Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Can anyone lead me to a source for large, round, silver toned wire frames? Vintage or new. I don't care. My pair of 1990's Art Craft rounds is on their last legs. I can no longer find bows even close to the originals, and I've been reduced to soldering parts of them back together. I've been to several shops and tried to search online. I'm having no luck with finding perfectly round new frames, and I'm never quite sure of the quality I find on eBay. I'm not looking for costume glasses. They have to be made well enough to handle the rigors of everyday life.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I am looking for glasses in this style, preferably vintage. Oval Panto glasses, flat brow and keyhole, made from acetate or tortoiseshell. In a similar color or a bit darker. Any ideas where to find a pair?

full_276ec1631afd323c6988ec1e1c27ae3e.jpg

Thanks for your recommendations.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
there's a similar modern pair here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351010026738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

p.s. what's wrong with the ones in the photo you posted ?

Nice. And from Germany, no less.

The ones in the pic are not available anymore or I would have bought them right away. I like how they are a bit chunkier than most similar glasses and that the lenses are a bit narrower in relation to their height than usual.

You're welcome, Chris.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I've wore "Art-Craft Art-Rimway's" for over 30 years and was very happy with them. They're light, durable and without a frame edge to look around, my eyesight improves. I wear bi-focals and the progressive lens works very well on the "Rimway". It seems the larger size(compared to modern small lens) allows a prescription to work as intended.

My wife talked me into something more modern a few years back, an Italian made Safilo Elasta which looks very nice, is also durable although I've just never been 100% with them. I'm getting new glasses this August and I'll ether go back to the "Art-Craft Rimways" or try "Shuron Rimways" or even possibly the "Shuron P3" which I understand works well with tough prescriptions. P3's were prescribed to soldiers in WWII and were very durable. All USA made which for me is a plus. I'm anxious, if my eyes feel good, I feel good!;)
Retromoto

Last edited:

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Just had these 19th Century frames fitted with my prescription this afternoon. I will primarily use them for historic, pre 1920 wear, as they are typically small for my face, but perhaps for daily wear as well:

IMG_20140429_162430_357.jpg

bombin

Familiar Face
Question for cable temple wearers

I recently got a pair of vintage frames with cable temples (the type which wrap round the back of the ears), and I'm having a local optometrist put in my prescription lenses (still waiting to get them back as I ordered plain glass lenses).

When I was initially searching for frames I came across a site [Optometrist Attic] which sells frames, and spare cable temples and cable covers (plastic bits to wrap or melt on the back of the cable temples). His site suggests that cable temple covers greatly lengthen the life of the cable temple arms themselves (increasing their life span from a couple of years to over 10 years).

Do any cable temple users here have the covers on their cable temples?

To my eyes the covers somewhat spoil the appearance of the spectacles, so I'm rather loath to get them, but I also don't want to have to keep replacing the arms. Thoughts? (Particularly on whether the covers really improve the lifespan.)

ingineer

One Too Many
If you have the original cables and the frames are gold filled, then there should be no problem as they will last a lifetime.
If you are using modern replacement temples, then the covers are a good idea as these are only plated.
Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff