Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage" foods that are still with us today.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Actually, soy milk is a traditional asian beverage but we don't try to pass it off as a "milk" substitute. When you get it in Asia, they either give you a cold glass of it with sugar to eat with sao bing (which is a sort of Chinese doughnut). There is also a salted soy milk, which is served hot, and is almost a breakfast soup. Alotta good memories having sao bing brunches with the family when I was little. I don't know if the place we used to go to in Queens, NY is still open but there are all sorts of little ghetto Chinese breakfast places here in Taiwan. Maybe we should drive out to Chinatown next time we have a Fedora Lounge meet in NYC?

Barry

Practically Family
Ghos7a55assin said:
Maybe we should drive out to Chinatown next time we have a Fedora Lounge meet in NYC?

My sister lived there for a while. We found a good place for food but and the duck is especially good. My friend said the food is Taiwanese and Cantonese. I haven't been in almost a year now. Hopefully it hasn't changed. It's called Oriental Garden and its on Elizabeth Street.

Barry

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
McPeppers said:
Spam makes me cry...

Me too.

McPeppers said:
Speaking of weird substitutes tho... Whats with Soy "Milk"? Milk is nowhere involved in that equation...

Ther are a lot of things that come from plants that carry the term of 'milk'. Coconut milk, being one of them. Plants have white 'milk' that can come from their stems (dandelions come to mind) when they are picked. Folks are just hung up on the white liquid part of it all I guess.

As for me, give me yummy soy milk (with my oatmeal please) and give me not death :)

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ikk64.jpg

I sold these, well NOT back when this was the box, but you get the idea...
:)

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
coco_wheats.jpg

'Member these :D

Coco Wheats Coco Wheats cant be beat
its the creamy hot cereal with the coco treat
to be big and strong, have lots of fun
eat Coco Wheats everyone!

Um alright, Ima go now

LD:rolleyes:

Vintage Veggies

olive bleu said:
hey! I'm vegetarian...anything in this thread that i can eat??
The plant portion of man's diet has been around since our inception, there has to be some stuff that is vintage. Canned food starts at the time of Napoleon if I remember right.

Whatabout Campells Beans?

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
candy too

Tootsie Rolls have been around for quite a while, maybe close to 100 years.
I haven't seen Turkish Taffy anywhere for a while. Is this still being made ?

olive bleu

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
The plant portion of man's diet has been around since our inception, there has to be some stuff that is vintage. Canned food starts at the time of Napoleon if I remember right.

What about Campells Beans?
yeah definitely, campbells soups in general all became popular in the 30's i think.I am sure If i had been living back then i would have managed, just like i do now...a nice tomato sandwich?

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
off the top of my head...

My kids eat Maypo every morning for breakfast.
I use "Jiffy" mix (vs. Bisquick)

I have to scour the cuboard for more... :D

Flivver

Practically Family
SPAM

For all you SPAM fans out there, I wanted to mention that SPAM has put out a special 70th anniversary can with a brief history of the product on the back. It says:

1937...The first cans of SPAM roll off the assembly line. Originally called HORMEL Spiced Ham, the company holds a contest to create a name. Kenneth Daigneau wins naming contest by coming up with SPAM.

My mom tells me that during WWII, they often ate SPAM when other meats were unavailable. She served it frequently when I was a child, and I still enjoy it immensely. I think it brings back happy childhood memories. Sometimes there's just nothing better than baked SPAM with mustard, or SPAM 'n eggs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana