• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Vintage Family Photos

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by Hiram, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Hiram

Hiram New in Town

I know I saw a thread on this when I first started lurking early this week, but I'm darned if I can find it now, so forgive me for starting a new one.

Here are some photos of my family. This album is probably where I fell in love with the vintage aesthetic.

Great Uncle George auditioning for the lead in Johnny Dangerously:
    If I thought he was buried in that jacket, I'd dig the old boy right up.

Great Aunt Jane:

My grandmother, Lillian:

My dad, at 16:
    What a dufus. Why yes, he does look like Kramer. I'm lovin' the pompadour.

Lillian, Jane and George were three of five siblings. I was essentially raised by my grandmother and great aunt, which was a lot like growing up with Abby and Martha Brewster. My grandmother taught me about absinthe, chartreuse and Theda Bara before I was seven. Aunt Jane taught me about poltergeists, how to use a Ouija board, where the holy water was in the house?¢‚Ǩ‚Äùshould I ever need any?¢‚Ǩ‚Äùand how to French inhale. Sweet old birds.

Now let's see yours!

~ Hiram

P.S. I'm new here; is there a specific place where people generally introduce themselves?
  2. Lena_Horne

Lena_Horne One of the Regulars

I simply love these photographs. My family's pretty stingy with the prints and would probably have two hemmorhages apiece if I ever posted any photographs anyhow. Which is a shame, an entire suitcase full of them and I was forbidden to go downstairs and look (to be fair, it really wasn't the best time, but I knew I wouldn't back over, they live in St. Louis).

3. Hiram

Hiram New in Town

Honestly, I hate to admit it, but I had to steal our albums in order to save them.

Those who stood to inherit everything simply didn't know how to care for anything precious (think: Jerry Springer candidates). Sure enough, after the girls both passed on, they sold the (1920's) house and everything in it just to pay off credit card debts; the entire estate?¢‚Ǩ‚Äùpoof. My daughter found photos and various antique chotchkys in the trash.
  4. Lena_Horne

I'm truly sorry to hear that, my family isn't really gung ho for appreciating early twentieth century anything. I've essentially exhausted their willingness to tell anecdotes (although I do get lucky on holidays and at family gatherings) because I've asked questions about everything my entire life. But it certainly doesn't compare to selling off the estate in that fashion. Your daughter has a great eye, am very glad she found and saved those photographs.

By the way, I love your uncle's ensemble, especially the way he's wearing his tie. And they all look like such sensible, wonderful, eccentric people to have known.

5. Odd that you posted this today...

Since I was helping out with the 'scan the family pictures' project...There are absolute tons of great ones...but here are two of them that I really like..

The above one is my Grandfather, Grandmother and unknown relative or freind.....

My Grandfather again. It is my understanding that he was somewhat of a troublemaker....
  6. Lena_Horne

Troublemaking ancestors is simply a must. Great photographs.

7. Hiram,
    Those are great! I love your photos and the stories. It seems like most families didn't place much value on these treasures of the past...shame really.

Miss Neecerie, The photo of your grandfather is wonderful...I can believe that he was a bit of a troublemaker by the look. I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear a shirt/tie like that. It works on him though. Best regards, Sefton
  8. Naama

Naama Practically Family

Your father was quite a sweetie ;)

Not long ago my mother and I found an old container full of old magazines (some dating back from the late 1800) and also some old family pictures! Some even with man in Nazi uniforms..... (I wouldn't have kept them after the war....) We took them all with us, quite a found. But I just don't know how you can throw thing's like that away........
  9. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

Wasn't EVERYONE just cooler looking then?? Even regular folk looked like movie stars! I've got pictures of my grandfather, and he truly looks like one of the most handsome men you've ever seen. People just had a "look", and an attitude that can't be replicated!
  10. Swell photos everyone! I too would dig up any passed on relative if he was wearing a coat like the one first pictured! I have a dark brown double breasted coat some what like that dated 1941. I LOVE THAT COAT! I wear it lots and well, I can?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t say I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m going to tire of it.

Later, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m going to try and connect this thread with the original started earlier. They should all be together any how.

Thanks for sharing those great photos! I may share some of my others I have later.

PS. The last photo of the young man who is the trouble maker, yeah, you can tell just by the way he wears a tie with his collar open!

11. I will say in his defense...him being my grandfather and all...That they didnt wear American style suits all the time, things like church they wore Russian style shirts ( Its a long and complex story that telling here would not interest enough people )...so completely possible that their style sense is not the -norm- for the era... I do have another picture of him while a bit younger, and that one is slightly more formal, in regards to the shirt and tie.

but yes...still likely a troublemaker ;)
  12. This is my Uncle Bob and Aunt Gerry. The picture is from the invitation to there 50th anniversay a few years ago. He was a real ladies man before he met Gerry. While my cousins were snooping around the house to find something to display at the party, they found a "to do" list on my uncle's workbench. It said "1. clean the garage, 2. kiss my wife, 3. take out the trash, 4. kiss my wife, 5. wash ford, 6. kiss my wife" and so on. Needless to say, it was framed and put on the table at the party.

I hope you can use the link. I need to get another photo site. This one stinks.

This next photo is of my grandmother. She's the little one on her sister's lap. The pic was taken at Ellis Island, the day they arrived from England in 1908. One brother was cut off to her left, and 2 others didn't come over until later. One sister was born later here , too. Their parents are not in the picture. Big family, huh?

13. Barbigirl

Barbigirl Practically Family

This is a photo of my maternal grandmother Kathleen Peterson Voshall on her wedding day in January 1945 in southern California. For the ladies....Her wedding dress was a lightweight pink wool dress that my great grandmother made. I am waiting for my Mom to send the 1st anniversary photo, my grandpa is in his military uniform and they look so cute!

14. Swell photo! I like it.

15. Vanessa

Vanessa One Too Many

My dad.

16. YEAH! That's so cooool! Sweet photo there!

17. Big Man

Big Man My Mail is Forwarded Here

Ready for a picnic?

I found this picture yesterday in some old things I was going through and thought it would be interesting to members of the Lounge. This is my aunt Sara (on the left) in 1931 with a friend of hers at Women's College (now UNC-Greensboro). Their outfits are interesting, and from what I was told of my Grandfather (Sara's Dad) would have had a fit if he knew she ever had on a pair of pants. No wonder I just now found this one after all those years :)
  18. That's a really neat photo!

You know, it's a very interesting thing about pants back then. Aside from the fact that they were made better and looked better, pants used to mean something! When a young boy went to school, he wore shorts, then knickerbockers and when he entered junior high, he then graduated to long pants. It was a coming of age type of privilege. Pants meant responsibility and maturity. And for some reason, in most families and cultures, pants were not proper for women to wear. However, they did make plenty of women's styled pants at that time for sport and recreation.

19. Now when they get to junior high they get the privilege of dropping the trousers waistline a couple of inches lower. I remember when "two inches below the knee" was the exclusive domain of the ladies (at least in my school uniform) :rolleyes:

20. simmo

simmo Familiar Face

Heres an old pic of my great great grandfather (right) outside his house called the Priory.The little girl in the middle is my grandmother.

And heres a pic of his staff..the butler,the gardener,the cook and the housemaid . !!! Wish i had some of his money !!!!

My dad has loads of these family pics and hes going to scan me a disc full of them.I find them fascinating.