Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage" foods that are still with us today.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
These from The Ladies' Home Journal, July 1944,... with recipes! I was surprised that I recognized most of the brands that were advertised.

0fdeba20.jpg

Who could resist a yummy entree of Spam?

ledsled

One of the Regulars
TIAS.com

People reading this thread might like reading the recipes that arrive in an electronic newsletter sent out by an antique website.

I think the website is: www.tias.com

If you sign up for the newsletter, every one has a recipe towards the bottom of it. Some of them are quite interesting, as the people posting the recipe usually include the origin of it.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Turkey leftovers

Serial Hero said:
If you check the fridge in the office I work at you will find all kinds of “vintage” food.:eek:

Your comment reminds me of Thanksgiving leftovers. My father would dig out a meat grinder and make "turkey spread". As he got older, his turkey spread became more exciting... and dangerous for consumption. You could measure the progress of his senility by how many unidentifiable things things would get ground up!

book_lover

Familiar Face
ledsled said:
Your comment reminds me of Thanksgiving leftovers. My father would dig out a meat grinder and make "turkey spread". As he got older, his turkey spread became more exciting... and dangerous for consumption. You could measure the progress of his senility by how many unidentifiable things things would get ground up!

ooooh nooo!!

noone mentioned coca cola? that's vintage, surely?

Here in the UK we have Gentleman's relish - has anchovies in it....

What about Marmite? That's vintage I think. Tomato ketchup? Here it is "Heinz" which is (and I think, has always been) the market leader.

Spam - bleurgh!

green papaya

One Too Many
pork rinds, available at most Mexican food markets, these are the authentic deep fried pork rinds "Chicharrones" good old fashioned artery clogging delights!

rincon021104e.jpg

MexicanBakeryGoods-DSCN4497.JPG

and Mexican style pasteries

tastes like old fashioned bakery food

chick_dinners.jpg

fried chicken dinners were very popular back in the golden era, and are still just as popular now as they were back then.

memaws%20fried%20chicken-799259.jpg

http://www.accessvehicles.com/pigroast05/jimandpig.jpg

whole roast pigs

book_lover

Familiar Face
green papaya said:
chick_dinners.jpg

fried chicken dinners were very popular back in the golden era, and are still just as popular now as they were back then.

Because they are so fiiiiine! This will be the first thing I try if I ever get to America. I bet you get better than KFC which is the best we can do round here.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
green papaya said:
MexicanBakeryGoods-DSCN4497.JPG

and Mexican style pasteries

tastes like old fashioned bakery food

I love Mexican pastries! They are quite popular here and my coworkers bring them into the office weekly. They always come in such odd colors and flavors - bright pink, yellow, seafoam green... pumpkin, papaya, etc.

Haversack

One Too Many
It is worth keeping in mind that during the Golden Age, chicken was not the cheap meat it has become today. (in both the economic and quality sense). It was a special treat to have chicken for dinner. The old expression of "chicken every Sunday" was a way of saying you were doing well.

Haversack.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Haversack said:
It was a special treat to have chicken for dinner. The old expression of "chicken every Sunday" was a way of saying you were doing well.

Where did beef rank?

Barry

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Where did beef rank?

Ok, I'm really bored today... So I referred to the 1942 edition of Statistical Abstracts.

Retail Prices of Food

No. 403. - Prices, average Retail, of Principal Articles of Food 1924 to 1942.
Note: Pries in cents per pound.

Looks to me like chicken might have been the #2 most expensive meat listed during a number of years. Round steak was by far the most expensive meat listed. Chuck roast was not very expensive. Also, after 1929, the price of a leg of lamb dropped off big time...

Barry

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Here's one I've never heard of. Maybe, (thankfully) this one fell by the wayside.

It's Prem!

dies-home-com-feb-41-006.jpg

Must have been too much competition from that other more notable canned, uhhm,... "meat" product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points