Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Curling Irons?

~Kate~

New in Town
I have wanted a 1920's curling iron for ages. I found one today at my favourite antique market for quite a good price. The question is, do I just display it or attempt to actually use it? I am actually really curious to try it but am worried about frying my hair. I'm also not quite sure what to heat it with. I half thought of using it in combination with my hair dryer to stop it getting too hot. Does anyone out there use vintage curling irons? Some suggestions would be great!
(Note: My hair is much too long to use it for ringlets or anything. I was planning on trying to do some waves along the top of my hair and then pinning the rest up, if I do decide to use it)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I have several 1920s crimping irons and I heated them up over the stove. I need to get the irons scalding hot before it will even begin to make waves. I have never fried my hair, but everyone's hair texture is different and only you know what that limit will be.

~Kate~

New in Town
What type of stove did you use? Where I am living at the moment has a glass cooktop and I would be hesitant to try it on that (since I'm not supposed to use cast iron pans on it either). I never use heat on my hair so this will be quite an experiment.

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
i was warned by my hairdresser that these curlers are better to just look at, he was saying they are dangerous and most likely burn your hair. i wouldn't want to burn my skin.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I have thin silky hair that can take a LOT of abuse :D Some people's hair might be weaker and these irons may not be for you. I wouldn't use it on bleached/stripped hair nor would I use them super-frequently. But once in a while my hair is 100% fine with them. And yes, I have caught my scalp before with the tongs! It's no worse than a modern curling iron catching your skin.

As I said, only you know how strong your hair is and what kind of abuse it can take ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana