scanner working.

Love the SAM BROWNE belts, and those hats and jackets!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/andykev/Emeryville.jpg

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
That is a great Pic!!

Looks like the motorcycle guys are in the front. Is that a bowtie on the one fella???

That was a brown uniform right??

And that's what they called the shoulder strap eh??

Real sharp!

Brody

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Keystone Cops??

So when did the Bulls (LEOs) stop looking like/ wearing the Keystone Cop helmets and go to the round or eight pt crushers??

I think they were wearing them in Ragtime? But I havnt seen that flick for years, so I'm not sure...

Brody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points