Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage" foods that are still with us today.

book_lover

Familiar Face
happyfilmluvguy said:
marshmallowfluff.jpg

what the heck is THAT?

MB5

One of the Regulars
Van Camp's Pork and Beans

I stumbled across an ad in the December 20, 1919 issue of The Literary Digest for them. Granted, it's not a Golden Age ad, but they never stopped making them as far as I know.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
1802.gif

All those Spam and Prem posts make me point out Manischewitz was founded in 1888 in Cincinnati, and moved to Jersey in 1932. They make 29430 different things but the wine is classic; it also goes really nicely in Dr. Pepper. lol

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Twitch said:
BTW- the hispanic TV stations still have ads on portraying Spam as some sort of real yummy stuff. [huh]

In Chile, during the worst days of Salvador Allende's presidency, there was little meat to be had outside of the black market. The best that one could hope to find on market shelves was what Chileans called "chancho chino", or "Chinese piggie". Basically, it was a Spam-like product imported from China. To this day, Chileans associate the later Allende years with "chancho chino". Not surprisingly, Spam is difficult to find in Chilean markets today -- no one wants to eat it again!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm not ashamed to admit that I actually like Spam. Scoff if you must, but fried up in a skillet and served with scrambled eggs, it makes a very tasty breakfast for a cold winter morning. And if you really want to get ambitious/if you're really desperate, glaze it up with a brown-sugar/spicy mustard blend and bake it in the oven -- it makes a very nice substitute for ham. (One year we even had a Baked Spam for Thanksgiving!)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Paisley said:
Have you been looking for [Spam in Chile]?

Supermarkets in upscale Santiago neighborhoods have a section for "American foods", catering to the gringo expats who live there.
In that section of the supermarket, you find three things that Chileans never consume: maple syrup, grape juice, and Spam.

I love maple syrup ... so whenever I'd buy any, those cans of Spam would stare out at me from the section's shelves.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I found out today that Ranch Style Beans are a 1930s product. They're also a product of my town, Fort Worth! Today's paper ran an article about the closing of the original plant, opened in 1913, to move to another spot in the city. Supposedly they were a favorite of Elizabeth Taylor, Humphrey Bogart, and Grace Kelly, and were served at President Johnson's ranch on many occasions

foodlocker_1916_54305996

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Supermarkets in upscale Santiago neighborhoods have a section for "American foods", catering to the gringo expats who live there.
In that section of the supermarket, you find three things that Chileans never consume: maple syrup, grape juice, and Spam.

I love maple syrup ... so whenever I'd buy any, those cans of Spam would stare out at me from the section's shelves.

Waiiit... they don't drink grape juice? The noblest of all fruit juices?:eek: [huh]

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I'm not ashamed to admit that I actually like Spam. Scoff if you must, but fried up in a skillet and served with scrambled eggs, it makes a very tasty breakfast for a cold winter morning. And if you really want to get ambitious/if you're really desperate, glaze it up with a brown-sugar/spicy mustard blend and bake it in the oven -- it makes a very nice substitute for ham. (One year we even had a Baked Spam for Thanksgiving!)
Spam is one of my favorites for breakfast, too! I usually fry up the whole can, eat a few slices for breakfast, then make sandwiches from the rest for lunch. Mmmm, mmm!

My wife would not eat Spam when we first got married, though her father loves it, too. I changed her mind, though. Now she will actually request it on occassion. Now, though, we've switched to the SPAM Lite for the lower sodium.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
I'm not ashamed to admit that I actually like Spam. Scoff if you must, but fried up in a skillet and served with scrambled eggs, it makes a very tasty breakfast for a cold winter morning.

Hey, I'm not ashamed to admit I enjoy the occasional Spam. When we're camping, we frequently eat this for breakfast. Spam is easy to carry (especially in those new little foil packets that hold a single slice) and requires no refrigeration, and will keep forever. Plus, it is pretty versatile. The sad part is that the last time we went camping and cooked this for breakfast, I actually took a photo:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/Camping - Ft Richardson/DSCN1169.jpg

Served on a melamine Texas Ware plate, no less!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
Hey, I'm not ashamed to admit I enjoy the occasional Spam. When we're camping, we frequently eat this for breakfast. Spam is easy to carry (especially in those new little foil packets that hold a single slice) and requires no refrigeration, and will keep forever. Plus, it is pretty versatile. The sad part is that the last time we went camping and cooked this for breakfast, I actually took a photo:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/pmburk/Camping - Ft Richardson/DSCN1169.jpg

Served on a melamine Texas Ware plate, no less!

Is that Spam eggs and Spam??? lol

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Spam makes me cry... I mean it doesnt taste that bad but... come on theres much better foods than that... Hell why substitute Spam for Ham when you could just have Ham? Answer me that ^_-

Speaking of weird substitutes tho... Whats with Soy "Milk"? Milk is nowhere involved in that equation... thats like insisting tuna is chicken of the sea. no...Chicken of the sea is when I throw a Hen into the Intercostal ^_- (Note: please don't throw animals into the ocean unless they lived there before ^_-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21