Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

rick54

New in Town
The vintage glasses that you find in antique shops etc. come with glass lenses. First, I'd like to say that glass is more optically clear than plastic, and doesn't scratch like plastic. Now the problem you'll have is that most of those frames were rimless which meant that the glass lenses were "drill mount" lenses. I can tell you this, from my extensive research on the subject, that there is no optical house in the U.S. that will do "drill mount" glass lenses. There is a liability issue here. But hope is not lost, as I've found a optical lab in Canada that will do "drill mount" glass today. It takes creative mailing,by going through a Canadian optician who then forewards your prescription and frames on to the optical house. My lenses currently are about 2+ years old. At the time I had them made, the cost was $170 U.S. and that's with a bi-focal.

Travis

Suspended
I'm looking for a pair of these:
shepherd7.jpg
No idea what they're called or where to find them. Any knowledge? Also, does anyone know what years these came to be seen? Thanks.

Edit: I'm just looking for the glasses, the suit would be cool too, but i don't need a Matt Damon.

Travis

Suspended
J. M. Stovall said:
I've seen those on Ebay, but I think Shuron still makes them new, http://www.shuron.com/.

taper_side_LG.jpg

just noticed widebrimm also posted the shuron site:)

Unlike a lot of the people on FL, I don't do the whole ebay thing, preferring actual retailers. I got burned in the past and can't afford it to happen again. But yeah, this is exactly what I'm looking for, and they have them on the Shuron site, but without a price, at least now I know what they're called and should be able to find them eventually. Thanks for the link.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Mr Ripley....Talented "Salv" look...

I remember our very own Salv in London talking about where he got his specs from. As Salv has that sharp G-Man crossed with a Rockabillie, crossed with a Mr Ripley crossed with a JFK look to him that would blow the socks off you!! And he wears the most gorgeous of vintage styled glasses of 'that ilk!'

Travis said:
I'm looking for a pair of these:
shepherd7.jpg
No idea what they're called or where to find them. Any knowledge? Also, does anyone know what years these came to be seen? Thanks.

Edit: I'm just looking for the glasses, the suit would be cool too, but i don't need a Matt Damon.

Travis

Suspended
PADDY said:
I remember our very own Salv in London talking about where he got his specs from. As Salv has that sharp G-Man crossed with a Rockabillie, crossed with a Mr Ripley crossed with a JFK look to him that would blow the socks off you!! And he wears the most gorgeous of vintage styled glasses of 'that ilk!'

Good to know. I'll drop him a PM and see if I can't get some information out of him. Thanks.

Salv

One Too Many
PADDY said:

You are too kind Paddy! I bought my specs from http://www.retro-specs.co.uk/ They're UK based but ship to the US for $10-$15. They have 6 pages of 40s and 50s style frames starting here, and these are the ones I wear
RET_G_RETRetro1TTG_b.jpg

...but these look more like what you're after
RET_G_RETMAX74_b.jpg

...or these
RET_G_RETRONSIR_CO_b.jpg

...or these
RET_G_RETRonsirEB_b.jpg

...or these
RET_G_RETRonsirMO_b.jpg

...or these
RET_G_RETRonsirTO_b.jpg

Edit: I've just followed the link for Shuron, and it looks as though all those frames from retro-specs are the Shuron frames.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm sure many many people have asked this in other threads, but where would I go to get new lenses made for a pair of vintage glasses?
could I just go to eyeglasses.com and get them to do the "make new lenses for my existing frames"?

Travis

Suspended
Dinerman said:
I'm sure many many people have asked this in other threads, but where would I go to get new lenses made for a pair of vintage glasses?
could I just go to eyeglasses.com and get them to do the "make new lenses for my existing frames"?

A good optometrist should be able to do it for you, or at least point you in the right direction.

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the feedback guys. About a month back I ordered two pairs of the Shuron's, but they were way too small for my head. Most vintage frames I try on also look foolishly small for my melon.

I'll keep trying. Someone on here gave me a great link to a speciality manufacturer in Pennsylvania, but they have no price list and will not talk prices over the phone.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I grew up with the type frames you're looking for. Hated them then, and haven't changed my mind either.;)

I find my wire rim frames in antique stores all over Tennessee, and usually they're NOS in the neighborhood of $6 to $12 a pair. My current pair date to 1936, and I have two "in the wings" as back ups if I ever need them as replacements. As an amusing observation, always do a search in small towns AWAY from high volume highways. For some reason folks who set up antique malls think their wares are worth 4+ times more than what the same item costs away from the maddening crowd, so brouse around those big antique malls along the side of the 4 lanes, but purchase in the small stores down the two lane roads. You get MUCH better stuff for little money.

Trick is, most of the old wirerims require the lenses to be drilled for mounting to the frames. Not many labs do this anymore, so before you purchase a pair, make sure your optometrist has access to a lab that can perform this procedure. Fortunately my optometrist DOES have a lab that can do this, so I'm good to go!:)

Regards! Michaelson

Earp

One of the Regulars
I Need Glasses! (Plus Introduction)

Howdy Folks!
I'm new to the lounge and have been reading the posts with great interest for the past couple of weeks. I'm so happy to find so many folks who share an interest in vintage dress and accouterments. I really like the late 1930's and the 1940's. I'm a musician who wears some kind of fedora regularly. I could go on about my vintage radio restorations, radio show collections, victrola and 78 record collections, ect. But that will come in future posts.

I'm looking forward to working up a wardrobe of 1940's vintage clothing but it may take a while. You're all so far ahead of me that it seems daunting. [huh] For now I would like to see if I could get some help with a new milestone -- I'm at the age where I need to get a pair of glasses. I got the prescription a few weeks back but I've held off the purchase because I'm hoping to get some vintage style frames. I'm looking for something from the 1930's or 1940's. I don't even know where to start to find out what the frame styles were then or where to find them now. Are there contemporary styles that would would fit the bill? Were there wire frames in the 1940's? I would sure appreciate any help.

I'm so happy I found the Fedora Lounge. I don't feel alone anymore! :)
Thanks for any advice.
--Wyatt--

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ