Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage" foods that are still with us today.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
McPeppers the bit about chicken of the sea made me snort coffee. You're a very bad man!lol

I drink vanilla soy milk, but indeed there is not much milk about it. It just works with most of the things milk works with. Apparently "bean juice" doesn't do as much for sales?

CharlieH.

One Too Many
You think soy milk is bad? Mother once tried these soy sausages in hot dogs. After that, the thought of a hot dog frightened me to tears.... as did the sight of a Dachshund.
She went at it again some time afterwards with these "soy burgers"....

Now, back on topic:

CheerioatsThm.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
McPeppers said:
Spam makes me cry... I mean it doesnt taste that bad but... come on theres much better foods than that... Hell why substitute Spam for Ham when you could just have Ham? Answer me that ^_-
Why eat a hamburger when you can get filet mignon? Why eat fried chicken if you can have Chicken Florentine? Sometimes it just tastes good and fits the budget! I like Spam. Plus it's quick and easy.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Plus it takes a lot less time to cook a Spam than a ham -- and when you're cooking for one, it's pretty economical, too.

I liked it better, though, when the can had that little key on the bottom. Pull tabs are for weenies.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
Why eat a hamburger when you can get filet mignon? Why eat fried chicken if you can have Chicken Florentine?

Well see thats a funny question, right now in my fridge i have both a Filet Mignion and Ultra-Lean Ground Beef for use in burgers. See the comparision between Filet and Burgers is unfair. Because they both (Usually) come from the same animal and serve completely different meal times (Hamburgers are for lunch (or Elevensies), steak is for dinner) However Ham and Span share little in common other than their last two letters and are both edible. Spam is a mish-mash of Chicken and Pork. It is closer to Turducken than it is to ham. :p

Here's a little blurb I just found "Like most other luncheon meats, Spam is precooked. However, Spam is often pan-fried or otherwise heated through again to impart a pleasing texture and flavor"

So what yer telling me is that like my microwave tells me... before it is blessed with this holy flavor it isnt good...and magically becomes "Food" once you change it :p That seems an awful lot of work. Whereas with Steak and Ham I find they have a pleasing taste before you tamper with it ^_-.

Superior Meats with Superior Tastes *thinks* Hey wasnt that on an advertisement...I could have sworn... lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
And as I said - Spam travels well, requires no refrigeration, keeps forever, and is versatile. For those of us that enjoy the outdoors, it is the perfect camping food.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
McPeppers said:
Spam makes me cry... I mean it doesnt taste that bad but... come on theres much better foods than that... Hell why substitute Spam for Ham when you could just have Ham? Answer me that ^_-

Speaking of weird substitutes tho... Whats with Soy "Milk"? Milk is nowhere involved in that equation... thats like insisting tuna is chicken of the sea. no...Chicken of the sea is when I throw a Hen into the Intercostal ^_- (Note: please don't throw animals into the ocean unless they lived there before ^_-)

Anything soy or soy-related makes me cry. lol

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Plus it takes a lot less time to cook a Spam than a ham -- and when you're cooking for one, it's pretty economical, too.

I liked it better, though, when the can had that little key on the bottom. Pull tabs are for weenies.

Cook a Spam? hehe that makes it seem like someone went out and shot a Spam.. poor little Chickenpig blob... And Spam is precooked in the can so the proper comparison is pre-sliced pre-seasoned hams that come in those Deli packages. Doesn't really take that long at all to cook those...infact you don't have to if yer crunched for time lol.

And I agree...pull tabs are for weenies. Even if i see a pull tab i still use my can-opener. I'm not letting that thing become a waste of money dangit ><

Anyhow heres my real contribution to this thread.

admsp57b.jpg
adpicnic.jpg
ad1963c.jpg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
McPeppers said:
Cook a Spam? hehe that makes it seem like someone went out and shot a Spam poor little Chickenpig blob...

You have never hunted Spam? My, those Spam are crafty little buggers. You could wait all night and never see one.

Kinda like hunting snipe. lol

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
fortworthgal said:
You have never hunted Spam? My, those Spam are crafty little buggers. You could wait all night and never see one.

Kinda like hunting snipe. lol

Yeah I've only hunted the elusive Jackalope...Frightful creature. He's mounted on my wall...its the famous jackalope "Jack-Ching-Bada-Bing"

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I have a couple of books about old roadside diners. They include several illustrations of old menus in them, and I was very surprised to see how similar most of the offerings were to what's found on menus today.

-MC

Barry

Practically Family
The Lock Ober

There's a restuarant in Boston called the Lock-Ober. They have little "vintage" menus that you can pick up and take home - at least they did several years back. It has changed hands some time ago.

I guess if we ever have a FL event in Boston the Lock-Ober would be on the list. If not for dinner at least for a drink.

It is an interesting place.

I found the menu:

Lock Ober Menu From 1939

Filet mignon for 2 bucks

A large lobster for 2.50

Barry

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Matt Crunk said:
I have a couple of books about old roadside diners. They include several illustrations of old menus in them, and I was very surprised to see how similar most of the offerings were to what's found on menus today.

-MC

and what books would these be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana