Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Fashions and the Petite Woman

JoesSweetheart

New in Town
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only woman here who runs on the shorter side of 'average'. ;)

I have found that wearing scooped or V necklines help, along with having my skirts and dresses hemmed to directly below the knee.

What do you find helps to create a longer, leaner silhouette?

VintageBee

One of the Regulars
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only woman here who runs on the shorter side of 'average'. ;)

I have found that wearing scooped or V necklines help, along with having my skirts and dresses hemmed to directly below the knee.

What do you find helps to create a longer, leaner silhouette?

I agree! I love long full skirts but at 5'3", I get swallowed up in anything more than two inches' below my knees! Also, anything to high up on my neck and I look like a turtle! (DEFINITELY NO TURTLENECKS!!)

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
I find that as long as I make sure my waist is clearly visible I look okay- even in ankle length skirts. Maybe I've gotten used to a more 40s silhouette now, because I swear it used to bother me!

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I'm 5'2" petite (USA) I too have grown accustomed to the 1940s silhouette. Here is what I find works best for me and my height.
I like to wear clothing that fits my size, nothing baggy, tight, or low rise. Very important to dress to fit your true size, petites always make the huge mistake of wearing clothing that is to big and tight. I always make sure I know my correct size and measurements. I like seeing my curves and waist, my clothing is never ever tight to achieve this look, comfort is what I shoot for.
I also like to accessories with belts to show off my waist, your true waist is right above your navel/belly button not below.

As for shoes flats, one inch heels(anything higher makes my feet hurt), and wedges.

I also choose to dress monochromatic http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochromatic_color This is what works best for me, I find I look leaner and a bit taller. The two colors I wear a lot are blue and red. One day I will be wearing all the colors in the blue hue, Navy, light blue, and teal, the same for the color red. Some days I'll even wear the colors red and blue together. If a dress or blouse/T-shirt has a pattern with a lot of blue or red in it I will absolutely wear it. Sometimes I wear white too, mostly blouses. I wear a lot of button downs and sweaters, my favorite sweaters both have stand up turtle neck collars, I am not a fan of cleavage.

When shopping for clothes I always carry a retractable mini-tape measure, this way when I am out I know that skirt or dress will fit my waist and height. One of my most favorite online shops sells clothing in all sizes plus petites ShopNational.com I find their clothing to be high quality.

During the winter months I like my skirts to be a little longer and cover my calf's, not cover my ankles. Most of my skirts are 2 inches pass the knees, this way when I sit my knees are still covered, I dislike cold knees.

In the summer if I am wearing shorts the length I find that works are culottes http://www.modestapparelusa.com/mod...odest-culottes/denim-drawstring-culottes.html or I'll wear capris or jeans rolled at the legs with keds.
I find being short to be a blessing.

Last edited:

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I avoid capris as I always feel they make me look shorter! I also wear monochrome, but am very fond of boat necks as these balance out my hips and I also don't like showing cleavage. As long as it's a 40's cut with a well defined waist I'm fine. Despite being a teacher and constantly having the kids say 'Miss, you are so little' (and occasionally having to stand on a box to write on the board!) I think I have finally come to terms with being petite.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Ohh, also I avoid anything fussy or frilly, anything with a handkerchief hem for example. Simple and uncluttered is best I think.

St. Louis

Practically Family
I really think it's a question of proportion. I'm barely 5'1" and I do wear the longer early to mid-30s styles. If they're tailored and have a defined waistline, I don't think they're too terrible. After all, a lot of women in the early 30s were small by today's standards, no?

Oct1934McCalls-19_zps768709df.jpg

Oct1934McCalls-14_zpscfcd31f9.jpg

I've made dresses like these from vintage patterns, and with the right heels, I don't think they frumpify me too much. Modern long dresses and skirts do tend to look dumpy on me. But I think that's because they're just loose and lumpy and don't fit very well.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the average height for women in the Era was about 5' 4". If you were 5' 6" or 5' 7" you were "statuesque," and if you were over that, your husband or boyfriend furtively browsed elevator-shoe ads in the back of "Popular Mechanics."

St. Louis

Practically Family
Well, that's what I think! It's funny, I never feel small until some twoodle-head feels a need to inform me of that fact. Some lady told me once, "my goodness, aren't you short! Short! So short! My! Short, short, short!" (I quote her verbatim.)

I had no idea what to respond, so I just said, "Thanks, I'll get right on it."

She looked offended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ