Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Fonts

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Courier New" is similar to a typewriter, although there is one called vintage typewriter which I love, Broadway is a Typical Deco Font"

as are

DecoFontsSM.jpg

I like "Anastasia", but "Plaza Suite" looks a bit "Squiffy" as if one has had too many champagne Cocktails at the Plaza Bar

Naphtali

Practically Family
Bombshell Becca said:
(I didn't really know where to ask this)

Does anyone know of a good site to get free Art Deco fonts? Or a typewriter font?
Drop me a line for PostScript Type 1 fonts. I can't help you with TrueType or Unitype -- although I may be able to alter T-1s with software?
Does anyone know of a source for computer-generated version of Copperplate Gothic, also known as Copperplate Hand? This is the calligraphic writing style used in the Declaration of Independence.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are usually loads of fonts added to your system when you add almost any graphics program - the cheapie business card or brochure CDs you find at Staples and other office suppliers, or the various greeting card programs. Ditto any word processing program like Word or WordPerfect or the like.

And check what's already installed on your system. Windows comes with the already mentioned Courier New, but AmericanType, Pica and Letter Gothic (although the latter's more a 60s IBM Selectric look).

And RE: using fonts on a Web site. The font face will only show on computers that have that exact same font installed on their system. If they don't, it'll change to a plain universal display font. And with a Web site, be sure once you've published it that you look on as many different computers (not your own) that you can. Things will look markedly different with different screen sizes & resolutions, different fonts installed, different default font sizes set by each user and so forth. I deal with a lot of people who wonder why their Web sites aren't generating anticipated results, and it's usually something like that. "Well, it looks great on my high def 42" at home!" and then they look at it elsewhere and it's a jumble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21