Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage DB notched-lapel suit spotted

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
HOOdo VOOdo

BBVD_Photo_3.jpg

Partial early standard PR PIC of BBVD from swing fad period. I don't think they even dress like that now, more retro lounge look! Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Solid Citizen said:
Partial early standard PR PIC of BBVD from swing fad period. I don't think they even dress like that now, more retro lounge look! Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

Yup, I believe this was when Avalos was still making their suits. I could be wrong though.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I have seen ads for double breasted notched lapel suits from the 20s. Much like most today feel the Zoot Suit is the iconic image for the "swing era" they thought then that the short fad of notched lapels in the 20s someone may have felt were more common than peaked.

Maybe WB wanted to put Cagney in something a little different since in almost every one of his early films he's wearing peaked lapels on double or single breast suits.

I'm not a fan but, if an original shows up from the 20s in my size, I'd pick it up.lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
resortes805 said:
Yup, I believe this was when Avalos was still making their suits. I could be wrong though.

You're not wrong! I recall that image from a magazine (which one escapes me) while standing in a check-out line... Those are Avalos fashions... he also did a lot for Royal Crown. Big Bad isn't as "authentic" in their dress these days, they have matched more of the style of their music.:( Which isn't authentic swing either. lol Oh well, they played a big part in the popularity of the swing movement here in LA.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
I agree with you about the last picture, the 1920 one. It's those downward facing lapel points --don't know what they're called, but you see 'em a lot on double-breasted military overcoats.

In my opinion, the ones in the haberdasher vitrine look nice too.

Slobo

New in Town
Resurrecting a very old thread but what is the board's view on 1920s-40s authenticity of notched lapel DB jackets? I have a 4-button (one fastened, long roll lapel) with notched lapels that I quite like. It is contemporary and not vintage, but was wondering if it was even an acceptable possibility in 1930s-40s.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
From 1925 onwards, I really doubt it. There may be some rare cases in which this style has been shown but it weren't a "coded" style and certainly not something that average people would have worn at work or at important occasions.
I may have seen some early overcoats with that configuration, but I can't be sure whether it was original or it was a later alteration. In my opinion it never looks really flattering, though.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
I have a db jacket from the 80s with notched lapels. I like it. It's got a 50s/60s vibe to it.
I've also got a db cashmere overcoat with notched lapels I really dig.
I know 20s-early 50s are the most favorable years in the lounge but in my experience, as long as it's a good quality suit, it's more about HOW you wear it, rather than WHAT you're wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff